RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Another crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>

timhum

United Kingdom 

I'm confused about how common crankshaft failure is. Its been posted on the forum that it is quite common and very expensive to fix. If that is the case how can WD provide a full warranty for only £400.00 that includes it? As an insurance company with access to a lot of data on which to base their quote they must calculated that the probability of this event is very low.

Am I missing something?

all the best
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #601617 Sun Jul 12 2020 12:48pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Lady I spoke to at WD knew about it straight away, very knowledgeable & agreed it was a known fault, usual blurb about your responsibility to ensure servicing etc gets done but if that is all in place would definitely be covered in full, my quote was uncapped labour rate & 0 excess, so if I take it & the worst happens all covered, only issue is no courtesy car during repairs, this would be the only addition the JLR extended warranty would have but expensive at £1000 & goodwill to fix crank instead of actually being covered! Must only be a few per year it happens to but very expensive repair, that’s what scares everyone I think.

Post #601621 Sun Jul 12 2020 2:06pm
Goodfella

England 

Tyrefitter wrote:
I insisted they put it in writing that they would cover the crankshaft in case it failed,if not then I won’t buy the car.If your in the market for one mines up for sale as I’m leaving LR products as I’ve had 7 sports & a few full fats in the past.Also LR only offer 12 months warranty now instead of the 2 years they used to offer,I got the 2 years on mine just before they changed it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124231988361

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately your car is approx. £10K more than I am looking to spend.

Post #601633 Sun Jul 12 2020 8:48pm
jc74

United Kingdom 

m13lky wrote:
My AB is 3 years old in November, I will probably keep it for 6 months & do a VT on the pcp as my gfv is a lot higher than trade money even now, never mind then, as I need to keep it in year 4 I have discussed a policy with warranty direct, they have assured me they know about the crank issues & it is covered, for my age & mileage on vehicle it’s only £400 for 12 months with every option included.
I wouldn’t bother about buying an sdv6 from a JLR dealer now as you only get 12 month warranty & a warranty direct policy seems to cover a lot more, plus you are not paying an inflated margin on your car.

I just tried it on mine. Ticked every option, and uncapped labour rate, zero excess. It comes out at £1,083.91 for the year (one off payment). Compared with the £1107 I got quoted for JLR extended warranty including LR Assist. The Warranty Direct one suddenly doesn't look so great.
Does anyone know what I'm missing here in my like for like comparison?

Given my car is parked unused for 6 days of the week nowadays as opposed to a few times a week - I'm half wondering whether it's worth spending the £1k+ at all...

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Post #604239 Mon Sep 07 2020 9:12am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Just tried mine again today, same price, my car will be 3 years old next month & will have done around 19k miles, obviously the older & higher the mileage the higher the price.

Malc

Post #604243 Mon Sep 07 2020 10:27am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

jc74 wrote:
m13lky wrote:
My AB is 3 years old in November, I will probably keep it for 6 months & do a VT on the pcp as my gfv is a lot higher than trade money even now, never mind then, as I need to keep it in year 4 I have discussed a policy with warranty direct, they have assured me they know about the crank issues & it is covered, for my age & mileage on vehicle it’s only £400 for 12 months with every option included.
I wouldn’t bother about buying an sdv6 from a JLR dealer now as you only get 12 month warranty & a warranty direct policy seems to cover a lot more, plus you are not paying an inflated margin on your car.

I just tried it on mine. Ticked every option, and uncapped labour rate, zero excess. It comes out at £1,083.91 for the year (one off payment). Compared with the £1107 I got quoted for JLR extended warranty including LR Assist. The Warranty Direct one suddenly doesn't look so great.
Does anyone know what I'm missing here in my like for like comparison?

Given my car is parked unused for 6 days of the week nowadays as opposed to a few times a week - I'm half wondering whether it's worth spending the £1k+ at all...

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Warranty direct cover the crankshaft, the LR (actually car plan I think) one doesn’t as it’s a known fault, although LR may give goodwill, but that’s a lottery Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #604254 Mon Sep 07 2020 11:11am
fozzy_foster

United Kingdom 

Do the 4.4 SDV8 engines (from a 2016/2017) suffer the crank issues as well or is it just the SDV6s?

Post #604260 Mon Sep 07 2020 11:37am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's a V6 issue, it seems. The V8 diesels don't seem to have the same problem. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #604273 Mon Sep 07 2020 2:25pm
Wizz

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
As Dave says,any brand can have problems so a good warranty is worth the money
I don’t normally bother with extended warranties and I reckon I have saved a heap of money over the years ie I had a disco 3 for 7 years I think I paid out about 2k in repairs vs a warranty would of cost me about 8k. However from what I have been reading about the SDV6 if it’s not had a full LR service history not having a warranty wouldn’t be a good idea, but surly LR should be fixing this modern engines should not be blowing up the expression not fit for purpose springs to mind.

Post #606374 Sat Nov 07 2020 6:05pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I asked my indie about this crank issue just out of curiosity while I was waiting a while ago, he said they have seen very few with this problem and they see more of the 2.7 's with siezed engines?? . Still would think twice before buying one though. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #606376 Sat Nov 07 2020 6:21pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

As it happens, the last 2 engines we've done have been 3.0's, one an L320, the other a 494

The 494 was covered under RAC extended warranty and paid for in full

The 320 was 9 years old, and paid for by the owner

Our next engine to be done is also a 3.0, in a 405. 7 years old, 83k miles, full dealer history. 20% goodwill offered (from a quote of £22k)
The car was recovered straight to us from the dealership Laughing

Post #606380 Sat Nov 07 2020 7:01pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

DiscoMikey - appreciating the £22k quote from a LR dealer...

but from you, as a respected indie ...

What does the crankshaft cost with you? In general I mean.
- is there a new versus second hand engine option?

Ie... for those of us without a warranty... what’s our real exposure?

With thanks in advance. 2022 P440e AB

Post #606410 Sun Nov 08 2020 3:54pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

£9.5k inc VAT

For that, you get a genuine LR recon lump with a 2 year, unlimited mile warranty Thumbs Up

Given that a 2.7 engine has come down to £4095 + VAT, we live in hope that the 3.0 will also be a bit cheaper in the not too distant Laughing

Post #606413 Sun Nov 08 2020 5:30pm
Wizz

United Kingdom 

LR should be suppling them free given the amount of failures I think I will avoid the 3.0 v6 and go for the v8

Post #606414 Sun Nov 08 2020 6:07pm
Wizz

United Kingdom 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
£9.5k inc VAT

For that, you get a genuine LR recon lump with a 2 year, unlimited mile warranty Thumbs Up

Given that a 2.7 engine has come down to £4095 + VAT, we live in hope that the 3.0 will also be a bit cheaper in the not too distant Laughing

Lr should be supplying them free of charge given how faults there are

Post #606417 Sun Nov 08 2020 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>