Home > General (L494) > Another crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>

Mark314

United Kingdom 
Re: Another crank failure

Dobby wrote:
Mark314 wrote:
My Sport was purchased from this dealer, it has been serviced there, and I purchased the extended warranty in Feb this year, it’s an MY15 SDV6 AB with 73Kmiles

Mark, did you extend the 2 year approved used warranty that no doubt came with the vehicle when you bought it? Or was this warranty the dealers own from purchase?

I’m about to get to the end of my 2 year approved used warranty and wondering if I should extend it because of the crank problems.

Cheers

I extended the 2 years approved warranty I received after buying my sport. It was done on the LR website after they sent me a warning the warranty was expiring. ------------------------------------------------------------------
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR - Eiger Grey
2015 Range Rover Sport AB SDV6 - Aruba/Grey - Gone

Post #586127 Sat Aug 31 2019 7:38am
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 
Re: Another crank failure

Mark314 wrote:
About 10 days ago driving back from Norfolk via A14 I felt some vibrations when driving, seconds later a bang and then complete loss of power. I managed to coast safely to the side of the road but it was going no further.

Having lurked around this forum for some time I knew what the problem was as soon as it happened.

My vehicle is covered by extended warranty so it was a quick call to LR assist, no messing about they arranged for straight recovery, not even bothering with the investigation stage. Took 6 hours to get home, after a short break at South Mimms to switch relay service. Trip is normally 2.5 hours so not bad considering, I was kept informed of what to expect by LR Assist regularly.

Sport was recovered to my local dealer next day and was looked at couple of days later, in the meantime I was been provided with an f-pace via Enterprise.

Next day dealer confirmed it was a seized crank, and it was definitely not covered by the extended warranty. Dealer said they would contact Land Rover for goodwill payment, and advised they expected 100% goodwill, they also checked what car I had been provided with and later contacted Enterprise who then found me a MY19 sport instead of the F-pace.

My Sport was purchased from this dealer, it has been serviced there, and I purchased the extended warranty in Feb this year, it’s an MY15 SDV6 AB with 73Kmiles

Few days later dealer has confirmed all costs for engine replacement will be covered by goodwill, and the new engine has been ordered, should be back with me next week.

I understand things break, what’s important to me is how the suppliers respond. In my case I cannot fault LR Assist, the dealer, or Land Rover. I wanted to share my story to show there are good dealers out there, and Land Rover are not abandoning all customers who experience this issue, it's a shame Land Rover do not confirm they will cover all affected vehicles, instead of treated each case on its merits, I did have a couple of nervous days waiting for confirmation, but it does not appear to be a lost cause.

Good chance I will now replace mine with a new P400 HST early next year Very Happy

Mark

Glad all ok Mark.

These are amazing cars - I still have an intermittent airbag light issue on the dash - stopped annoying me now - just go with the flow - did a 160 mile round trip yesterday - loved every minute / mile it consumed - with all the inherent issues the SDV6 has, i have to agree - its a cracking engine - in Dynamic mode, the gear change is so smooth combined with the power delivery, one would think to was driven by a CVT gearbox.

My 2 year dealer warranty will run out next may - expect to keep the car for at least another year so will extend the warranty - thanks for sharing approx costs. Car has 25k miles so hoping plenty of life left in her yet...

Rgds
Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #586239 Mon Sep 02 2019 12:16pm
micalee

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Are there any engines that this does not affect? And will a main dealer offer a guarantee fix if there are any issues? I really want a 3.0 SDV6 but this single issue and the thought of being massively out of pocket has put me right off.

Post #601016 Mon Jun 29 2020 7:07pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Just make sure you have a warranty, any brand of car can have expensive problems, include the cost in your purchase budget. To reduce costs up you can always just take a warranty direct core package that covers the engine if that’s what you wanted Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #601027 Tue Jun 30 2020 5:38am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

As Dave says,any brand can have problems so a good warranty is worth the money Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #601028 Tue Jun 30 2020 5:57am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Andy let me know of your experiences with eBay. My wife is selling her SLK but she has loaded the adverts on the free sites first. If it doesn’t shift then it will be the paid usual suspects. PM me if you prefer Thumbs Up . 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #601037 Tue Jun 30 2020 8:02am
Tyrefitter

If you use ebay,list on a classified ad,you only pay once about £20-£25 per ad,if you list as auction you get stung for 10%. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #601040 Tue Jun 30 2020 8:26am
Chips

England 

Dave-t wrote:
Just make sure you have a warranty, any brand of car can have expensive problems, include the cost in your purchase budget. To reduce costs up you can always just take a warranty direct core package that covers the engine if that’s what you wanted

I have just had this issue with my 2018 ( see other thread ) and while it was within warranty the dealer said providing you bought and serviced it through them that there would be good will from LR outside of warranty as it's such a known issue MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #601074 Tue Jun 30 2020 7:50pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

After reading extensively on disco4.com I think once outside of the original warranty period then it really is luck of the draw, there are so many variations I wouldn’t hang my hat on LR helping out Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #601076 Tue Jun 30 2020 8:17pm
sterling01

Scotland 

It astonished me that the term "goodwill gesture" is used so often by LR. The term suggests that LR would not normally pay out on a particular claim, but on this occasion, as a gesture of goodwill, they will cover the cost. Surely as long as you have serviced the car to the manufacturers schedule, a warranty claim should be honoured.

I previously had a 2007 TDV8 and regret selling it. I now have a 2017 Audi A8 and am looking to sell it and get an L494. But I'm back on this forum reading horror stories about this car and the SDV6 engine. So whats the point of buying from a LR dealer if it is a complete hit and miss if they ever pay out on a claim?

Would Warranty Direct or Warranty Wise cover the crank shaft? Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #601337 Sun Jul 05 2020 11:09pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

WD seem to be the best bet.

I had a WW warranty once, never again, I paid to replace an engine........

LR approved used/extended warranty isn’t LR, I think it’s car plan and they don’t pay based on known fault. Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #601344 Mon Jul 06 2020 6:35am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

LR's extended warranty try not to pay out on the crank but there have been discussions about taking it to the insurance ombudsman - the ombudsman takes a dim view of weasel word get out clauses and could well force them to pay out - especially as the warranty claims to cover the crank in the big word section, but then has the "we won't pay if it's a known fault" bit in the small words section. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #601346 Mon Jul 06 2020 8:14am
Goodfella

England 

Tyrefitter wrote:
It’s good to hear some good news about the crankshaft failure getting fixed for a change,When I purchased my15 AB in March I got it in writing from the supplying dealer that they will cover the crankshaft in case of failure.

Mr Fitter,

Could you elaborate on how you got this please? I assume literally just asking The sales rep, was it via email?

I’m looking at buying an approved used but if the warranty doesn’t cover a crankshaft failure what’s the point.. I might as well save a few thousand buying privately and get a warranty direct policy..

Post #601607 Sun Jul 12 2020 8:13am
Tyrefitter

I insisted they put it in writing that they would cover the crankshaft in case it failed,if not then I won’t buy the car.If your in the market for one mines up for sale as I’m leaving LR products as I’ve had 7 sports & a few full fats in the past.Also LR only offer 12 months warranty now instead of the 2 years they used to offer,I got the 2 years on mine just before they changed it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124231988361 Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #601613 Sun Jul 12 2020 10:25am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

My AB is 3 years old in November, I will probably keep it for 6 months & do a VT on the pcp as my gfv is a lot higher than trade money even now, never mind then, as I need to keep it in year 4 I have discussed a policy with warranty direct, they have assured me they know about the crank issues & it is covered, for my age & mileage on vehicle it’s only £400 for 12 months with every option included.
I wouldn’t bother about buying an sdv6 from a JLR dealer now as you only get 12 month warranty & a warranty direct policy seems to cover a lot more, plus you are not paying an inflated margin on your car.

Post #601614 Sun Jul 12 2020 10:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>