RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Another crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>

Lindab

United Kingdom 

I would nor even ask about a remap. This will give them an out should anything ever happen to this engine. Also even though you did not remap it but something happened they may have logged your request & can query whether you had it remapped. Whole can of worms there, not worth the pain. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #614674 Fri Jun 11 2021 2:07pm
pjbracer1

England 

Where did you find that about the warranty bill? I agree I like the brand I like the car I just dont think the engine should have gone like it has and not be covered seeing as its not the odd one or two!

Ive had mate with M3's M4' M5''s and Audis and all have had lots of problems and BMW just throw parts at it until the problem goes away but do help with the costs if you complain, Audi were similar but it was typical VW sensor gremlins most of the time the worst was they charged for diagnostics.

Mercedes were not too bad I had a big bill for a gearbox ecu that had oil damage from a failed seal and it was a known fault they wanted 2600 to fix it as it was out of warranty just and they agreed 60 30 in my favour (same for a guy next to me with the same fault!)

I get that there are problems and there will be and most will be wear realted but a whole engine is a bit much on low milers it should be a flat fee of say 5K out of warranty as its a known issue they have and whilst most will moan at 5K for a fix that shouldnt have happened it much more doable and less hassle.

Seems daft they dont sort the bottom end out to save money in the long run but then the bean counters dont think like that as it doesnt affect them or the shareholders!

They are unlikely to do anything now as battery is on its way so will be phasing them out I guess If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #614676 Fri Jun 11 2021 3:02pm
pjbracer1

England 

Lindlab yeah good point it was only if they had to update the ECU for the new engine but I think all they do is reset the error codes, as far as I am aware the ECU learns from the engine and how its driven etc... so they clear that so it starts as if its new.

I was only thinking it migh be worth it seeing as the new car had a little bit more on it but its neglible anyway just thought it might be a little bit of shine on a very dull situation! Although I guess the engine will be like new now so any horses that might of turned into glue as the engine was eating itself will be back!

They are happy to photo the process to so Ie got something for the history books

The reckon it might be done by end of next week too! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614684 Fri Jun 11 2021 4:01pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Please don't get me wrong pjbracer, I love LR products and have owned them since they were owned by British Aerospace, I've had 2 DV6 engined cars, put over 100k miles on both without issue and waiting to hear about whether I'm ever going to get a build slot for a P400. My understanding is that if you buy your car from new, or from an LR dealer with Approved Used Warranty, JLR wouldn't leave you completely high and dry, that probably means you pay 80%, they pay 20% Rolling with laughter

Sadly, until enough people say enough is enough, I'm not prepared to pay out of my own pocket a considerable chunk of money that I'm not going to get back and that won't increase the value of my car, car manufacturers will get away with it. But then the question is what do you replace your LR with, not all SUV's/4x4 are created equal.

If you're on Instagram, have a look at QP Online, there's enough horror stories to give any LR owner paranoia.

Here you go, do a search within your browser for 489m

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/cov...s-20215942

Some other interesting snippets in the article as well.

Post #614687 Fri Jun 11 2021 4:48pm
pjbracer1

England 

Mutley agree some people have engines that can go the distance but my point has always been where the car was bought and who from and how many owners is not really relevant for this particular problem as its deep inside the engine and no one has any control over it really, i get the engine should be serviced using the correct oils and genuine parts in accordance with manufacturer requirements (even if not at a dealer) and if this is the case then really LR should be offering a minimum of 20% assistance.

The fact is the issue is known to them and they really should be responsible for rectifying should the problem occur as opposed to dealing as is, which isnt fair if some get support then all should (if the car has not been looked after then maybe they could wriggle out.

But as you say there is not enough people willing to get together and fight them in group litigation. The UK also doenst have a regualator as such for the motor industy like other countries so they can pretty much do as they please really!

I could have gone for a cheap fix and then possibly suffered the issues later or I might have gotten away with it or could have just sold it on but then the next poor Censored could suffer my plight too!

All cars have problems I know so choosing another could be buying the same troubles just with a different brand
Porsche Macan or Cayenne = nice to drive not too bad to look at too many buttons and switches inside, no TFT dash also if I wanna sports car again ill just get a 911
Merc are quite nice but do all look a bit samey (I like G Wagon but im not a footballer or in OGC, the lecy ones look pretty nice mind
Audi well Q7 is like an oil tanker I quite like the Q8 but bit big and eveyone seems to have Audi's
BMW - nice cars but again loads about and they all seem to look across longinly at mine when out and about!
Volvos I do quite like them as these are well built and got some good tech too just the 90 wont go in my garage its reall long and the 60 is a bit too small
Bentley (well yes I guess if I raided Hatton garden!) same as Rolls, Lambo and the new Aston

Id go for a Defender but the new ones of those have issue and quite a few too so then I end up back at the Sport which I still think is a good car in general save for this stupid engine problem!

Car is almost done now engine is back in so its just getting its calibrations and code clearing and testing doing!

Finger crossed for pick up Sat Morning

All i can say is the last image looks like hard work as that is alot of the bit that come off it!

If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614829 Wed Jun 16 2021 8:17pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

I think the whole issue of accountability for the crank failure on DV6 engines is a big issue for JLR because the origins of the engine, which is why they've moved away from them onto the straight 6 Ingeniums. My understanding is they were originally designed by PSM and then licensed to Ford to build, as well as being fitted in the Citroen, Peugeot and Jag. So when the Ford/JLR partnership ended in 2008, any redress for engine failure probably went the same way. I know that doesn't help us as customers but the other option is JLR payout for engine replacements then go the way of dozens of other british car manufacturers like Jensen, TVR, Triumph etc.

Fingers crossed for you and that you get your car back and can get some trouble free miles under your wheels and you've still got the peace of mind of the 2 year warranty. Thumbs Up

Post #614833 Wed Jun 16 2021 9:26pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

Odd that only JLRs seem to suffer from the craink failure?

A lot of fishing boat owners in Cape Town use than engine, and they last pretty much forever.

A consequence of the heavy weight of the JLRs? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #614853 Thu Jun 17 2021 1:19pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Not every user of these engines have the engine management allow 'regens' at any time, eg. when poodling around town.

That is for me why LR are having the issues.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #614854 Thu Jun 17 2021 1:23pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Can you think of the last time you saw either a Citroen C6 or a Pug 407 coupe? Nope, me neither.

Post #614855 Thu Jun 17 2021 1:27pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

+1 also for what Dave B said.

Post #614856 Thu Jun 17 2021 1:28pm
pjbracer1

England 

@ DaveB I think it must be related in some way as this engine is used quite a bit (the short trips are impossible to tell from history) I do a few but I also do longer trips too I just dont do many trip in general.

If the problem is a problem but is also accelerated due to forced regens then again its an LR issue by design. A small software tweek to notify the driver that a regen is in process do not siwtch off engine or maybe a notification saying a forced regen will started in the next 3 engine starts or maybe initiate now options would be simple and easy! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Last edited by pjbracer1 on Thu Jun 17 2021 5:38pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614860 Thu Jun 17 2021 2:45pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

How can forced regenerations lead to a crankshaft failure?

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #614863 Thu Jun 17 2021 5:29pm
Dave B

Under these conditions, extra fuel is introduced into the combustion chamber, if the engine is switched off during this operation, the excess fuel passes down the bore and in LRs case, drops onto the bearing cleaning it of oil.

This bearing then has no protection next time it is fired up.

Most other cars only regen at motorway type speeds and the procedure is quick and almost certainly over by the time the engine is shut down.

Post #614864 Thu Jun 17 2021 5:36pm
pjbracer1

England 

It would be interesting to kno if all the failures of the past few years had oil tests at each service to see if dillution was a big contributing factor to the down fall!

If this was an issue over time it could lead to bearing failures leading to crankshaft fails, it certainly wouldnt help the issue but would be interesting to know if its what starts the whole chain reaction so to speak and all the cars that have failed have been low milers short journey cars in the early stages of their life where regens were forced more due to driving style! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614865 Thu Jun 17 2021 5:42pm
Dave B

It is not only short journey cars that suffer, for instance my Disco commercial will spend the day working hard pulling 2 - 3 tons or so, usually the majority of the time on the motorway, yet I can be parking it up at the yard, and it decides to regen, there seems no logic to the programming at all.

Post #614869 Thu Jun 17 2021 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>