RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybrid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AMT

United Kingdom 
HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybrid

Hi Guys,

Excellent forum like the disco 3 (which i still own)

Ordered my car in September and been told hopefully arrives next week. Can't wait Very Happy

Will be commuting circa 70 miles a day but would like to get most out of the hybrid technology without having access to a charging point whilst commuting.

So wanted to know if the battery charges during driving and braking like in a Lexus?

I was told by the dealer that even if I don't charge by plugging in there will always enough self regeneration and so battery left to ensure there is no impact on performance I.e. no reduction in bhp. Is that true? This is on the assumption that no battery charge means less bhp.

Thanks in advance guys. Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic P400E on order.

Post #590074 Fri Nov 08 2019 12:14am
Garry

United Kingdom 

Yes, the battery does charge when you take your foot off the accelerator and when you brake. Ive had mine a year and never not had the power if needed, even when the battery is at 0-2%. So far as your commute is concerned, first put your journey into Sat Nav and use it. The system is supposed to adjust engine/battery power based on things like inclines, traffic, fast roads etc. So far, I have not achieved more than 23 miles of electric travel on a full charge and that is with regeneration charging too.

I have taken this up with Land Rover and the car has been checked. Land Rover just say its up to 31 miles or was when I ordered mine. So technically they are correct as 23 is upto 31 but it has left a bad taste.

I plan to write and post a 1 year review soon. 2018/68 RRS PHEV - Indus (sold)
2008 RRS Tdv8
1995 Discovery diesel.
Lots of other non Land Rover cars.

Post #590191 Sun Nov 10 2019 10:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Less in winter on freezing mornings too unless the car has battery conditioning, but the claimed versus actual us a bone of contention with all PHEV’s . Make sure also that you use the park heat function while plugged into the mains as heating the car on the journey also reduces driving range drastically.
Mine has claimed 26 miles on a full charge, I’m lucky to see 22 after a warm summer’s day and a full charge gives 14-16 miles on a cold morning. Charge range is a bigger con than the old Official MPG was. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #590205 Sun Nov 10 2019 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renaco

Germany 
Re: HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybri

AMT wrote:

I was told by the dealer that even if I don't charge by plugging in there will always enough self regeneration and so battery left to ensure there is no impact on performance I.e. no reduction in bhp. Is that true? This is on the assumption that no battery charge means less bhp.

It’s true, the battery is never empty.

But if you push the car at longer trips with an 0-3% Battery Level then you just get the power of the the ICE and nothing (only a very small amount) of the Electric engine.

I had a P400e for more than 30.000 mls on German highways and tried all scenarios while using it for long business trips.
At the highway with 0 battery it was unbalanced and loud to drive fast, the petrol engine where forced too much and the car felt like 200hp in a 3ton car.

But don’t worry, the drivetrain works fine, as long as used in regions with limited top-speed. The breaking delivers a small regen Energy, for overtaking.
As there is no other backfill by driving in regular mode, once empty it recharges not more than 3%.

If you need to refill the Battery while driving, you can put the car in mud-ruts mode and the battery gets up to 20% loaded while driving. This is not official, it’s a function I found while checking everything during the ownership.

In summary you get a useful drivetrain if you commute every day with full battery’s and plug in as often you can. The drivetrain is also very quiet in hybrid mode, if you don’t use more than 60-70% of the power.
Annoying was for me once the petrol engine kicked in at cold temperatures, it where louder than a diesel until it warmed up. This is a big contrast to the mostly silent ride.

I remember the best moments with the P400e where going fully electric off-road, this was always impressive and is not to beat by any other experience off-road.

Best
René 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #590268 Mon Nov 11 2019 7:45pm
Renaco

Germany 

Hi AMT

Hope your car arrived as suggested and you enjoyed the first full electric tours in silence!
Please let us know your impressions and a picture would be great... Wink

Have a great Sunday! 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #590511 Sun Nov 17 2019 11:35am
ghunkin

United Kingdom 

Had my P400 just over a year now and as previous posts state,I've never had more than 23 miles on electric - but you have to really work hard to get that with anticipating lights, traffic etc. Same experience when queried with Land Rover dealer - we only said up to 31 miles!
Also, I've never been able to use the pre-heat function without it taking 5-10% of the battery charge - even with preserve range selected.Again, dealer says this is normal.
Again, in sub-zero weather I get 14-17 miles.
Learn to feather the accelerator to keep the charge power needle at zero if you want gain momentum downhill - the regenerative braking is very heavy even on steep hills.

That said, I absolutely love the car as I rarely drive more than 20 mile journeys and can do so in perfect comfort and silence.
In recent snow I also had the pleasure of driving around cars, trucks and buses stuck going up steep hills being able to stop,ask if they were ok and then pull away again with perfect traction in electric mode - something many other hybrid SUV cars can't do as the electric only powers 2 wheels. Very Happy

If you can tolerate the wild claims of 31 miles being a complete falsehood, you will love this car. Thumbs Up

Post #596919 Tue Mar 24 2020 12:05am
timhum

United Kingdom 

My P400 has a 3L petrol engine, no electric motors at all, should I complain to Land Rover?

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #596959 Tue Mar 24 2020 5:41pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Yes. I mean no. It would be a good idea if this thread could be renamed P400e so that we don't confuse future visitors.

In terms of the P400e drive train, I also love it. In all my replies on this topic I callout the superior start/stop experience. To pull up on electric and pull off on electric even as the petrol kicks in shortly afterwards, it makes the start stop experience very smooth. And the P400e has plenty of grunt for everyday driving, kind of like the torque of a diesel (well, nearly) and from zero RPM which helps enormously, plus the free revving nature of a perky petrol. I specced the active rear locking diff and it lights up like a Christmas tree a lot of the time, so it's definitely being used, maybe it's due to the torque.

Economy is pretty terrible if you're not making full use of electric range, so I would not call it an economy drive train. Just a very nicely balanced one between performance and smooth progress. My residents parking permit is £20 a year (down from £180 a year), but my insurance stings at £1500 a year (high risk post code, no drive, full NCB), double my prior RRS diesel.

If they ever reopen the factory people should defo order a P400e! L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #596962 Tue Mar 24 2020 6:22pm
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

So have a 2020 RRS P400e as a loan car with 48 miles on the clock.

When I picked it up there was 8 miles of electric charge that lasted about 4 miles and then went to zero. I tried everything on my way home to get some electric charge back but after 14 miles it still reads zero - what is the point in this type of system as from what I read on a normal 13a socket it will take +12 hours to charge and once the charge is gone that’s it, no real regen at all?

So far it seems to be a way for LR to con the government into thinking they are producing hybrid cars - presume it’s the same for other manufacturers? "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #609622 Sat Feb 06 2021 4:02pm
Nano2nd

United Kingdom 

assuming you don't buy one for the company car tax break then they are really best suited to people who have regular access to a 7kwh socket, if you've only got access to a 13amp plug top then it still works if most your your journeys are less than 15-20 miles.

i love mine Smile  2020 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic

Post #609647 Sun Feb 07 2021 9:54am
Cunny678

Ive had mine about 18 months now and my commute is 16 miles each way mainly on the motorway. Before lock down I was averaging 50-60mpg to work and back, but this reduced during lockdown as there is no traffic and I am mainly at 70mph.

I have had a play with most of the settings when i've been bored on the commute and the best way to get the most mpg out of my trip is to use the sat nav. But also you have to tick the return journey in the route setting when you put the destination in, use Eco Mode and cruise control to get the best out of it. I don't like Eco Mode as the accelerator is lifeless when driving normally but it works well with cruise control.

I only wish there was a way to set the suspension up for sport and use eco mode as I prefer a firmer ride. However, using sport mode with the sat nav and cruise control results in much lower mpg when compared with Eco Mode.

Fantastic car with only the delay in the radio / sat nav / dash starting being my only real disappointment.

Post #610081 Tue Feb 16 2021 1:25pm
Rusty Ranger

United Kingdom 

Japserooney,
The P400e doesn't suit everyone's usage and situation, as others have pointed out. For me, the car works well because most of my journeys are quite short, I have a driveway on which to park the car for charging, the electric motor supplements the petrol engine to make it really quick, and it is so quiet and refined when the engine is not operating. I bought it as my on-ramp to a fully electric car next time, once the non-Tesla charging network is fit for purpose.

When the battery is indicated as zero, it isn't empty, but continues to operate in hybrid mode.

Post #610168 Wed Feb 17 2021 10:56pm
mikef

United Kingdom 
Re: HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybri

Renaco wrote:

It’s true, the battery is never empty.

But if you push the car at longer trips with an 0-3% Battery Level then you just get the power of the the ICE and nothing (only a very small amount) of the Electric engine.

I had a P400e for more than 30.000 mls on German highways and tried all scenarios while using it for long business trips.
At the highway with 0 battery it was unbalanced and loud to drive fast, the petrol engine where forced too much and the car felt like 200hp in a 3ton car.

Correct. I've had a FFRR L405 P400e for about 18 months now and it definitely has a split character. When the battery has charge then the performance is acceptable although it never feels like a 400hp car should. When the battery charge indicator is down to zero there is still a small amount of residual battery assistance (according to the EV diagram) but the ICE engine is on all the time except for a very short distance pulling away from a standstill and the performance is significantly reduced. And the fuel consumption is significantly increased; I get about 23-24mpg on a long run after the battery is depleted

I have found that pressing the Save button on the EV page, as well as preserving the battery range, does seem to improve the performance a bit compared to zero charge performance. Not sure why this is

Overall I havent been that impressed by the P400e. Yes I am achieving around 45mpg overall but I charge the car religiously at home and at work so my 22mile commute is almost all electric but, for me, that isnt enough of a compensation for having to put up with the thrashy 4 cyl ICE engine and the extra weight which does affect the ride and handling. So its back to diesel next time for me, probably a L494 D300 which is why I'm lurking here!

Post #620669 Sat Jan 08 2022 1:28pm
R22Flyer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Just make sure you recharge it when you can, love mine had it 18 months, I mainly use EV mode but as you only have 20 miles of ev power, jut run it in normal mode. Tesla Model Y - 2023
RRS 3 Autobiography P440e 2023 - Order Cancelled
RRS Autobiography P400e 2020 - White
Bentley 2008 Arnage 6.75L V8 - Fountain Blue
Lexus NX300h 2019 Red - Sold
Lexus RX450h 2016 Red - Sold
RRS HSE MY12, SDV6, Orkney Grey - Sold
RR Evoque, Prestige Lux, Owned 1 week and Gone
Lexus RX450h, Silver
BMW X6, 3.5D Red, LOL
RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Post #620791 Mon Jan 10 2022 9:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top