RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Another crank failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>

m13lky

United Kingdom 

Pj if I was you I’d either go with the LR dealer & keep the car or go with a cheap option & trade it in/sell to WBAC.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Malc

Post #614606 Wed Jun 09 2021 8:48pm
pjbracer1

England 

Cheers
Yeah they are my 2 and seeing as the car is like new everywhere else and has all the toys I’m veering to the LR deal at least it’s 2 yrs of cover so like a new car except the fancy new glass cockpit! And fancy new headlights!

Did contact a few peops about conversion to ev but it’s still silly money bout 40-60k! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #614612 Wed Jun 09 2021 10:38pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Something you mentioned earlier, section 75, I know you don’t want to go after the independent dealer who sold it to you but did you pay even a deposit to him on a credit card when you bought it? If so section 75 should kick in & they would have a responsibility to assist you financially?

Just thought I’d mention it? I always pay £500 even on a new car by cc for this very reason just in case.

Malc

Post #614616 Thu Jun 10 2021 7:22am
pjbracer1

England 

yeah that was my thought for this engine, the dealer I bought from isnt trading anymore, he was a landy trader that got stung with a lot of trade in stock from Sept 2019 new number plate release and Christmas through to feb is always a bit slow on car sales, and then Covid hit, and he said he wont survive other wise id go down that route, that said its not his fualt either that the engine blew it LR.

I think alot of places are reluctant now to take anyform of car payment for large purchases for that reason too. Guy Salmon didnt want me to pay on a credit card where I suspect maybe they dont like the large fee the get from the transaction they want a bank TF

So Im gonna go for their 0% on 5K and £500 on card for section 75 and then transfer the rest I think.

The ombudsmand also say that out of warranty is through the last seller so LR pointing me to them when they know full well they will do notihing as the car is outside of the manufacturer warrnty is pointless too

The ombudsman in all fairness is powerless agains the motor trade they really only serve to mediate in small disputes

what is shocking with this that there is no real regulator in the country to keep manufacturers in check for this type of crime really the only people who help out is the DVSA and that is only on safety grounds! Trading Standards might help but again not really aimed at the big boys!

We need more Group litigation orders like class action suits in the US, not just for LR but Im sure there are many car defect from other brands that are not wear or use realted that customers have to pay for when its the manufacturers responsibility really. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614617 Thu Jun 10 2021 7:37am
Mike London

Got my car back last week from Indy dealer with ‘new’ engine fitted. Comes with LR 2 year warranty
Indy charged £10k whilst main dealer quoted £15k with a week delay to just look at the car.
LR have agreed to pay 20% of the parts which is £1700 2014 RRS AB Santorini Black

Post #614619 Thu Jun 10 2021 9:19am
pjbracer1

England 

Thats good then did you have warranty on the car? just wondered how you got LR to pay 20% when I'm in the same boat and they offer nothing!

I think im gonna go with the LR quote as much as it pains me they can do it for next week and if there is any issue they cover the lot labour too so for a little bit extra there is the whole courtesy car available too as it will be treated by LR as if its a new engine.

Also I then have to get it from them and Im not overly clear if there wont be a charge for the inspection if I choose to go with an indy either the quote looks like there is and inspection fee that has been waived!

I want to continue with getting something out of LR so Mike Pm me if you have any more details as your case if very similar to mine and the age of your car what was the mileage too

Was gonna as the LR garage if they can photo log the process just for the history on the car if I can If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614620 Thu Jun 10 2021 9:29am
Mike London

No warranty, PM sent 2014 RRS AB Santorini Black

Post #614626 Thu Jun 10 2021 12:10pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Have a look at this thread, I understand the circumstances are very different, but given the LR dealer fitted a new engine for that to then subsequently fail, if I was in your shoes, I'd go with the Dealer fitted option, you'll at least have to redress with the dealer if it does fail.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56983.html

Post #614631 Thu Jun 10 2021 1:16pm
pjbracer1

England 

Ive gone for it after speaking back with my local indy who is a stright up guy and after speaking with some of the others, the price LR came in at £13599 inc vat and includes turbos and all new gaskets, fuel injector spill rails and hoses etc... with 2 yrs parts and labour

My Guy said to be honest it was worth the little bit extra even though he is losing out possible work as the warranty includes the labour,
Also service regimes remain the same rather than nearly all of the others I spoke to said a recon engines needs a bit more love but that is a recon vs refurb vs reman all essentially the same end result but some only replace the broken parts and make good with the rest others do a full proper strip down but might not use LR gen parts (so potential for leaks further down the line is higher) He said the peace of mind that LR will have to sort it worth the extra few thousand unless i was gonna get shot of it.

As the car is low miles anyway and fully spec'd up I might as well keep it for a few more years as apart from this situation I do like the car.

From a non mech perpsective since this engine is the same Im guessing it will just plug straight in as far as the ECU is concerned or will it need a new ecu or possible ecu re-program as one would guess there might be some wear learnt by the ecu over time? Or Im sure the ECU must of known that engine blew (or maybe that is just clear codes with SDD)

Just wondering cos if they do have to do stuff to the ECU then maybe it would be worth asking to put the later map on for a little more power if that was possible?

Ive ask the guys if they can take some pictures of the process of engine out and engine in for the history of the car and asked for an oil sample (whether i get the oil out of my engine or just some stuff they have around is another question)

https://streamable.com/ogq8ew sound is a little bit out for some reason but mainly the service guys voice.

This is the sound if anyone is interested! Little video, surprised they got it going again as it wouldnt start on the back of the tow truck

For anyone that does here a slight ticking sound louder than what would be deemed normal then it could be the start of this.

This is my first diesel so not used to how they sound they all sound a little bit ticky to me compared to a v8 petrol but not like this.

I dont want to panic anyone mind and it all happened pretty quick tick to knock to silence within maybe 2 miles! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614650 Thu Jun 10 2021 8:47pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
Just wondering cos if they do have to do stuff to the ECU then maybe it would be worth asking to put the later map on for a little more power if that was possible?

Producing more power puts more strain on the internals of the engine. Unless the engine you're getting was intended to be a higher power unit, I can't see them agreeing to it. Indeed, I can't see them agreeing to it even then, to be honest. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614654 Fri Jun 11 2021 7:20am
pjbracer1

England 

yeah was just a thought seeing as the eninge they think will be out of the newer model that said i just hop what ever fix is applied to stop it happeneing again but from what i understand it is still happening so probably not! If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614655 Fri Jun 11 2021 7:26am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It appears that there is no "fix". The crank has been an issue for the entire life of the 3.0 V6 diesel. It's pure luck of the draw whether you get one that is liable to failing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614657 Fri Jun 11 2021 8:06am
pjbracer1

England 

Although when I spoke with Ivor Searle they say they have a fix cant remember what he said they do but I think one was use different bearings that have a smaller centre so they shave the crank shaft down a little, or they said they might pin locate the bearings or something like that depending on the amoutn fo wear in the customer unit (that was onyl on the customer return units as they dont keep that engine on the shelf so to speak)

Its a bit alarming really that any of them are potential time bombs if there is no mods, unless there is for the foreign markets and it just us in the UK as there is no rules on creating building lemons just as long as they are safe lemons. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614664 Fri Jun 11 2021 10:10am
Spleen

United Kingdom 

I'd have thought that an engine wouldn't run with a broken crankshaft? Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #614669 Fri Jun 11 2021 11:57am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

All of the DV6 Lion engines are the same regardless of market, the only difference is the ones that Ford US use in the Raptor have a stronger bottom end. Its one of those things you either accept or go to another brand. From the press reports, its also why JLR have a half a billion pound warranty claim bill for the first two quarters of 2019 alone.

Post #614670 Fri Jun 11 2021 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>