RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > For sale - debate
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Then Josh it's not directed at you. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226145 Wed May 20 2009 3:26pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

But was it Question

VA...you can't throw rocks at the glass house and not expect any back. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #226150 Wed May 20 2009 3:35pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Josh keep throwing I've replaced the standard windows with bullet proof ones!

If I posted a list of people who have or haven't donated any money I'm sure things would really start off - 'I've donated this much and you have only donated that much!' Do you honestly think a list would be a wise thing to post? If you do I'm afraid you're out of luck because it wont happen. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226153 Wed May 20 2009 3:41pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Is that not what some of our MP's said Whistle

Post #226155 Wed May 20 2009 3:43pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Yes and I forgot to say you lot are going to pay for my new windows! Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226156 Wed May 20 2009 3:45pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Not until you have paid for my bricks Thumbs Up

Post #226157 Wed May 20 2009 3:47pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

I'll put it on my expenses at the end of the month........ Whistle

Tax payers will pay for it this weekend.... Wink TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #226158 Wed May 20 2009 3:52pm
NoDo$h

Tax Payers? Who they? I'm a contractor Laughing Two lives - lived one

This season, oi be mostly toasting my left leg in the 90 while the missus drives the D3

Post #226173 Wed May 20 2009 6:06pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Martin have you thought about putting in place an "over 18 section" Laughing with a subscription to access. it seems the next if not the most common theme on the site after the RRS Mr. Green

ill get my coat Whistle Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #226185 Thu May 21 2009 12:25am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Very Annoyed wrote:
I'm ashamed of many of the site members - they spend hours on here and contribute financially nothing. We know who you are.
Thumbs Up to those who have donated in the past. We know who you are too.

I believe this is the statement that really got on people nerves, I for one I did not like the way it was worded. The way is worded has nothing to do with the people listing items for sale but it seems to attack all members.

Donations are free willing contributions, otherwise they become fee and that's a completely different thing, should you introduce fees, I might have to reconsider if to remain on this good site.

I do not think is the way to address forum users, forums live thanks to members participating with questions, answers end else, is the talks that keep a forum alive.

I agree with members questioning the high costs of the site, with few sponsors and few free willing donations there should be more than enough to cover for the cost of running the site. Different thing if you want to make a living out of it.

On another site, where I'm a moderator, when the owner, a commercial enterprise, decided to pull the plug because the revenue did not justified expense and time anymore, the other 2 moderators and I stepped up and covered the costs, totally transparently to the members and we did not have to sell the house to do that. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #226189 Thu May 21 2009 12:54am
Wozz

At the risk of receiving a ban (and I hope not) I felt compelled to offer my view on all of the above which I have read through.

Firstly - I totally agree with a fee for selling items - ebay do it so why not here. Its sensible and a great way to support the site.

I have been a member of the site for around 5 months and in that time, if I remember correctly, I have made two payments as a donation - one for buying an item and one just for the Censored and giggles on here. In addition I have also provided a referral for a potential site sponsor which I have not been kept informed on progress with but I assume as I have not seen any additional mention of them on here the deal was not closed to a successful fruition.

As with a number of others on here what I am struggling with is the running costs. I have designed, hosted and run many web sites and forums in many other capacities as my former profession was as a new media manager for a well known collection of household name web sites. I know that a significfant amount of bandwidth, hosting space and a free php forum can be obtained at less than the £100 stated but even for a large site triple the costs would suffice. If I can help reduce running costs in anyway I would be happy to help if I can.

A business model that relies upon the ad hoc contributions of the site members to support the site will not work long term. Subscription sites are rarely successful. I know - I set up a trade motor dealer web site with a paid for stock listing service many years ago only to find out that autotrader were offering this free 6 months later and my whole business model fell apart. At the time this was www.autohunter.co.uk but we later rebranded to www.fish4cars.co.uk.

The only real model of choice is to push page impressions through the roof and to then charge advertising fee's accordingly.

Despite the fact I have made contributions in the past the whip cracking to make a "donation" has actually had an adverse affect on my likelihood to make a future contribution. I made my contribution because I enjoy the site and wanted to give something back. But as a former web professional I, like many others on here, struggle to understand why the running costs are so exorbitantly high.

I'm not trying to be "high and mighty" and most definitely I do not look down on anyone else. I just don't grasp the shaming approach to motivate people to contribute.

I may have missed the point and if I have, I apologise. I am disappointed to see such a discussion on an enjoyable community site.

Martin - if you are struggling to maintain the costs of this site you must do what is in your best interests. Both my donations and my personal thanks for a great web site are testament enough to the fantastic job you have done in providing a wonderful focal point for us RRS owners. I hope the site does not have to be closed down but if so, thank you for all the fun and helpful advice. I hope, as a regular contributor of, at the very least, a wry sense of humour, I have done my bit to make the forum a fun place to be.

Of course - I will never add the value of SP Razz WINNER - 2009 Best Newcomer Award
'09 TDV6 XS Stornaway Grey

'06 BMW 730 D SE (Gone)
'08 A4 TDi SLine Avant (Gone)
Large pack of Flake Cakes (Gone)
6 pack of Guiness (Gone)

Post #226211 Thu May 21 2009 9:50am
NickM

United Kingdom 

R. I . P Sexy Pauly Big Cry

Post #226216 Thu May 21 2009 10:44am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Wozz wrote:
one for buying an item and one just for the Censored and giggles on here.

What a great line Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #226217 Thu May 21 2009 10:47am
extremecapture

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

As a new member to the forum, i find this site not only very informative and helpful, but also a bloody good laugh, and as for that i donated a(albeit) small donation a few weeks ago. Whilst i continue to enjoy the site, i will make further donations through out the year Very Happy

After reading through the thread, i would welcome a Platinum members section, a optional membership, where those said members ,have acess to a few new areas. Perhaps a membership card and a window sticker, thrown in the pot with it to.

This site has my full support, and it would be a great shame if it was no longer, so keep up the great work guys!

Regards

Paul .....................................................................
09 RRS TDV8 HSE 20"STORMERS and Colour Coded everything!!!!

Life is for living, not sitting back and waiting for rainey days!

Post #226218 Thu May 21 2009 10:50am
SachaR

Italy 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Having read the 6 pages, I have to say I was a bit shocked at some posts, I think Wozz sums up very much how I feel and I too agree that charging for advertising/sale is OK, but charging a subription would most definitely turn me and many other away from this great site.

If many left I would think that the main core of people answering questions would be reduced and also the risk of an "elitist group" would be all that would be left (I am not saying there is an elitist group now).

I dont believ forcing people to give donations or trying to make people feel guilty is the correct route, maybe a nice thread should have been started..

Martin, thank you for this site. RRS TDV8 HSE 2007- JAVA Black/Black interior,
UK BMW M3 CSL SB- now sold
1968 Innocenti mini

Post #226219 Thu May 21 2009 11:00am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>