RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chipping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>

Biggles

England 

Having my RRS chipped today, have spoken in depth to Nick from Turbochips.
To allay any fears BN may be having about the D3 and RRS TR system. Nick has assured me that the only engine map that they alter is the road going one all the other TR maps will be left as standard from the factory, hope that this helps to clear any worrys up, regarding the alterations to the cars off road ability. So as far as I am being led to believe the torque throttle and engine management will not be changed and when off road all will be as it left the factory.
Will post more info as soon as I can. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1088 Thu Jul 21 2005 11:33am
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Sounds good Biggles, I was going to have this done to my D3 but when i started having problems with software and ecu issue, I chickened out.

Keep us posted as when my car has settled in and i know i have no issues I think i will get the RRS done.

Cheers Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #1090 Thu Jul 21 2005 11:39am
Biggles

England 

Will do Neil,
If you have any questions, Nick from turbochips is here now doing mine as we speak and I can ask him for you.

Stuart. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1091 Thu Jul 21 2005 11:44am
BN

England 

Since this, I have spoken to Chris at Turbochip at length and details are becoming clearer. The mapping TC do is good if it leaves the low ratio alone. The difference is that I use the D3 for a work horse and off road use, plus towing. But I also average 120,000 miles per year/per vehicle which costs me around £18000 per veh/p/year for fuel, so I have to get it right first time. The good thing is that if it does not work, Chris can reset the mapping back to original.

We plan to check it all out in about a weeks time.

Post #1193 Mon Jul 25 2005 7:26pm
Cambs Farmer

United Kingdom 

For what its worth..........my experience with engines that have either been turned up (properly done using a dynomometer <sp?> to check hp) or chipped, is that it often results in either a blown head gasket (had several Sad ) or blown piston resulting in new engine (had 1 Crying or Very sad ) so now if I need more power or to go faster I buy the next model up or the large engine option, keep it standard, you know it makes sence.

DW Its never heavy to carry horsepower.

Post #1201 Mon Jul 25 2005 10:43pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Hello

Just to let people know....there 'tuning' companies and there are TUNING companies!

We develop all our products in-house and will always purchase a vehicle rather that 'borrow' one to complete our development.

With regard to other tuners;Overfinch are actually a dealer of Superchips and as such any customer having a power upgrade on RR Sport will actually only be getting 36bhp extra.....this type of increase is barely noticeable or value for money.

As for 'plug in' boxes such as Dastek...whilst the quality is usually good, these type of devices can only alter injector fuelling and cannot control timing, torque limiters, throttle reponse and turbo pressure as we can do with Turbochip ecu upgrades!

There is not a 'plug in' box on the market that can beat an ecu upgrade for either performance or fuel economy.

We spent 7 days on a rolling road developing our performance increases on the TDV6 and now our 'standard' modification is +55bhp +120lbft torque with 15% improvement in fuel economy...yes 15%!!

To date we have modified 20 RR Sports, all for main dealers, with no issues.

As for reliability...our own Disco3 has travelled 20,000 mile witn no issues and does not use any oil. If anything the engine runs smoother...sounds quieter and returns 32mpg on a long run!

I'm happy to answer any technical queries that forum members may have Wink

Post #1207 Tue Jul 26 2005 4:32pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Turbochips

The only downside of my RRS TDV6 is that it is underpowered and drinks the fuel a bit too much for a modern diesel. I've always been a little sceptical of cipping etc. My main reason is that if you can get so much improvement after 7 days of work, why hasn't the manufacturer done the same?
What's the costs of this work on a RRS and how long does it take? (i.e. is it a day in London?) Does it invalidate the warranty or your insurance? Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1209 Tue Jul 26 2005 5:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Before I go any further, I am not in league with turbochips in any way what so ever.
I have in the past week had mine done and also know two disco3 that have been done.
Speaking with one of the disco owners last night, " Ive just shoved and overtook a sport on the road", my reaction was he trying, "oh yes he was".
The disco in question has covered 16000 miles in just under six months and has not missed a beat with the turbochip upgrade.
Also the other disco3 owner has told me that when he was given a courtesy car by his dealer (also a disco 3 ) he could really tell the difference between chipped and none chipped.
My own little notes about the chip so far yes definate extra power and the car seems to be recording 1 mile per gallon better fuel economy. Being as the car is still new to me then I would like to wait longer before giving any further consumption figures and as time goes by no doubt i will be using the extra bhp more and more.
One thing that was imediate and noticable was the slight delay from standstill to moving has actually decreased from the throttle.
Turbchips have assured me that the off road mapping of the car has been changed in no way what so ever.
Overall impression Smile Smile Smile Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1210 Tue Jul 26 2005 6:29pm
LRtuning

The conversion takes 2-3 hours.

One of our dealers will happily come to your home or place of work.

As for warranty and insurance; the conversion is completely undetectable but it will remain up to the individual to declare the conversion to their insurance company.

I have one customer who declared the conversion and he was charged an additional 10% premium over the year....I believe he was insured by Norwich Union.

Post #1215 Tue Jul 26 2005 9:31pm
Dastek

Scotland 
DASTEK UPGRADES

Hi All, Very Happy

First post so please be gentle Smile

I had noticed some activity from this thread on our web stats, so thought I'd take a look.

We are probably around 6 - 8 weeks from releasing the TDV6 Powerplug, all the development is done, we are just awaiting the O.E. ECU connectors to complete the conversion.

I would like to just correct a comment made by 'Turbochip' Our Dastek Powerplug DOES control all of the the following - quantity of fuel injected, point of injection (timing), boost pressure, & torque limitation all versus engine speed & engine load, so not just a unit that add's extra fuel at a certain boost pressure.

Our conversion offers 35Bhp & 70 lbft extra, anyone claiming that they can get more, is either adding too much fuel which will increase EGT beyond a safe limit (we test the EGT whilst developing our products on our in-house 4WD rolling road) or is getting a bit carried away on the marketing Laughing

I hpoe that clears things up.

Cheers,

Gerry

Post #1706 Wed Aug 17 2005 8:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

Gerry

I have no wish to get into a 'slanging match' and I have already acknowledged that your product is good.

As for suggesting that 35bhp is the max you can get from the TDV6 engine I'm afraid you're way off the mark.

Did Dastek purchase a TDV6 to do its development on? Turbochip did and we have just purchased a RR Sport to further our development.

I am happy to throw the gauntlet down and offer to do any back to back test you like with Turbochip Vs Dastek.

Plug in boxes are convenient but I have never seen any box (even a high quality product such as yours) out perform our Turbochip product or any other quality tuning program Wink

Post #1712 Wed Aug 17 2005 9:36am
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi all

Biggles how is yours going....any smoke ! and how much of a really difference has the mod made.

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #1714 Wed Aug 17 2005 9:45am
Biggles

England 

Going really well, Very little smoke over standard and excellent acceleration.
I have no complaints and would recommend the turbo-chip to anybody. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1716 Wed Aug 17 2005 9:52am
Dastek

Scotland 

Hi Turbochip,

Likewise I don't want to start mud slinging, however I have only replied with my corrections to your inaccurate post about our product.

However to answer your question, we do have our own Disco 3 TDV6, but don't have any plans to buy a RR sport, as we can borrow one anytime we like (as we did for 3 weeks after completing initial disco 3 testing)

I will gladly accept your gauntlet sir Wink however I would like to following rules to apply: the test be covered by a magazine, the smoke content be checked on a calibrated MOT smoke meter, the EGT be measured up a hill under full load at 70Mph & published against a metal analysis report for the exhaust manifold (we have this, but will gladly allow the lab to release the info) & accurate speed/time measurement be taken using either a Racelogic V-box or Datron GPS unit.

To some that have never heard of our company before, we have 3 sites, 1 in the UK & 2 in South Africa, between us employ over 250 staff, have 8 dynamometers, CNC fully automated pick & place electronic assembly facilities & supply to many major manufacturers for O.E. fitment.

I will allow the back to back test to tell all Very Happy

Cheers,

Gerry

Post #1729 Wed Aug 17 2005 8:55pm
Biggles

England 

Sounds like the chipping war has started,
But do agree it would be nice to see a so called shoot out and true figures published.
After all competition is good for us all. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1734 Thu Aug 18 2005 8:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>