RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Fuel burning heater not starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>

erikh

Norway 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

The sigarette 12v outlet is live only so I'll have to keep ignition on, will that pose a problem?

Post #372104 Sun Feb 03 2013 10:06pm
RobP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

erikh wrote:
The sigarette 12v outlet is live only so I'll have to keep ignition on, will that pose a problem?

I may do as I believe the car should be asleep for the software to work correctly TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #372111 Sun Feb 03 2013 10:36pm
erikh

Norway 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

So where do I get the male socket/connector to this female? I do not know what it is called.... Spoke to the Webasto service guy and he connects to it to get both +, - and WBUS but didn't know the correct part name for the male end.

erikh wrote:

Post #372172 Mon Feb 04 2013 2:56pm
RobP

erikh wrote:
So where do I get the male socket/connector to this female? I do not know what it is called.... Spoke to the Webasto service guy and he connects to it to get both +, - and WBUS but didn't know the correct part name for the male end.

I don't think you really need a connector at all, do what the Webasto tech suggests and connect your test lead wires to that sockets BUT Exclamation
You MUST first verify that the cables on your test lead are going to the correct pins on your OBDII lead. Use a mulitmeter to do this and then verify the three required wires on the connector.

CHECK, CHECK and then CHECK again as I think this may be how you blew the fuse the first time?

What amp-age was the glass fuse? It is possible that your OBDII lead is drawing too much but I doubt it. I have seen them wired with 1 Amp fuses TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #372179 Mon Feb 04 2013 3:51pm
RobP

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I have now made up a couple of adapter leads using the OBD 2x2 lead from page 4 of this post I have amended my original instructions to stress the need to check wiring colours as three leads have been wired using a different combination of colours. i.e. in some the red has been +ve and other -ve and the K bus has been present on the black on some cables and red on others.

So please do not just follow the original wire colour to pin table for the OBD 2x2 lead Thumbs Up

TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #372239 Mon Feb 04 2013 11:11pm
madmackie

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Big thanks to rob got my lead and tried it yesterday(Saturday) cleared faults primed Fbh it started but then switched off it said cooling 2 strange Embarassed spoke to rob who said his was the same thought it was something to do with Fbh glow plug.started it this morning and it kicked in Thumbs Up went out tonight drove 15 miles to my mates so the car was well and truly warm when I pulled up he came out and then there was this almighty bonfire the Fbh well and truly kicked in and went for 20 mins t must have cleared all the crap out.hope this is it and sorted thanks again rob top bloke cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up "Remember its easier to say sorry than it is to get permission " especially off the Mrs !!

Post #375548 Sun Mar 03 2013 11:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RobP

madmackie wrote:
Big thanks to rob got my lead and tried it yesterday(Saturday) cleared faults primed Fbh it started but then switched off it said cooling 2 strange Embarassed spoke to rob who said his was the same thought it was something to do with Fbh glow plug.started it this morning and it kicked in Thumbs Up went out tonight drove 15 miles to my mates so the car was well and truly warm when I pulled up he came out and then there was this almighty bonfire the Fbh well and truly kicked in and went for 20 mins t must have cleared all the crap out.hope this is it and sorted thanks again rob top bloke cheers Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

No problem Pete, glad you got it working

Good to talk to you Thumbs Up

Rob TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #375589 Mon Mar 04 2013 4:03pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I've managed to get hold of a copy of the workshop manual for the Webasto Thermo Top V. It gives lots of info relating to how the device works, how to troubleshoot it and how to service it.

Having paid $9 to download it from Scribd.com, I found out that it's available free at other, potentially less friendly, sites. (I've made use of the 24 hour pass I got for my $9 and downloaded a load of other stuff too so not so bad - a nearly-600 page book about the Space Shuttle for a start. Should keep me busy!).

I'll stick it in my gallery should anyone want a copy. If anyone feels like donating to the forum in exchange, well that would be nice Wink

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...en-WEB.pdf 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #377533 Tue Mar 19 2013 10:34pm
kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

That's the spirit.

Good work folks!

I can confirm that the FBH doesn't lock out if you start the car more than 3 times whilst fuel reserve light is on. I drove mine for a couple of days while it was i reserve...starting it approx 8 times. After I filled up the FBH kicked in as normal Smile Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic28424.html

Post #377537 Tue Mar 19 2013 11:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mine was locked out recently so I bought the IID Tool (been meaning to for a while anyway). Cleared the fault code and lock out and the FBH worked fine on Saturday and again on Monday morning. This morning it wouldn't run - it tried to start and, after a bit of smoke - shut down. Cleared the fault again but still it wouldn't restart (note: there was no lock-out fault code, just a "couldn't restart" code). I was down to about a 1/4 of a tank at this point. I filled up on the way home this evening so tomorrow I shall see whether it starts properly or not (temp permitting of course).

I note in the manual that having less than 1/4 tank of fuel can cause bubbles in the fuel line which causes smoking and intermittent burning leading to a shut down. Will be interested to see if filling it up results in a correct run tomorrow.

I'm also intending to make up the test lead and look at the FBH using the Webasto software just to see what it says. Note: I found the links to the software in this thread don't work (goes to a secure page) but the one in the Disco3 wiki article does work (goes to a freely available page).

All a bit annoying in a "premium" vehicle but it's better than 1.5hr round trips to the dealer! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #377539 Tue Mar 19 2013 11:32pm
kav1187

I'm not sure what you can do with the IID tool but you can test the various components of the FBH using the Webasto software.

The software can be downloaded through this link...

http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_main/the...g_2_14.exe

You might just need to give it a good purge. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

Post #377548 Wed Mar 20 2013 1:06am
skilachi

Hi, the Bosch battery fitted to you car, do you know what Ah and CCA its got and is it fitted to a range rover sport 2005/06? I'm trying to get a battery for my RRS.

Post #401974 Wed Nov 13 2013 9:27pm
kav1187

It's a 2006 RRS. I sold it in March so I'm afraid I'm unable to help you. I'm sure if you start a new thread in the technical section someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Want to do a DIY job on your car? Check out the definitive 'how to' thread in the technical section Thumbs Up

Post #402095 Thu Nov 14 2013 5:08pm
RobP

skilachi wrote:
Hi, the Bosch battery fitted to you car, do you know what Ah and CCA its got and is it fitted to a range rover sport 2005/06? I'm trying to get a battery for my RRS.

Try Euro Car Parts Stick in your reg number and it will give you the batteries.

Check the length of the battery quoted to make sure it is no bigger than 353mm as they have a habit of suggesting one that is 393mm in length which won't fit. I got the Exide one with the 4yr guarantee. If you use the promo code BATTERY15 it giv es you 15% off TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Post #402107 Thu Nov 14 2013 6:46pm
skilachi

Thanks RobP, already picked one up this morning at euro car parts in wembley. Got the Exide as well 100Ah, 900CCA with 20% discount code of Battery20.

Post #402109 Thu Nov 14 2013 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>