RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Not so bullet proof TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 22 <123 ... 202122>

Meccles

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

My car just had turbo replaced and now other failures. Makes one wonder what else might now happen if they repair was not well done. Confused SWMBO owns this car I get to drive occasionally Smile

Post #371757 Thu Jan 31 2013 4:31pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Update so far, car needs a pair of turbos and an engine. Total estimated cost £11900 plus what ever other bits can't be removed. Apparently torque converter removal requires engine to be able to turn to access bolts.
Failure seems to be turbo seal that has gone filling exhaust with oil and starving engine of oil. Won't know full story until engine is removed but it appears engine is back order with no ETA. Twisted Evil 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #374416 Fri Feb 22 2013 11:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

simple1 wrote:
Update so far, car needs a pair of turbos and an engine. Total estimated cost £11900 plus what ever other bits can't be removed. Apparently torque converter removal requires engine to be able to turn to access bolts.
Failure seems to be turbo seal that has gone filling exhaust with oil and starving engine of oil. Won't know full story until engine is removed but it appears engine is back order with no ETA. Twisted Evil

Censored

Are LR paying for any of the costs? 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #374417 Fri Feb 22 2013 11:37pm
bootz

United Kingdom 

S1
deepest sympathies for your V8 problems Crying or Very sad - please keep the updates coming. My TDV8's have all been faultless (so far... Shocked ) - but all under 30K. So maybe i've been lucky.

Do you know if the turbo seal failure was catastrophic or might it have been indicated in advance in some way (e.g by a low oil level on the dipstick beforehand perhaps?) Sorry i'm NOT a mechanic if this sounds a stupid question!! Whistle

Best rgds
m

Post #374425 Sat Feb 23 2013 4:48am
simple1

Bootz
There was no warming. Car has never used oil between services and was checked before I drove from home to Heathrow. Bang on the line and only 3000 miles after major service. The car sat at Airport for nearly three weeks and started fine on return, didn't smoke at any point. So no outward sign of failure. In all other failures, the DIS and management lights came on, this time the DIS screen showed book and engine management fault but within 200 metres the car stopped dead. No oil warnings, pressure or low oil level. Only warning was slight Pop as turbo let go, a noise similar to a pipe blowing off. I had one turbo replaced at 8500 miles and the other at 25000 miles and its the more recent replacement that has failed, and has covered less than 25000 miles since.
The list of failures on the car runs into hundreds on warrentee system but a catastrauphic failure of this nature really wasn't expected. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374439 Sat Feb 23 2013 9:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Sorry to read this simple Sad

You have convinced me that mine is going before warranty expires now - I considered keeping it for winter and towing van in the future and getting a jag xk but with bills and reliability like this Censored that Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #374448 Sat Feb 23 2013 11:02am
mjbrr

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Mines going before the warranty runs out in September too !

It's back in the garage again on Tuesday - red suspension light again, front end knocking again, reverse parking sensors again, rocking seat again !!!!

Nice cars but far too much trouble than they are worth in my opinion.

Never had as much trouble with all the rest of my cars put together as I have with this Sport.

It's a shame because I love the car but the reliability is the biggest problem.

Luxury, can go anywhere brand Rolling with laughter Yeah, if it feels like working that day Rolling with laughter 2009 3.6 TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Post #374463 Sat Feb 23 2013 2:50pm
scoobyIrl

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Alaska White

I had the same experience with LR earlier this year, who also suggested that the engine be replaced without fully investigating the issue.

I went to a friend who has some experience with these engines, engine turned out to be fine, same symptoms as your engine, but upon removing injectors & investigating, no damage could be found. Engine turned freely once the oil could escape from cylinders. Both turbos were replaced with the engine & body in place, but its a pig to work on.
It worked out at about £1,700 for the two turbo's...

Post #374465 Sat Feb 23 2013 2:58pm
simple1

Been there and done that. Four seat frames before I got one that didn't rock or creek. I was actually accused by one nice customer relations operator of being over weight and that was causing Seat problem. At 6ft 1 and 90 kgs I don't think so. Add in the suspension, gearbox, trim, electrical and four diffs and you get the level of my dissatisfaction. Then to have terminal engine failure attributed to replaced turbos and you get some idea how Censored off I am. The car has been serviced with land rover dealers, fixed by them and each time comes back with another gripe or fault or as last time, a dig out of front bumper while sat in compound awaiting being fixed.
But as you say, there is nothing out there that tows as well, covers ground as well or as nice a place to be as a Sport when it actually works properly hence why I still have it. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374466 Sat Feb 23 2013 3:00pm
simple1

Scooby
That's what was originally thought to have happened but as the engine will not turn backwards it was " assumed " that engine has been starved of oil. I will ask again for dealer to do this before I pay for a new engine I don't need. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374472 Sat Feb 23 2013 4:15pm
lee551247

United Kingdom 

Crikey Simple1 how do you put up with that? You must have the patience of a saint Surprised

Post #374567 Sun Feb 24 2013 2:26pm
simple1

Lee
You have no idea how fed up I am but due to my own stupidity, I was promised the earth by suppiying dealer and area manager of Land Rover and also customer services years ago but never got anything in writing. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374595 Sun Feb 24 2013 8:16pm
simple1

simple1 wrote:
Scooby
That's what was originally thought to have happened but as the engine will not turn backwards it was " assumed " that engine has been starved of oil. I will ask again for dealer to do this before I pay for a new engine I don't need.

The oil has been drained and there are fragments and traces of various metals in it so something has failed. Want aware of this until talking to dealer so looks like no cheaper alternative than replacement. Big Cry 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374636 Mon Feb 25 2013 11:31am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Arn't L/R willing to contribute towards the new engine? Who supplied & fitted your new turbo's?

Post #374638 Mon Feb 25 2013 11:40am
simple1

You have a PM Ady 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #374645 Mon Feb 25 2013 12:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 22 <123 ... 202122>