RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Tesla Style Screen 10.4 - Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>

aaronjb

United Kingdom 

No immediate thoughts other than that looks ruddy brilliant! How much did the bits cost to get printed, if you don't mind me asking? 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #585379 Thu Aug 15 2019 4:13pm
david007

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Vesuvius Orange

That's going to look great once your finished, must be pleased with what you've achieved.

Post #585381 Thu Aug 15 2019 4:26pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Gerd1986 wrote:
Finally the parts arrived.

It's looks good but I do need to do a bit or sanding on them as the 3D printing lines are showing. I then need to repaint them gloss black to match the center console or have them vinyl wrapped in gloss black, alternatively have then covered in the same ivory material as the original.

Feedback welcome as to what people think the best approach would be...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Looks awesome Mate Bow down Thumbs Up

All the hard work and stress will be worth it. I'd wrap in matching ivory personally. But first I'd wrap in black vinyl to see how piano black looks and then if you like it keep it. If not rip it off and put the matching ivory leather on it. But you need to make sure having the matching grain.

Once again looks awesome Thumbs Up I'about to start on my 10.25" wide screen build to run Android Auto in WiFi or WiFi Direct mode...

Look forward to the finished article, with your redesigned interface Thumbs Up 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #585402 Fri Aug 16 2019 4:48am
urhunden

Sweden 

Is the unit you used the same as "LiisLee Car Multimedia GPS Audio Hi-Fi Radio Stereo For Land Rover Discovery 4 LR4 L319 2009~2016 Original Style Navigation NAVI" sold through AliExpress?

Does anyone know about installing it in a Discovery 4 MY 2011 LHD. Will there be the same problems?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290479369...3c40269ac3

Post #585548 Sun Aug 18 2019 4:54pm
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

aaronjb wrote:
No immediate thoughts other than that looks ruddy brilliant! How much did the bits cost to get printed, if you don't mind me asking?

A lot, I will PM you how much.

Post #585552 Sun Aug 18 2019 6:37pm
Gerd1986

Quote:
Looks awesome Mate Bow down Thumbs Up

All the hard work and stress will be worth it. I'd wrap in matching ivory personally. But first I'd wrap in black vinyl to see how piano black looks and then if you like it keep it. If not rip it off and put the matching ivory leather on it. But you need to make sure having the matching grain.

Once again looks awesome Thumbs Up I'about to start on my 10.25" wide screen build to run Android Auto in WiFi or WiFi Direct mode...

Look forward to the finished article, with your redesigned interface Thumbs Up

So I am going to be getting hold of some replacement seat covers as they got scratched up when my car got broken into. I only just remembered this yesterday, I'm I'm now planning on using the leather from the old ones to cover it the black as per the rest of the car.

In terms of the interface, I'm playing with FCC launcher and carwebguru, different problems with each, I should say niggles really but want it spot on. I have rooted it and I'm now playing around with different things to get it just right. I will post up when I'm there.[/quote]

Post #585554 Sun Aug 18 2019 6:41pm
Gerd1986

urhunden wrote:
Is the unit you used the same as "LiisLee Car Multimedia GPS Audio Hi-Fi Radio Stereo For Land Rover Discovery 4 LR4 L319 2009~2016 Original Style Navigation NAVI" sold through AliExpress?

Does anyone know about installing it in a Discovery 4 MY 2011 LHD. Will there be the same problems?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290479369...3c40269ac3

Exactly the same unit apart from the surround being different, looks like it doesn't matter if it's LHD or RHD for your one. Happy to help walk you through the install.

It's also exactly the same seller, don't trust anything he says. I'm happy to answer any questions you have so you know what your getting into. You will also want to pay a bit more for 2gb of ram and 32gb storage and tell him you will check it with independent software when it arrives.

If you have any problems don't trust he will fix it and raise a dispute straight away, don't close the dispute until he fixes it no matter what he promises.

Post #585555 Sun Aug 18 2019 6:49pm
urhunden

Sweden 

Wow,
thanks for the help you are offering.

Had some unluck with my Disco 4 TDV6 which I bought with a broken crankshaft. Replaced with a used engine. Everything was fine until a water tube got loose and the engine overheated. Now it is all over again and the engine is on its way to Oval Autos for reconditioning. Will take a couple of weeks with transport and installing.

Now I have a Disco 3 G4 I will sell when the Disco 4 is on the road. Will get used to the Disco 4 and start modifying after a while. The bigger screen is one thing. Will come back to you when I will do it.

Post #585556 Sun Aug 18 2019 6:58pm
Gerd1986

Do the TFT screen mod as well. Haven't looked back since I did, really brings the car up to date.

Post #585560 Sun Aug 18 2019 7:40pm
urhunden

Sweden 

Pleas explain TFT screen. Do you mean the main screen in front of the driver?
Needs some reprogramming that is not for the average person, I understand.

Post #585564 Sun Aug 18 2019 8:15pm
Gerd1986

There is a guy over on the disco forum who can do it for you, in terms of opening it up and reading the chip it's really not that hard at all and the chip reader is only a few pounds.

Post #585567 Mon Aug 19 2019 5:55am
steven_be

Belgium 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bourneville

I've spent about a dozen hours here, on xda and on the Russian forum, and it is pretty clear to me how this works ... However, the other sites don't mention the RRS specifics of this product. I hope the guys who did this already can answer the following questions:

1. I see it's possible to ged rid off the AC controls on the screen. Has anybody run into troubles using the original knobs on the dashboard (ppl who installed this in US trucks seem to have problems with this).

2. Is it correct that this unit has no built-in amplification and is there decent sound on the aux output? Alternatively, has anybody used a USB dac? Do the volume up/down buttons on the screen control the original stereo over CANbus? Do the volume up/down button on the steering wheel continue to function?

3. Which Rom did you install? The latest from the Russian forum? Did anybody get a custom Rom from the nice and active Russian guy on XDA?

4. Has anybody a working setup to automatically use iPhone internet tethering or is is imperative to get a separate SIM card and USB adapter with a sim modem to avoid frustration?

5. Which seller did you buy from? Are you happy or unhappy with the service?

Cheers,

Steven

Post #589340 Sun Oct 27 2019 3:35pm
Gerd1986

1. I see it's possible to ged rid off the AC controls on the screen. Has anybody run into troubles using the original knobs on the dashboard (ppl who installed this in US trucks seem to have problems with this).

The A/C controls are not on the screen all the time, the A/C display only shows when you use the hardware knobs. As you have the hardware displays and knobs this display is useless as you cant change the A/C controls from it and it just gets in the way, something I have been trying to get rid of.

If you are talking about the top and bottom bars that are hardcoded, even with guides I have been unable to get rid of these, something I would still like to get rid of.

2. Is it correct that this unit has no built-in amplification and is there decent sound on the aux output? Alternatively, has anybody used a USB dac? Do the volume up/down buttons on the screen control the original stereo over CANbus? Do the volume up/down button on the steering wheel continue to function?

There is no built in amplification, when I first got the unit the sound was awful. I found that the unit defaults the sound to 100% which crackles, you then need to go into the settings and turn it down after launch each time. By installing a 3rd party launcher you can get to the original android volume settings and turn it down permanently which resolves this. I have the logic7 system and im not sure if this system amplifies it or not but the sound if absolutely fine for me with bass etc.

The volume buttons on the screen do work, although I find them very hard to use as both driver and passenger, the hit areas is just too small.

The volume buttons on the steering wheel do work and this has now become the main way of controlling the volume.

3. Which Rom did you install? The latest from the Russian forum? Did anybody get a custom Rom from the nice and active Russian guy on XDA?

I have spoken to the guy I think you are talking about, I passed over all my files etc to him. The unit I have is built on the same platform but slightly different and his rom is not compatible yet. Specifically that the "console" screen is used for the original OEM display. As far as I am aware this setup is not used for any other car manufacturer. I havent had the car for a while as its been in the garage but I will be extracting my Rom soon and sending it over to him to have a look at. I have read through what his custom firmware does but im not sure it solves the problems I have.

I have a number of apps and have changed things myself to get it how I want it, one frustration I have had is that some of the guides on XDA and 4PDA have not worked for me and I have had to do some significant troubleshooting to get them to work.

I would not try installing one of the other Roms as you will probably lose the original screen display in the "console" menu.

4. Has anybody a working setup to automatically use iPhone internet tethering or is is imperative to get a separate SIM card and USB adapter with a sim modem to avoid frustration?

I used to use tasker to start up a hotspot on my android once it got the bluetooth connection, this frustrated the hell out of me. I then bought a hotspot and sim, this frustrated me because it wouldnt come on with the car , I had to physically turn it on everytime, I now have an older USB stick plugged in above the middle cubbyhole fridge which turns on once the USB gets power, I have never thought about it since and im my opinion the best option.

5. Which seller did you buy from? Are you happy or unhappy with the service?

I bought from Grand Tour Store, he was very helpfull to begin with and sent me pictures of everything. Once I got the unit I had problems which I have listed out here which he tried to fix by giving me updates, none of these worked, but esentially the unit for our cars has firmware that is unique and therefore doesnt get updated, eventually he stopped responding e.g. Translations are dodgy, when you open the doors it shows the wrong door open etc.

You will want to ask for the Ram and Memory to be upgraded from 1gb and 16gb to 2gb and 32gb, make sure you tell whoever you buy it from that you will use 3rd party software to check it as many will just change the values in the software rather than change the hardware itself. As you will know it can be slow to boot up, I dont think I could live with it if it was any slower than it is now with 2gb installed.

Overall I love it and mainly just have it setup to launch Waze on startup, Waze has spotify built in and therfore my music plays through this. As mentioned before in this thread I still have niggles which I will be trying to fix and will update here. I have yet to find anyone else active on a forum that has the same unit as I do and therefore support is slim.

If you have anymore questions just ask, I will help where I can.

Post #589365 Mon Oct 28 2019 7:47am
Gerd1986

Quick update.

The car has been in and out of the bodyshop for some time due to the stealers damaging the paintwork which needed to be fixed.

I recently had my seat bolster retrimmed as it had a rip in it and took the opportunity to get the the panels trimmed in matching leather from the seat covers I had replaced.

I feel it looks very slick now and looks almost standard.

I will hopefully have some time over Christmas to start focusing on the software, I now have an extensive to do list which I have found solutions for that I just need to impliment:

Backup firmware
    Add a range rover boot animation
    Change the car image to a black autobiography
    Install Google assistant for voice control
    Spelling issues
    Remove the top bar and replace with custom bar
    Stop Spotify being killed when going into system apps

Also I want to try and speed up the boot process, firstly through optimising the boot process and disabling some boot apps. Secondly I have also been. Told a supplier in the U.S. has an upgrade kit for 'fast boot' which I will look into.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Post #592076 Thu Dec 19 2019 1:23pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

That looks great! By the way - when you had the parts scanned and 'flipped' to be 3D printed, who retained ownership of the resulting mesh/stl/files; you or the folks who did the scanning? 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #592078 Thu Dec 19 2019 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>