RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Noisy Tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>

Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
Noisy Tailgate

Before I book-in my RRS for its' weekly warranty repair, can anybody please tell me if the tailgate is supposed to rattle and squeek on road bumps and speedhumps? Is it in need of a simple adjustment, or is this just another of the many "live-with-it" characteristics? I know Ford own Range Rover but is it really meant to sound like a Transit van??? Rolling Eyes

Post #77414 Tue Jan 23 2007 10:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

This has been mentioned on here before, i think L/R can sort it some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #77423 Tue Jan 23 2007 10:54pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Yeah RRUK had this problem! RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #77431 Tue Jan 23 2007 11:47pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Could be this one, TSB # LS501-013

Quote:
Tailgate Support Mounting
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A900129 onwards
CONDITION SUMMARY:
TAILGATE SUPPORT RATTLE
A customer may report a rattle from the upper tailgate area.
Cause: Torque relaxation of the upper support ball fitting, which could develop into damage to the mounting, may be the cause.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin.

Post #77442 Wed Jan 24 2007 1:00am
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black
LR Update - Jan 07 - Tailgate Rattle Issues

My RRS TDV6 HSE went back to the stealer (Stratstone High Wycombe) in November for a 15 point fix list including some software mods.

On this list was the tailgate rattle problem. I have to go over 17 speed humps to get the kids to school and 17 back to go to work. Every humps results in nasty noisy tailgate rattles.

When called to come and collect the car after 4 days they (the Service Manager) advised me that they had applied the LR approved fix (probably bubble gum on the lock or some other equally non-technical solution) but in this case it had not worked. Tech support was requested and LR advised that they oredr a new complete tailgate section (which was of course on back-order).

Stratstone didn't call me for 6 weeks, so I called them this week. Their reply was...

"Ah Mr. ??? I'm glad you called. The parts we have been waiting for arrived two days ago but just as we were about to call you, LR advised us that the approved solution (fit new tailgate) has now been changed to " fit a strip of black plastic on the tailgate section to eliminate the rattles".

We have ordered the strip of black plastic and when it arrives we will call you to fit it"!

I just can't wait!! It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #78278 Sat Jan 27 2007 11:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brian Mason

Thanks fellas. I managed to locate RRUK's previous post and followed the "open upper glass section and lean on lower tailgate" advice. Sure enough, there's a lot squeaking and plastic rubbing going on. However, when it happens on the road at speehumps, for instance, it's accompanied by a distinct knock or thud plus a metallic rattle. Looks like a number of things are contributing? Car back in garage Monday (as it is most weeks).., watch this space!!! Confused

Post #78303 Sat Jan 27 2007 3:19pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Brian, as Peter mentioned above, the service fix for a tailgate rattle as you have described is the plastic sheath on the latch bar. This is to reduce or eliminate any freeplay in the latch mechanism.

I am surprised to hear that LR Tech Assist advised Peter's service department to order a complete tailgate assembly to fix his rattle. As the tailgate latch assembly is a bolt on part which can be changed without disturbing the actual tailgate.

Someone is trying to make a few £'s out a simple service fix. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #78359 Sat Jan 27 2007 10:23pm
Brian Mason

Thanks TB. I'll update after it's back from the Main Stealer next week. Be interesting to hear their diagnosis and, more importantly, if it actually fixes the annoying problem. Crying or Very sad

Post #78398 Sun Jan 28 2007 6:04am
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black

Hi TB, we haven't chatted for a while! You ok?

My dealer is telling me all sorts at the moment, I just don't know what or who to believe any more!

They told me that had carried out all LR recommended fixes on the tailgate but that none had cured the problem. They ordered the "tailgate assembly" in November but told me it would be some time as the parts were on back order.

Only this week they have advised me of the black plastic bit as a new LR fix but it sounds like you have known about it for some time; is that true? It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #78534 Sun Jan 28 2007 9:04pm
TB

Peter, the black plastic fix has been around since well before Christmas. I had the rattle on my tailgate, so was in the perfect place to get it fixed. Wink

Who is your dealer? It would be interesting to hear if any other members have any horror stories about warranty repairs from these people.

If they tell you anything else that you think sounds a bit dodgy, ask the question on here, we will always do our best to offer alternative advice. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #78546 Sun Jan 28 2007 10:38pm
Brian Mason

You're dead right TB. Just collected the car after 4 days and they've obtained and fitted a recently released tailgate rattle repair kit. However, the bad news is the noise still appears present. Sad

Post #79389 Thu Feb 01 2007 12:48pm
TB

Well, it's not the tailgate latch that's rattling then. Very Happy

What else have they tried?

Have they adjusted the buffers in the outer corners of the upper tailgate? If your dealer has wound these in too far it could create rather than eliminate a rattle. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #79609 Thu Feb 01 2007 9:26pm
Brian Mason

Cheers TB. I've got to go back tomorrow as I discovered they've f Censored ked an alloy, so I'll break the bad news and mention your suggestion. Evil or Very Mad

Post #79613 Thu Feb 01 2007 9:33pm
Brian Mason

Right. When I first had the tailgate noise, it was a combination of a metallic rattle, plastic squeak and a thud on speedhumps. The repair kit seems to have cured the metallic rattle. Today the dealer adjusted the 4 rubber buffers and that appears to have stopped the thump.

However, that left the plastic squeak. I noted MDP said the noise could be heard if you lean on the top of the lower tailgate section with the glass open (make sense?). So, I did it and, yes, there's the plastic squeak. Worked out it must be movement between the upper and lower plastic mouldings around the lock & clasp. Despite small rubber pads, it clearly wasn't absorbing properly so I stuck on two fluffy (not the hooks) velcro pads either side of the lock cover moulding at the bottom of the tailgate. BINGO! It seems to stopped further movement and vibration, and given me renewed confidence to drive over speedhumps without ear defenders or valium.

Land Rover, my bill for labour and consultancy fees are on their way!!! Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by Brian Mason on Fri Feb 02 2007 4:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #79920 Fri Feb 02 2007 4:08pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Brian - a photo please! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #79924 Fri Feb 02 2007 4:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>