RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 2 Stroke oil in Diesel engines? Has anybody read this?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

BKHK

Australia 

Hi 2nd

Sorry for the late reply, I have just returned from NYC and have been offline while travelling for the past 30 hours.

Have you read the full thread on the D3 forum?

BKHK

Last edited by BKHK on Wed Jul 22 2009 8:33am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #193024 Sat Oct 25 2008 6:24am
bex

Have tried it in my Volkswagen Caddy Van for the last week....smoke is less....but mpg no different.....it definately does something but not sure what Rolling Eyes

Post #193025 Sat Oct 25 2008 7:19am
blackwood

United Kingdom 

Hi Guys,
Am about to buy a RRS, but currently running a re-mapped TD5 Disco, so thought I'd give the 2-stroke a try before I risk it in a £30k motor... I simply cannot believe the difference.. I put 60 litres of diesel into an empty tank, then added 300ml of 2-stroke (£1.99 / 600ml Wilkinsons) The car is quiter, smoother pick up, and even seems more economical, possibly 2-3 mpg better.. I am shocked and stunned, I cannot believe that something so cheap and simple could make such a difference. I will have no hesitation whatsoever in putting it my Sport when it arrives..
Regards All, Blackwood Thumbs Up

Post #196385 Sat Nov 15 2008 10:45pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

you should add the 2 stroke before the fuel as this helps mix it into the fuel Thumbs Up

Post #196388 Sat Nov 15 2008 11:46pm
blackwood

United Kingdom 

Hi, Yes, you're right, I actually did that,though wrote it slightly differently.. I realised after I'd clicked "submit" D'oh!! Big Cry

Post #196390 Sat Nov 15 2008 11:56pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

I was at Penrite Oils last night to look at some of their historical car collection, and to listen to a man in the know talk about their products - oil etc!

I brought up the question about adding two stroke to diesel, and he commented that whereby it would help improve the burn of the 'lower quality diesel' Australia gets, it certainly wouldn't help with engine longevity... And therefore he recommended against it.

Interestijng conjecture to others previous thoughts on this Question Exclamation Confused

Post #231495 Wed Jul 22 2009 7:57am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In the UK I wonder what HMR&C would think about doing this. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #231498 Wed Jul 22 2009 8:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

As a fuel additive - on which full tax would have been paid at the point of purchase - I don't think they'd care what you put in your diesel?!

Post #231499 Wed Jul 22 2009 8:19am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

2nd Rower wrote:
I was at Penrite Oils last night to look at some of their historical car collection, and to listen to a man in the know talk about their products - oil etc!

I brought up the question about adding two stroke to diesel, and he commented that whereby it would help improve the burn of the 'lower quality diesel' Australia gets, it certainly wouldn't help with engine longevity... And therefore he recommended against it.

Interestijng conjecture to others previous thoughts on this Question Exclamation Confused

Well what will that be, 250000Km instead of 300000? At about 15000 Km/year will have to replace it before 2025 then..... Wink '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #231524 Wed Jul 22 2009 12:14pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I have been using 2-stroke semi-synth oil since getting the RRS, and I believe it makes a difference. When/if I forget to add oil in the mix when I tank up, I immediately can hear and feel it. Especially in the colder months it was obvious and even now in the summer-time, I really can notice a difference.

I am not sure about longevity, but surely a constant lubrication of the engines insides cannot be bad...

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #231527 Wed Jul 22 2009 12:21pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Im probably barking up the wrong tree here............ BUT YF states that it helps your turbo by keeping it lubricated. Now stop me if I AM heading for the wrong tree here but how would it do this if youre adding the oil to the fuel? The fuel shouldnt be going through the turbo as its bearings are fed from the sump. All the turbo does is compress the air heading into the engine, NOT the fuel! There shouldnt be ANY diesel in the turbo at all. Im sure if Ive spotted something wrong here someone will put me right? Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #231566 Wed Jul 22 2009 4:51pm
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I must admit I would try adding two stroke to an older engine but would be to worried of any possible damage it would cause to the RRS.

A question for the people adding the two stroke to their RRS. What fuel are you using. Is it whatever is cheapest or are you using the more expensive ultimate diesel?

Steve

Post #231576 Wed Jul 22 2009 5:48pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

SteveWilliams wrote:
I must admit I would try adding two stroke to an older engine but would be to worried of any possible damage it would cause to the RRS.

A question for the people adding the two stroke to their RRS. What fuel are you using. Is it whatever is cheapest or are you using the more expensive ultimate diesel?

Steve

Good point. I think ultimate diesel has enough additives in it to keep your engine clean. That's what I use.

Personally I think it's too risky.....but each to their own Whistle TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #231654 Thu Jul 23 2009 2:52pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

High quality semi-synth 2-stroke oil does the trick. And, it could never hurt your engine. Actually I know of someone who used this in a pinch, when there was no diesel around, and only petrol. He added 2-stroke oil in with the petrol, and used that mix in his diesel engine. It worked fine.

Also, for years we used oil into the diesel in our 4/5/6 cyl. 4-stroke Volvo Penta boat motors. One of them ended up with some 3'500 hours of powering our 35ft. boat, before needing an overhaul (a lot for a boat engine). Also, this has been discussed so much, especially over on the D3 site, by people much smarter than I, and I believe them.

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #231663 Thu Jul 23 2009 4:38pm
blackwood

United Kingdom 

Hi All, Well I'd just like to add that I'm currently running a 2007 3.0TDi Audi A4, and add the two stroke to every tankful, the car goes great on it and is noticably quieter. I only use Shell diesel, and several mates also put it in their fairly new cars, and have reported exta quitness, better economy and a smoother drive.. If it's that bad why do the Mercedes factory use it when testing their new motors? Can only speak from my own experience... Guess it's only like using that lovely "gold top" diesel that you get in France...
Regards, Blackwood Thumbs Up

Post #231848 Sat Jul 25 2009 5:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>