RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > Newbie Fun Day Feb 2006
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 10 <12345678910>

ST

I am not jealous that you are all going and I can't come at all Shocked Big Cry Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #14531 Sat Feb 25 2006 5:20am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

I'm as jealous as hell Evil or Very Mad

Post #14605 Sat Feb 25 2006 4:43pm
kam100

United Kingdom 
Just got back!!

After a disastarous morning, waking up at 8:48am, realising i had switched off both my alarm clock and mobile alarm in my sleep, i rushed out of the house in a mad panic (good job i had prep'd the car last night..).

Used plastic ties to mount the extinguisher under the passenger seat, lot easier then drilling and has the same effect.

Picked up my mate, got down to BP stuck some diesel in, grabbed some lunch and were on the road by 9:25am. (Were supposed to meet at 9:30am outside the designated pub near peterborough!! Embarassed )

Onto the M42, making reasonable progress, on cruise and the display suddenly shows SPECIAL PROGRAMMES OFF (was in normal mode, in Hi range!!?) chimed and the engine suddenly lost all power, the car jerked off cruise and i rolled to a standstill on the M42 hard shoulder! not the best start to a day one would find! Crying or Very sad

Rebooted the car with the usual fix for all, stop-start engine, and rejoined carriageway, usual warnings of low coolant level (weren't they supposed to fix that during the last visit to the dealer?!!) Evil or Very Mad

Got to the designated area by 10.50am and as expected not a soul in sight, no piece of paper left pinned to the post, and no mobile number taken to ring! Censored .. Censored .. Censored .. remember that first scene of four weddings and a funeral!? well thats what we were like..

We covered about 70 miles, covering every road and side alley trying to find Yarwell/Rockingham/Tixover with no luck, the sat nav gave us no clues, and even asked some of the local yokels which yielded nought. At about 11:50am we found ourselves sitting back outside the pub in the car park feeling sorry for ourselves, and started to eat our packed lunches in anticipation of maybe (just maybe) someone coming back for lunch at the pub, my mate got out and went into the (now open 12:00pm) pub and asked for some kind of idea or if they had seen a load of disco's and RRS's rip up their car park in the last few hours, and they handed him a card with BN's number on it. As he was walking back to the car, a silver LR experience RR pulled in, and three people got out. Luckily they had the other LRE guys numbers and managed to contact one of them, who told us they would all be coming back to the pub for lunch! Result!

Was really good to meet everyone in person, specially the RRS boys, and was a sight to see a sh*t load of discos and RR's come convoying into the pub car park. BN was really nice about it all, and we were able to join in to the afternoon activities.

Right, the RRS is an absolute monster, it is such a capable car, words cannot describe. VA even had to tow a disco 3 up a hill after it got stuck, which was quite funny! It was as described, a non damaging course yet challenging starter course, and the instructors were superb! everything was kept very safe, and we were able to see different areas of the cars capability over a range of ascents and descents.

The hill descent control is brilliant, and its a surreal experience being behind the wheel and the car stopping itself with no input from yourself, The command shift is an absolute must, and the terrain response system is excellent. We used mainly Sand setting and Mud Ruts to get across the many obstacles.

BN sat in with me on the first few runs, to help me catch up from the mornings session. As an absolute begginer, i didn't know anything about how to setup the car properly, i.e. left it in 1st gear and hi range on the first hill, and despite a lot of wheel spinning, it powered to the top with ease, after that BN showed me the difference using the proper low range and correct gearing to tackle the rest of the course. Towards the end the instructors let us have a free run on a few challenging runs, which was great fun.

The courses were excellent (well the one i saw anyway in the afternoon), and even with slight downpours of rain, the weather was overall quite nice, despite it being absolutely bloody freezing.

My RRS is now covered in crap, and looks like it should in my view.
Will post many pics, as soon as i can, am really tired now so going to have a power snooze before my planned evening out.

Have loads of pics to share, including VA pulling the poor old disco 3 from the bottom of the hill!

(Must say though, the disco 3 in question seemed to have malfunctioning traction control, so hence the stuck episode, but we can all still have a dig at the disco 3 boys if we get called drug dealers in our RRS' much more in the future!)

Thanks to BN and the other instructors for a great day, just the afternoon was worth the trip and the money! Even my passenger had a great day, and wants to buy a LR and get into off roading. Must say i am now keen to do more events like this, and may attend further courses, before my RRS leaves me.

Can't wait for the jungle track run at the Land Rover day in April! Very Happy

Post #14685 Sun Feb 26 2006 8:54pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Good to hear you guys had a fun day out well may be half day Kam Wink RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #14688 Sun Feb 26 2006 9:46pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I wont add much to Kam's essay except to say it was good fun. Nice to meet Kam and Matt and see you guys soon. I did enjoy towing the D3 out of trouble, even better knowing that the D3 boys knew that they would have their legs pulled about that one! All in all a good bunch of guys and great instructors. I now need something a little more challenging! G4 here I come! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14689 Sun Feb 26 2006 9:57pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Sorry to hear about your pi**er of a morning, Kam but it sounds like the lot of you had a blast. Compare this my weekend of the wife having disappeared to a health spa for the weekend, leaving me to look after & entertain the offspring. I know where I would rather have been! Crying or Very sad 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #14690 Sun Feb 26 2006 10:11pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Antigua? Did I mention I'm off there soon? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14691 Sun Feb 26 2006 10:17pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Some pictures in my gallery. Mostly taken by my son! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14698 Sun Feb 26 2006 10:36pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Nice pics, VA! Who's going down the hill on the video? Anyone we know? 

Post #14701 Sun Feb 26 2006 10:43pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Kam in the black RRS
mpwox11 in the Bonatti RRS
ME IN THE ZAMBEZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14705 Sun Feb 26 2006 10:57pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Was it all just D3 and RRS members or were there interlopers too? 

Post #14706 Sun Feb 26 2006 11:00pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Just us in our group. 8 D3's 3 RRS but others were on site too - we kept away from them, they smelt a bit!

One thing I will say it's great to use my RRS for what it was built for! Up yours Robin! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14707 Sun Feb 26 2006 11:03pm
JayMann

Cool pics VA wish i had my can and tagged along. RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #14715 Mon Feb 27 2006 1:16am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Here's a link to disco3. Nice mpeg of me pulling a D3 out! Laughing Laughing

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ealers.wmv

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Ner Ner Ner Ner 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #14738 Mon Feb 27 2006 11:07am
JayMann

Drud dealers to the rescue what they like? I'm guessing the D3 boys wern't to happy about you in your RRS getting the upper hand Smile

But i bet it was fun tho RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

Post #14739 Mon Feb 27 2006 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 10 <12345678910>