RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Fuel burning heater not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>

shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Just to let you all know, after running most of last winter with no FBH as it had packed in, the indie ran loads of tests on it, and it just wouldnt run, the other morning it fired up, no drama, chucked smoke out for a few minutes and then cleared. it has worked ever since. So im warmer quicker, plus ive saved a grand by not buying a new one Razz 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #402333 Fri Nov 15 2013 11:06pm
skilachi

Hello,

Think my FBH too decided to come back to life or locked out. Haven't driven the car the months and battery was totally flat/dead. Each time i tried to start car with jumper cable attached to another car battery and a low fuel indicator.

Changed the battery to a new one and car starts normally with no HDC suspension error anymore which I used to get with the flat battery. Last night was driving and had the heater on to almost full dial and noticed the heater underneath the passenger seat started to make some crackling noise (has anyone encountered that) when heater is set to full for both passenger and driver side?

I reduced the heating dial knob and parked then all of a sudden noticed some smoke and could smell something like burning under the fog light/in front of the car. initially I thought it was the philips daylight LED running lights i recently fitted to the car, but that seems to be ok as no burning cable or rubber. I switched off the ignition and opened the bonnet and could hear a noise/running sound on the FBH for about 30secs after the turning the car off.

To be honest, not sure if it that meant the FBH has started working or locked out and for the 3 years i've got the car, i've never noticed the FBH unit with that running sound/noise

Post #402362 Sat Nov 16 2013 9:22am
MBaker

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Hi Rob,

Any chance of a link to DL the software please?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Post #403383 Sat Nov 23 2013 8:01pm
RobP

DL Link sent Thumbs Up TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #404016 Thu Nov 28 2013 12:24am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

skilachi wrote:
Hello,

Think my FBH too decided to come back to life or locked out. Haven't driven the car the months and battery was totally flat/dead.

Get yourself a Ctek - I now have one with an adapter from Martin plugged in caravan electric socket as I sometimes leave RRS in garage for a while Bow down

I see Lr now sell them as an accessory on the new RRS website - is that an omen Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #404028 Thu Nov 28 2013 9:34am
MBaker

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Success!!!

It's alive!!!

Think this means it works! Very Happy

Many thanks to Rob for the great help! Much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Post #404485 Sun Dec 01 2013 9:14pm
RobP

Good to see another FBH lives. Well done Thumbs Up TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #404536 Sun Dec 01 2013 11:23pm
jpvd

United Kingdom 

Hi all .i know this is an old thread, but i am having the same issue.

Could someone clarify how you can manually jumpstart the fbh in order to test it is working?

Which wore do i need to connect to the battery to turn it on?

Many thanks in advance

Post #637816 Sun Dec 03 2023 5:38pm
jpvd

United Kingdom 

Ok..quick update...i checked fuse 28 and it was blown. So i inserted a new fuse, the fbh powered on, ran, then stopped and it smelt of burning - little smoke coming from the intake air pipe on the fbh. Fuse had popped again.

I am guessing it is all clogged up and unable to light, so is blowing the fuse. If thats correct i just need to take it off and give it a good clean out ....does this sound feasible?

Thanks again

Post #637817 Sun Dec 03 2023 6:38pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Doesn't cost anything to take it out and clean it,,, not sure if a choked combustion chamber would cause a fuse to blow,, but separate the two halves take out the burner tube and see what the chamber is like. Would be worth checking the water pump and the wiring harness to the heater,,, might possibly be the circuit board that controls the fan etc.

There isn't a single wire to jump in order to start the heater,, it has its own supply and is triggered by the Cambus system,,, I think. What you need is the webasto software,,, you can do almost anything with it,,, interrogate the heater, reset codes and lockouts and force each component to run for test purposes,,, or simply run the heater and view each component in real time allowing you to follow the progress of the ignition sequence etc. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #637818 Sun Dec 03 2023 8:20pm
jpvd

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info...

I will remove and test everything...should be able to test each element on its own and see if anything doesn't work or starts to smoke πŸ˜†....it was strange how it powered up instantly, ran for a few seconds then thr fuse must have popped and there was a burning smell and smoke coming out of the air intake on the the heater....makes me think it could be the glow plug

Will get it taken off and stripped down and take it from there. Hopefully it's a simply fix! (Fingers crossed!)

Post #637819 Mon Dec 04 2023 12:26am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I’m thinking water pump if it’s not been run for ages.

Post #637820 Mon Dec 04 2023 7:53am
jpvd

United Kingdom 

Thanks andy....that could have burnt out...problem is if it has can tou buy just that part or would i only be able to buy the whole fbh? There are loads on ebay, which aren't that expensive so i am tempted to just swap it all out.

Also i am assuming the fbh will have its own fuel pump?...i was considering checking thats working first...but no idea where it is located?....is it behind the wheel arch?

I really need to buy a haynes manual! πŸ˜†πŸ€¦

Many thanks

Post #637821 Mon Dec 04 2023 9:14am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The coolant pump is under the FBH
Follow the coolant pipes and it should be obvious.

Post #637823 Mon Dec 04 2023 11:18am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

You can buy quite a few individual parts,,, some parts you cannot get,,, and some are stupid money. The fuel pump delivers a metered amount of fuel and is buried somewhere in the depths of time,,,, this is where the software program is invaluable. You can function test most things without even having to find them. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #637832 Mon Dec 04 2023 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>