RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Meet the new Range Rover VELAR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 29 of 41 <123 ... 282930 ... 394041>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tony, I'm sure that you are aware if this but DON'T buy a new F Type, dealers have loads and loads of pre-reg cars with huge discounts and it is easy to find them with less than 50 miles on the odo. You can even have your F Type with the new Si4 2.0lt petrol engine now............. plenty of show and not a lot of go! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527031 Mon May 29 2017 10:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Congratulations Tim!! 15000 posts.. Thumbs Up 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #527032 Mon May 29 2017 10:53am
Tim in Scotland

It has taken 12 years (minus 1 day!) to get there - sign of a mispent youth? Still have a long way to go before I catch members VA, JayMann or Shmoggle 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #527037 Mon May 29 2017 11:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Tim - saw the Velar at Lookers yesterday - the copper accents are indeed plastic and not real copper Rolling Eyes

So much for the staff who said otherwise at Solihull Laughing

Post #527197 Wed May 31 2017 9:54am
Triple7

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Tony, I'm sure that you are aware if this but DON'T buy a new F Type, dealers have loads and loads of pre-reg cars with huge discounts and it is easy to find them with less than 50 miles on the odo. You can even have your F Type with the new Si4 2.0lt petrol engine now............. plenty of show and not a lot of go!

2018MY's? Want an SVR, but losing at least £2k/month off lost.... Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #527290 Wed May 31 2017 10:30pm
Tim in Scotland

If you look on the Jaguar Approved Used listing there are plenty of F Type SVR's listed as ex demo cars, mostly Coupes though. There is even on of the very very limited edition Speed version listed at one dealership for £190,000 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #527310 Thu Jun 01 2017 12:39am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Saw a Velar again. This time at my RRS supplying dealer's event.

It was a P380 R Dynamic. That fake copper trim looked cheap, hideous and out of place wherever they have used it: on the fake bonnet vents, side vents and the lower front bumper. That area to the rear of the C pillar does look odd as others have pointed out but not too noticeable to me at least. Apart from that, the car is lovely from an aesthetic point of view. The roof definitely looked much lower than RRS and it was parked at normal height, not access. Didn't look like your regular estate car to me though.

The boot is very spacious. The interior is a very nice place to be in but understandably felt like less overhead room. After all the car isn't supposed to compete with the RRS but fit between RRS and Evoque (I know the price tag contradicts that statement). I was chatting to the salesman who I bought my RRS from and he told me LR have brought in the Velar targeting the market share of the likes of Macan. He pointed to a Macan as it was leaving the car park and said Velar looks much more modern than that - which it does indeed.

This one had a charged battery unlike the last one I sat in a couple of months ago so I could play a bit more with the screens and controls than last time. Refreshing to see the lag-free and modern infotainment system. Found it a bit odd that the HDC button was so close to the edge and it being a 'soft' button, may be very easy to engage HDC unintentionally but that's just a minor point.

It was sad that any questions people were asking about the car were related to cosmetic stuff and styling only. No one seemed interested in practicality, capability, performance etc. There was one lady (much higher percentage of females in attendance there for some reason) who had one on order already but was asking really basic questions about the car Shocked She had clearly ordered based on the looks only.

Bottom line for me: if I was downsizing and if the Velar cost same/slightly more than F Pace, I would be VERY interested. Otherwise for the price of a decently spec'd Velar, I would prefer a Sport any day for everything that it offers on top of Velar. That is IF I stick with JLR next time, which is doubtful due to recent dealership aftersales experiences...

Anyway, I don't think Velar can have a negative impact on RRS - both cars target very different markets. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #527475 Fri Jun 02 2017 7:56pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Nice write up Thumbs Up

The biggest negative the Velar will have on the RRS will be that the new RRS will be bloody expensive! If you look at the options list on the Velar if gives a jolly good indication that everything on the new RRS will be an optional extra!

Post #528069 Tue Jun 13 2017 11:39am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Most likely. When LR says Velar sits between Evoque and Sport they don't mean just in terms of size. Price also has to reflect that position in the line-up, but it doesn't at present. We know that RRV price can't go down so the only possibility is a nasty price hike for RRS. Probably means a double whammy of base price increase and making currently standard equipment optional going forward. That would pretty much confirm the end of my LR ownership whenever I let this Sport go (not anytime soon). Can't justify those prices for that build quality/poor QC/lack of durability and most importantly terrible customer service (particularly aftersales). Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #528073 Tue Jun 13 2017 12:19pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I guess that the cheap £ makes LR cheap overseas so they can increase prices and no one will notice, except here in the UK. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #528076 Tue Jun 13 2017 1:06pm
Tim in Scotland

fkarim wrote:
Most likely. When LR says Velar sits between Evoque and Sport they don't mean just in terms of size. Price also has to reflect that position in the line-up, but it doesn't at present. We know that RRV price can't go down so the only possibility is a nasty price hike for RRS. Probably means a double whammy of base price increase and making currently standard equipment optional going forward. That would pretty much confirm the end of my LR ownership whenever I let this Sport go (not anytime soon). Can't justify those prices for that build quality/poor QC/lack of durability and most importantly terrible customer service (particularly aftersales).

My sentiments too - I am now thinking that until the Defender replacement comes along (may be a long long wait) I may have to consider paying up at the end of my PCP and keeping my current car longer than was initially planned - it is a great car now but the durability in the long term is very worrying for them alrthough so far (kiss of death there) nothing has dropped off or failed yet but I do have rattles starting at 27 months old and only 16,000 miles and that does worry me. I'm not persuaded by PHEVs but ZEVs (100% electric or hydrogen) do so if I were to stay in the JLR fold I would be looking at the iPace.......... but I suspect it will have an AWD system like the F Pace's but with purely electric power, so not so good for offroad use. I don't ever see my RRS appreciating anywhere near as much as my Defender (if an RRS will ever appreciate) which has gone up in value by 40% based on what my local Indie has offered between last year and this year for it........ Defender prices are getting silly even for clapped out stellar miles cars - even Classic Rangies seem not to be able to keep up with Defender value inflation. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #528105 Tue Jun 13 2017 5:47pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
it is a great car now but the durability in the long term is very worrying for them alrthough so far (kiss of death there) nothing has dropped off or failed yet but I do have rattles starting at 27 months old and only 16,000 miles and that does worry me.

Mine has never left me stranded either. Don't want to drift too far away from the topic by going into the details of couple of durability issues I have had recently. Then there were the niggles from new that everyone else also experienced. Combined with terrible dealership experience, it all adds up Sad Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #528106 Tue Jun 13 2017 6:24pm
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Was at a dealership 'preview' last night and it looks good but.......
Still the Sport for me....

Post #528142 Wed Jun 14 2017 11:47am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Was at a dealership event tonight to see the velar, looks good from a bit of a distance but up close everything feels very cheap, door handles feel flimsy, seats aren't as supportive as RRS, no room behind my driver seat when I adjust it to where I sit, the light suede/denim/white plastic interior did not look or feel good in my opinion, plus side is the touch screens but apart from that very disappointing in my opinion. The 2.4 one was £77k so you could get an RRS ab for that easily just now.

Not for me I'm afraid!

Post #528168 Wed Jun 14 2017 9:56pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I guess most RRS and FFRR owners won't like the Velar much as they will inevitably compare to their current cars in terms of features, price and in small minority of cases capability too. Those groups aren't LR's target market for Velar though. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #528173 Wed Jun 14 2017 11:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 29 of 41 <123 ... 282930 ... 394041>