RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Not so bullet proof TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 22 <123 456 ... 202122>

simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Still no ETA but am assured by Executive office that I have now moved from my original Number 8 in the que to being the next customer to be supplied with an engine. So if there were 8 cars requiring an engine exchange in JanuRy, how many are they changing a year? By my maths that's 32 engines a year, multiply by years in production, 4 years, plus the three after production and you get more than a few failures. It is my belief that they manufacture 10% over production run so they have shifted one hell of a lot of engines not to have new ones on the shelf three years after stopping using the engine Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #376785 Wed Mar 13 2013 7:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simple1

Latest in this sorry saga is that LR advise that an engine may be available by mid to the end of April. They still cannot give an ETA or shipping date. As a side bar, there was several on eBay advertised as brand new in a crate but the ads disappeared an hour after I questioned LR why these had stock and LR couldn't find any. A dealer trawl showed no dealers have any new engines on the shelf.
Back to the squashedfly for weekend fun then Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377801 Fri Mar 22 2013 11:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Welderman

2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Reading through your post makes me cringe. I had a similar problem with my Mitsubishi Animal, i too needed a new engine, it was under warrenty but there were no new engines in the UK, 26 WEEKS later i got the vehicle back, mind you i did have a courtesy car in all this time, started off with a new discovery (4weeks) Very Happy , then it went to an Astra(10 weeks) Smile , then a Colt Shocked

Hope you get sorted Newbie near Chorley.
TDV8

Post #377805 Fri Mar 22 2013 11:37am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Welderman - I waited 3 months for heating control parts on a new Landcruiser back in the late 90's after turning down a D1 due to reliability concerns Rolling Eyes

Bought JLR since but reading Simple1 and others problems at the moment 3 years looks the maximum age to own a Lr or start looking at other brands Big Cry

It seems to me progress isn't all its made out to be Thud Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #377814 Fri Mar 22 2013 12:55pm
simple1

Don't think progress is the problem, I think it's progress too fast that isn't tried or tested until the item goes on sale that is the problem. Getting your clients to do your durability tests isn't on.
A car is after all, a mechanical thing and they do go wrong. Where this becomes an issue is when the manufacturer seriously under estimates the issue and can't provide parts or back up service.
Having said that, this is really beginning to pee me off especially when there doesn't seem to be any sort of urgency on behalf of LR. If someone had told me when I was writing a cheque for 60 grand that the car would have had all these problems, and blow up at 49000 miles it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to work out if the cheque wouldnt have been signed. Nought else can be done bar sitting patiently until one is found. Yawn 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377826 Fri Mar 22 2013 1:30pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

My comment re progress is more about how things have changed supposedly for the better - we send emails instantly instead of waiting days for a letter and cars are supposed to be better built, etc.,,,, but 25 years ago a blown engine was sorted for £100 with a visit to the scrapyard - now you wait months and pay £1000's - seems a backward step to me Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #377827 Fri Mar 22 2013 1:59pm
simple1

I concur your honor. Mind you 27 years ago I bought my first house for less than half the price of a sport Laughing
You'll have to forgive me, just a bit more fed up today than usual, with all the BS being served up Big Cry 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377828 Fri Mar 22 2013 2:10pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

No need to apologise - I feel for you too Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #377830 Fri Mar 22 2013 2:26pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

muddywheels wrote:
but 25 years ago a blown engine was sorted for £100 with a visit to the scrapyard - now you wait months and pay £1000's - seems a backward step to me Embarassed

There is progress though - 25 years ago a blown engine was becoming unusual but certainly was not rare. These days blown engines are so rare that we are amazed that they occur. The problem for the consumer is that it appears that the manufacturer is also surprised that engines still blow up and so isn't set up to deal with in a speedy manner.

In real terms, cars (other than LR products) are hugely more reliable than they were 20 or 30 years ago. If you think about the complexities of modern cars and the long service intervals etc. it's amazing that they don't fail more often. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #377836 Fri Mar 22 2013 4:44pm
simple1

I still have the car I was driving 25 years ago. It's got 109000 miles on the clock and had one engine rebuild ( because I thought it wise to before driving it 3000 miles to Germany and back) and fitted a new turbo due to it leaving a smoke trail behind it at full throttle.
Various other odds and sods been done to it but still on original clutch. It was one of the first cars to have computer controlled ignition and still goes well for 205 bhp. Now I can understand various parts being no longer available for it so stock pile bits for it when I come across them.
What is it, an Audi of course. Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377841 Fri Mar 22 2013 5:19pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Vorsprung durch Technik Bow down

Might have to look at Audi next - a friend has had a few and always swears by them Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #377847 Fri Mar 22 2013 5:25pm
simple1

Don't like the new ones so much, I have the UR quattro (original wide body turbo) an RS4 old shape but never gelled with new shape RS4 V8 I owned. I did look at new shape Allroads and even a Q7 when my old work Allroad needed changing but they no longer have any soul. Great cars for getting to B from A but that's it. Whistle
Old cars have character and yes do break down Laughing but you expect that.
Mate is senior tech at local Audi dealer and he says they have very few problem cars, the worst offender being the R8 V10. All electrical issues I believe. Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377849 Fri Mar 22 2013 5:44pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Pics of the UR Quattro would be nice to see Thumbs Up

Post #377864 Fri Mar 22 2013 8:07pm
simple1

Being a technophobe I can't ever post pics Ady. You know that. PM me a email address and you can post them up Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #377867 Fri Mar 22 2013 8:28pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Pm sent, but if you look on the blue bar at the bottom of my posts, you have an email option there. Thumbs Up

Post #377868 Fri Mar 22 2013 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 22 <123 456 ... 202122>