RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Meet the new Range Rover VELAR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 30 of 41 <123 ... 293031 ... 394041>

m13lky

United Kingdom 

Fkarim I was actually considering one in a year or so to replace my RRS once my youngest didn't need the buggy etc but not after last nights viewing, the poor quality of nearly everything you touch on a daily basis did disappoint me.

I do get your point about the target customers, I think we will just change less often and stick to the RRS unless drastic changes are made to the quality of these items.

My father in law was with me & he was considering one or an F pace which we also checked out in depth, I know they have their ict gremlins but all the flimsy bits of the velar actually seemed a lot better quality on a similar car that was nearly £30k less! He is after one of these now.

Post #528184 Thu Jun 15 2017 11:14am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Velar may have its own gremlins, especially with its new tech, given LRs track record. We just don't know yet as customers haven't received any cars. I quite liked the F-Pace loan car I had last year and enjoyed driving it a lot. It was a big step down from my RRS in terms of interior but then it is priced accordingly.

Which Velar variant did you see? The one I saw couple of weeks ago was R-Dynamic HSE and apart from the ugly (in my opinion) and cheap looking fake copper bits, the trim seemed like decent quality both externally and internally. I think there is a massive quality (and price) difference between the variants. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #528185 Thu Jun 15 2017 11:37am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

It was a black dynamic Hse 2.4 with a light denim, suede & white plastic interior which look & felt cheap & nasty, with all the extras it was £77k!

Post #528197 Thu Jun 15 2017 2:34pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Finally had the chance to see the Velar at a close-ish dealer.

Looks the biz, love the exterior styling (aside C pillar), but it is much smaller than I had expected.

Thats the only good bits.

Definately style over substance, it has the crap Jaguar interior below your elbow, a bit better above that. Seats felt too solid/firm and uncomfy, the infotainment 'looks' great but it does no more than my 2016.5MY?! it had a lot of features that imho you would use once and then never touch again. I did like the changeable driver screen, but where mine has buttons, the Velar has the same buttons but just a la ipod. Where you accessed everything through the snazzy screen, an analogue button would do just as well. Then there is the sticky finger print issue Whistle

The interior trim and exterior panels/trim felt very flimsy and the bottom sills will stone chip terribly if it ever went off-road...

So all in all my Velar due Sept is specced up to £74k which imho is simply too expensive for this model and think I would need to ditch the D300 engine and go for a 4 cyl to get the price down to the £55-65k price range.

The dealer had the Velar next to a RRS and Evoque and the two older 'Ford' products are definately 'better' than the new TATA Velar, but this is the future direction of JLR and I don't like it.

As a passing comment from the sales manager, the Velar is not built to get peeps out of RRS's but out of Audi's, Beemers and Mercs. So think I'll rather save for a RRS Gen 2 and keep mine for 5 years.....I'll drive one and go from there, but prob gonna cancel mine..... Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #528205 Thu Jun 15 2017 3:37pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

m13lky wrote:
It was a black dynamic Hse 2.4 with a light denim, suede & white plastic interior which look & felt cheap & nasty, with all the extras it was £77k!

The one I last saw was a P380 priced around the same level. I must have low standards then Laughing

Triple7 wrote:
So think I'll rather save for a RRS Gen 2 and keep mine for 5 years

According to your signature you are already in RRS Gen 2 Confused But my conclusion (confirmed by the salesman's comments also) was the same as yours. It will not satisfy RRS or FFRR owners unless they were consciously downgrading. The problem is it doesn't feel like a downgrade in the wallet department. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #528208 Thu Jun 15 2017 4:19pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Yes, the model in the showroom was a P380 at £84k Laughing Shocked

Soz, meant the facelift in a few years, I would like the Velar nose on my RRS, but prob won't be able to afford one anyway... Big Cry Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #528209 Thu Jun 15 2017 4:51pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Not sure which models you guys have seen but the HSE dynamic R has no cheap materials.

I've gone for D300 First Edition at £84k with all the bells and whistles and can't wait for it to come soon enough. From what I hear this will be the best driving range rover ever.

This all reminds me of when the RRS was launched and the HSEs looked cheap and tacky with plastic bits but then people saw the AB and loved them. Deja Vu!

Post #528228 Thu Jun 15 2017 11:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

£84k gets you a very nicely specced FFRR... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #528235 Fri Jun 16 2017 12:13am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

It also gets me a ton of other high end cars from BMW, Mercedes etc but they don't excite me as much and not what I want at the moment Smile

Funny enough it could actually get me in to a pretty decent used SVR too Mr. Green

Will be interesting to see how the market pans out in terms of high spec Velars v FFRR and RRS's in the time to come...

Post #528245 Fri Jun 16 2017 8:04am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Agree a nice spec velar ,imo only nice with high spec would get you any other RR product and as RRSman says even a SVR.
But then wait a bit as the SVR Velar is on its way!
Oh Censored so many choices. Big Cry SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #528273 Fri Jun 16 2017 1:37pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I guess it's a good thing - more choice for people to get car's to their own tastes rather than be bogged down with limited choice. To me the FFRR and the RRS both feel dated in comparison to the Velar now and I'd only consider one once they get the new updated technology. The new dual screens are bloody slick and completely lag free - yes there may be teething issues but the tech is made by Panasonic and if their other gear is anything to go by then JLR should finally have sorted out the in car tech issues they have been plagued with - fingers crossed Thumbs Up

Post #528281 Fri Jun 16 2017 3:01pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Only a couple of months to go RRSman. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how you get on with it. Pretty sure ( I think Embarassed ) that I am not going to buy one but still interested in finding out what it's like in real life. May test drive one when dealerships get their demos. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #528299 Fri Jun 16 2017 4:07pm
Triple7

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
Not sure which models you guys have seen but the HSE dynamic R has no cheap materials.

I've gone for D300 First Edition at £84k with all the bells and whistles and can't wait for it to come soon enough. From what I hear this will be the best driving range rover ever.

This all reminds me of when the RRS was launched and the HSEs looked cheap and tacky with plastic bits but then people saw the AB and loved them. Deja Vu!

It is a F-Pace interior below the elbow. It is not the same league as the RRS, which when sitting in b2b still feels more premium. The car on display was a P380DR at £84k. It looks fab, but it is a fancy dress on an F-Pace. Not sure it should have the RR badge from the inside.

Drive to come......may need a second view to reaffirm intial thoughts which tend to be harsher... Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #528302 Fri Jun 16 2017 4:16pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:

RRSman the one I saw was a 2.4 Hse dynamic r, with a lot of extras & the copper bits, but I would think the seat shape, flimsy handles, lightweight doors, no rear legroom etc would be the same in them all, it looks great from a distance but up close it does nothing for me now, a lovely blue F pace with large black wheels, black pack etc at £47k looked and felt a lot better in my opinion, granted the drive in the velar maybe great! It's the price I just can't get my head round, they say the market they're after is BMW X3, Audi Q5 etc but these are priced way below the velar by £30-35k for similar spec cars based on the one I have seen in the flesh & build on lines that I have done in the past month or so.

It would be boring if we all liked the same things so I hope you enjoy your new car.

Post #528306 Fri Jun 16 2017 4:32pm
forest172

United Kingdom 

I agree 100% with the above, I struggle to see the value in this car. Also my dealer said it`s a different market to the RRS buyer. But at it`s current price it isn`t.

Like lots have said what worries me is the MY18 RRS will be even more expensive.

I gave up my number 1 slot, just didn`t make me go wow and spending all that dosh I need to go wow!! Probably made the wrong decision Embarassed and it`ll do amazing Confused

My friend has the 2nd slot and has spent just shy of £70k on a pimped up S D300

Post #528360 Sat Jun 17 2017 10:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 30 of 41 <123 ... 293031 ... 394041>