Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Noisy Tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>

Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

JayMann wrote:
Cool good stuff Thumbs Up

Jay, do you think we could market our "vibration elimination and tailgate ehancement kit" to Land Rover??? Thumbs Up

Bout time we got one-up on those indifferent lazy bas Censored tards??? Ner Ner

Post #82988 Tue Feb 13 2007 9:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Don't know mate it's a bit technical Wink RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #83002 Tue Feb 13 2007 10:07pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Brian Mason wrote:
However, if it's an irritating noisy plasticy creak, then the Velcro fluffy pads should cure it. Good luck mate. Thumbs Up

Totally brilliant Thumbs Up Just did mine and then drove over about 6 speed humps in a row.....not a creak to be heard....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Very Happy RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #87829 Tue Feb 27 2007 11:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

For completeness, also see this brand new TSB (# LTB00006 in North America) for another possible source of liftgate window creaks and rattles (note the VIN range, this is for a relatively small number of newer build 06s only):

Quote:
Liftgate Noise
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A956500 to 6A975601
CONDITION SUMMARY:
LIFTGATE NOISE
Situation: A customer may report a concern of a rattle or creak noise coming from the rear liftgate window glass area. Some liftgate glass striker loops may not have been plastic coated, which could lead to the noise concern.
Action: Should a customer report this noise concern, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to verify source of noise and rectify the concern.
MODIFY REAR LIFTGATE GLASS LATCH STRIKER LOOP
1. Visually inspect the rear liftgate window glass latch striker loop to verify there is a black plastic coating applied, as illustrated by the shaded area depicted in Figure 1.
2. If the striker loop has a black plastic coating, the loop may not be the root cause of the noise and further diagnosis is required.
3. If the striker loop does not have a black plastic coating, carry out the repair procedures that follow to apply the service kit.
PARTS:
NOTE: The liftgate glass striker loop repair kit (FQQ500080) contains sufficient parts to
repair three vehicles.
FQQ500080 .............Liftgate glass latch striker repair kit Qty 1

The repair is very simple, basically some striker loops on the liftgate glass were not coated with a plastic sleeve and may rattle as a result. The TSB instructs the technician to glue a small plastic sleeve on the tip of the metal striker loop... Looks like an easy DIY, should anyone have this problem. PM me if you wish to get copy of the the TSB with related repair illustrations. 

Post #87948 Tue Feb 27 2007 4:10pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black
Kids return to school in time for speed bump tests!

All tests are now complete; it's offical, the velcro does excatly what it says on the tin!

No more tailgate bumps or rattles!

I'm delighted! Bow down Bow down Bow down

Stratstone still haven't called me to arrange to fit the LR kit that should do the same thing.
Maybe they are reading about my progress on this forum and thought they didn't need to bother! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I have just booked my first service with them too! They are letting me have the new Freelander II as a courtesy car for the day so that was really good of them.

My other half really likes it and we may just buy one. It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #88009 Tue Feb 27 2007 7:58pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

When it goes in for its first service get them to do the tailgate then, i used the velcro strip and it worked, then it developed another rattle, while it was having its suspension knock sorted they also did someting to the tailgate, what ever they did it cured the rattle Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #88013 Tue Feb 27 2007 8:09pm
Brian Mason

umbertob wrote:
For completeness, also see this brand new TSB (# LTB00006 in North America) for another possible source of liftgate window creaks and rattles (note the VIN range, this is for a relatively small number of newer build 06s only):

Quote:
Liftgate Noise
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) VIN: 6A956500 to 6A975601
CONDITION SUMMARY:
LIFTGATE NOISE
Situation: A customer may report a concern of a rattle or creak noise coming from the rear liftgate window glass area. Some liftgate glass striker loops may not have been plastic coated, which could lead to the noise concern.
Action: Should a customer report this noise concern, refer to the Repair Procedure detailed in this bulletin to verify source of noise and rectify the concern.
MODIFY REAR LIFTGATE GLASS LATCH STRIKER LOOP

1. Visually inspect the rear liftgate window glass latch striker loop to verify there is a black plastic coating applied, as illustrated by the shaded area depicted in Figure 1.
2. If the striker loop has a black plastic coating, the loop may not be the root cause of the noise and further diagnosis is required.
3. If the striker loop does not have a black plastic coating, carry out the repair procedures that follow to apply the service kit.
PARTS:
NOTE: The liftgate glass striker loop repair kit (FQQ500080) contains sufficient parts to
repair three vehicles.
FQQ500080 .............Liftgate glass latch striker repair kit Qty 1

The repair is very simple, basically some striker loops on the liftgate glass were not coated with a plastic sleeve and may rattle as a result. The TSB instructs the technician to glue a small plastic sleeve on the tip of the metal striker loop... Looks like an easy DIY, should anyone have this problem. PM me if you wish to get copy of the the TSB with related repair illustrations.

Thanks umbertob. Yes, I had that latch repair kit fitted too which initially eliminated a rattle. However, the creaky tailgate noise persisted on speedhumps until the velcro pads were applied. Adjusting the four black rubber stops also helped quiten down the whole tailgate.

Post #88040 Tue Feb 27 2007 9:24pm
Frisco_TX_RRS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

Brian Mason wrote:
Worked out it must be movement between the upper and lower plastic mouldings around the lock & clasp. Despite small rubber pads, it clearly wasn't absorbing properly so I stuck on two fluffy (not the hooks) velcro pads either side of the lock cover moulding at the bottom of the tailgate. BINGO! It seems to stopped further movement and vibration, and given me renewed confidence to drive over speedhumps without ear defenders or valium.

Just to clairify - was the velcro applied to the upper liftgate, bottom or both.

Read else where on the forum there are 2 latches - so if the rubber is extended out too much - 2nd latch is not "activated". Need to lower the rubber all the wa so both latches are "activated"

Any one aware of the 2nd latch - has the velcro worked - has anyone had the noise come back with the velcro?

Thanks,
TS

Post #103408 Wed Apr 18 2007 8:30pm
Brian Mason

Frisco_TX_RRS wrote:
Brian Mason wrote:
Worked out it must be movement between the upper and lower plastic mouldings around the lock & clasp. Despite small rubber pads, it clearly wasn't absorbing properly so I stuck on two fluffy (not the hooks) velcro pads either side of the lock cover moulding at the bottom of the tailgate. BINGO! It seems to stopped further movement and vibration, and given me renewed confidence to drive over speedhumps without ear defenders or valium.

Just to clairify - was the velcro applied to the upper liftgate, bottom or both.

Read else where on the forum there are 2 latches - so if the rubber is extended out too much - 2nd latch is not "activated". Need to lower the rubber all the wa so both latches are "activated"

Any one aware of the 2nd latch - has the velcro worked - has anyone had the noise come back with the velcro?

Thanks,
TS

Frisco- You are correct that rubber stops need to be adjusted to enable the latch to secure properly. If they're unwound too proud, this could prevent full lock engagement resulting in rattles. Conversely, if they're screwed-in too far the tailgate will be loose and prone to movement, again causing rattles. Therefore, correct lock adjustment is essential to sit the closed tailgate comfortably on the rubber stops.

Nevertheles, the tailgate remains an especially heavy item and its' weight on bumpy roads can cause surface-to-surface movement around the lower section lock housing. This results in annoying squeak, audible over speed-humps, etc. This can prevented by inserting fluffy (not hooked) velcro pads to act as a "buffer." Pictures and description are shown on previous threads. It has worked really well for a number of RRS members, including me. Dont forget insist on the upper tailgate latch repair kit under warranty which prevents movement within the two lock sections and mechanism when closed.

Hope that helps. Good Luck! Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #103420 Thu Apr 19 2007 12:17am
Frisco_TX_RRS

Thank you Brian for the clarification.

May be a stupid question - but what is a fluffy velco vs a hook velco. Also, I open my tailgate at least twice a day - will this require peroidic replacement of the velco.

I will also look into the latch repair kit - leaned on the tailgate and the noise was there.

Post #103426 Thu Apr 19 2007 3:55am
umbertob

You know how a Velcro strip has two surfaces, one soft (the fluffy side), one hard (the hook side), use the "soft" part of the strip and discard the hook one... 

Post #103427 Thu Apr 19 2007 4:16am
Frisco_TX_RRS

Ah ha - learn someting new everyday -

Thank you - umbertob

Post #103558 Thu Apr 19 2007 4:01pm
Brian Mason

umbertob wrote:
You know how a Velcro strip has two surfaces, one soft (the fluffy side), one hard (the hook side), use the "soft" part of the strip and discard the hook one...

Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #103572 Thu Apr 19 2007 4:34pm
Frisco_TX_RRS

Just called the dealer. They have never heard of the latch repair kit - they said they will just adjust the rubber stops to stop the noise

Told him there was a TSB, he was not aware of it - need to stick the TSB in his face.

Thanks,
TS

Post #103667 Thu Apr 19 2007 7:47pm
umbertob

Frisco, PM me you e-mail address. 

Post #103669 Thu Apr 19 2007 7:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>