RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybrid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AMT

United Kingdom 
HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybrid

Hi Guys,

Excellent forum like the disco 3 (which i still own)

Ordered my car in September and been told hopefully arrives next week. Can't wait Very Happy

Will be commuting circa 70 miles a day but would like to get most out of the hybrid technology without having access to a charging point whilst commuting.

So wanted to know if the battery charges during driving and braking like in a Lexus?

I was told by the dealer that even if I don't charge by plugging in there will always enough self regeneration and so battery left to ensure there is no impact on performance I.e. no reduction in bhp. Is that true? This is on the assumption that no battery charge means less bhp.

Thanks in advance guys. Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic P400E on order.

Post #590074 Fri Nov 08 2019 12:14am
Garry

United Kingdom 

Yes, the battery does charge when you take your foot off the accelerator and when you brake. Ive had mine a year and never not had the power if needed, even when the battery is at 0-2%. So far as your commute is concerned, first put your journey into Sat Nav and use it. The system is supposed to adjust engine/battery power based on things like inclines, traffic, fast roads etc. So far, I have not achieved more than 23 miles of electric travel on a full charge and that is with regeneration charging too.

I have taken this up with Land Rover and the car has been checked. Land Rover just say its up to 31 miles or was when I ordered mine. So technically they are correct as 23 is upto 31 but it has left a bad taste.

I plan to write and post a 1 year review soon. 2019 RRS PHEV - Indus

Post #590191 Sun Nov 10 2019 10:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Less in winter on freezing mornings too unless the car has battery conditioning, but the claimed versus actual us a bone of contention with all PHEV’s . Make sure also that you use the park heat function while plugged into the mains as heating the car on the journey also reduces driving range drastically.
Mine has claimed 26 miles on a full charge, I’m lucky to see 22 after a warm summer’s day and a full charge gives 14-16 miles on a cold morning. Charge range is a bigger con than the old Official MPG was. 2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - a test car before Seeing if I could go to totally Petrol/Diesel free motoring
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #590205 Sun Nov 10 2019 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renaco

Re: HSE Dynamic P400 arriving next week- tips on using hybri

AMT wrote:

I was told by the dealer that even if I don't charge by plugging in there will always enough self regeneration and so battery left to ensure there is no impact on performance I.e. no reduction in bhp. Is that true? This is on the assumption that no battery charge means less bhp.

It’s true, the battery is never empty.

But if you push the car at longer trips with an 0-3% Battery Level then you just get the power of the the ICE and nothing (only a very small amount) of the Electric engine.

I had a P400e for more than 30.000 mls on German highways and tried all scenarios while using it for long business trips.
At the highway with 0 battery it was unbalanced and loud to drive fast, the petrol engine where forced too much and the car felt like 200hp in a 3ton car.

But don’t worry, the drivetrain works fine, as long as used in regions with limited top-speed. The breaking delivers a small regen Energy, for overtaking.
As there is no other backfill by driving in regular mode, once empty it recharges not more than 3%.

If you need to refill the Battery while driving, you can put the car in mud-ruts mode and the battery gets up to 20% loaded while driving. This is not official, it’s a function I found while checking everything during the ownership.

In summary you get a useful drivetrain if you commute every day with full battery’s and plug in as often you can. The drivetrain is also very quiet in hybrid mode, if you don’t use more than 60-70% of the power.
Annoying was for me once the petrol engine kicked in at cold temperatures, it where louder than a diesel until it warmed up. This is a big contrast to the mostly silent ride.

I remember the best moments with the P400e where going fully electric off-road, this was always impressive and is not to beat by any other experience off-road.

Best
René 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #590268 Mon Nov 11 2019 7:45pm
Renaco

Hi AMT

Hope your car arrived as suggested and you enjoyed the first full electric tours in silence!
Please let us know your impressions and a picture would be great... Wink

Have a great Sunday! 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #590511 Sun Nov 17 2019 11:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1