Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Tesla Style Screen 10.4 - Project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>

Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
Tesla Style Screen 10.4 - Project

Hi All,

There have been a few threads about the 10.4 Tesla Style screen available for the 2010-2013 Facelift Sport on here and on the Disco forum. I took the plunge and bought one therefore sharing my findings with the rest of you. Apologies for the mammoth post.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When buying the unit from China I assumed the the following:

The fascias supplied with the screen are for LHD only, I would need to find a solution to get this to work in a RHD vehicle.
Many of the suppliers of these screens falsify the specification changing systems files to make the specs look better than they are.

Bypassing the existing unit could cause problems with the Logic 7 system or cause issue with sound quality/ Volume

The boot up times on these units can be quite long, although the reverse camera will work straight away.

I would no doubt lose some of my existing functionality by replacing the original screen. But I had some specific features that I wanted to keep:
    Surround Cameras
    Factory Fitted Rear Screen Entertainment
    DAB Radio

I contacted multiple suppliers and chose one who was VERY responsive and answered the majority of my questions which are outlined below:

What Android version is the unit?

Although the unit itself states version 6 it looks as though it is 4.4.4, this was made clear in the specifications.

What Ram and Storage has the unit got?

1gb Ram, 16gb storage, I discussed this with the seller and asked if this could be upgraded. He advised me at an additional cost he could upgrade it to 2gb Ram and 32gb storage. I chose this option.

How will this work with the Logic 7 system?

I didn't get a clear answer on this one, I was advised it would work with all exiting features and functionality. (More on this later)

What functionality would I lose?

The answer was none, but I didn't get an answer of how or screenshots of the existing functionality working. I was pretty sure they had not integrated every piece of original functionality. (More on this later). I had to purchase another unit to get DAB to work.

Can the processor be upgraded from a PX3 to PX5 to decrease boot time?

No, the units for the RRS are not available with the PX5.

The supplier then sent me detailed screenshots of every screen on the unit and all the connections. They seller was very responsive to every question I had, I had buyer protection and used a credit card incase anything went wrong.

Delivery

Delivery was through DHL and the unit came within a week, fully tracked and it was very well packaged and secure. I did have to pay the import duty on the unit through DHL when it arrived.

Initial thoughts

It is a very well made unit and feels quality, the screen bezel was slightly larger than I expected but not unreasonable. The facia provided for a LHD vehicle was great quality and had a soft feel to it, matching the current interior. There was a slight indent on the front where the mounting points on the back are situated but as I am not using it I wasnt that bothered.

What was in the box?

2 x LHD Panels
    1 x Screen
    1 x Small Speaker
    1 x GPS receiver
    1 x Harness to plug into the existing wiring
    1 x connection for 2 USB ports

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Installation

I started by removing the fascia with the clock and power button on it, you can simply prise this off gently and unplug the 3 connections from the back

I then removed the 2 x air vents which have 2 screws on each, you simply tilt them back and pull them out.

The existing touchscreen has 4 x screws, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom, you tilt the screen and pull out the existing unit which has a facia and then the unit itself.

I then unplugged the connector that matched the harness supplied and connected the harness and then plugge that into the new screen.

The new screen then received power and booted up, the first screen to load had a picture of the car and the Speed and RPM visualisations. Speed was in KPH. (Mental note made to change this)

I then tried to figure out how all the existing functionality worked….unplugged everything in the existing unit...which caused nothing to work. I plugged the other end of the unti into the original unit, I didn't see how this would work as the existing screen would still need to be there but thought it was worth a try…. No joy. I then sent a video of the install to the supplier and everything became clear.

You need to open up the original unit, 4 x screws on each corner, unplug a ribbon going to the screen part only and plug this into the new screen. BINGO! In the ‘Console’ screen on the until appeared the original interface from the original unit, all features and functionality still working and full touch screen capability to control it. The resolution also looks alot better than the original screen. The back of the original unit screws to the new screen and fit’s perfectly into the dash.

Click image to enlarge

One problem….The screen is slightly off to the right and therefore cut off about half way through the clock on the right side. (I have raised this with the supplier and his engineer is currently looking into it, again, great support from the seller but I think I know why this is)

I then plugged in all the other cables and routed them into the glove box, the GPS and DAB aerial I have routed up to the dash for now until I find a home for them. There is also an AUX (Headphone) cable that needs to be connected to the rear Aux socket on the rear console. This means that on the original interface screen you have to put it in Aux as the sound source to get any sound from the new unit,

I also installed a Huawei Wifi dongle using the unit’s USB port to give the unit, car and dashcam internet access on the move. If you don’t have Wifi then this unit is pretty useless.

Facia

I am trying out multiple solutions to create the facia for the RHD version:

Use a Kinect to 3D scan the pieces I was supplied, flip the 3D model to RHD and then have it 3D printed. Initial tries have not been successful
    Use a DSLR to photograph the pieces and then have software stitch them together to create a 3D model to be printed.
    I bought an additional RHD facia from flebay, cut the gap for the until to fit and installed it. This works but I have holes next to the unit where the hardware controls were and exposed foam showing. If the above solutions don't work I will be using the facias supplied as a template to create plastic ends to the facia I have cut and will then use this to create fibreglass fascias which I will then have covered to match or polish and paint/wrap to match the gloss black trim.

Interface

As I noted above it take a while to boot up, 20-30 sec but if you select reverse it brings up the original touchscreen interface with the rear camera view showing.

As a priority I wanted to check the specs of the unit, therefore downloaded the terminal app from the apps store and checked as the interface display can be doctored to show fake information. It came back as 2gb Ram and 32gb Storage which is exactly what I paid for. I also showed the android version as 6, therefore I need to investigate this further to see if it is 6 or 4.4.4.

The initial screen, as I mentioned earlier, showed a picture of the car with Speed (KPH) and RPM this covers half the screen. The other half was a music widget playing a test MP3 already loaded on the unit, this covers the other half.

Click image to enlarge

At the bottom of the screen is a bottom bar which is fixed, this gives bluetooth connection status and volume control.

Lastly at the very top of the screen is the menu and usual black android bar showing time, wifi status etc. this is also fixed.

Menu Selections

Navigation

The supplier set the unit up with a program called NAVI, I instantly went to the play store and switched this out for Waze. In the settings menu you can set this as the default navigation app. It works brilliantly and the wife loves it. The one issue is that when navigating on the unit Waze will essentially shut down, went you return to navigation Waze will do it’s thing and ask if your still going to the same place and automatically start navigation again, this is a niggle as it hasn't bothered me that much.

Click image to enlarge

Internet

Chrome browser, works as you would expect.

Click image to enlarge

Music

The music screen only plays MP3’s, as I use spotify this screen and menu item is useless to me, unfortunately you are unable to reprogram any other buttons other than the navigation one.

Console

As I mentioned earlier this is the full original interface allowing you to use it as you used too. It also includes a menu in the middle replacing all of the hardware controls that have been removed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phone

As you would expect this screen allows you to add/remove bluetooth devices, phonebook, recent calls, etc. I haven't got the phone book etc to sync up yet but I haven't played around with it.

Click image to enlarge

Movies

As you would expect a movie player than plays content from the internal memory or from storage connected to the USB input.

Click image to enlarge

Aux

The harness does have an Aux video input, I have no use for this.

Click image to enlarge

TV

You can connect a TV model but I have this factory fitted, therefore can use the original interface.

Phone Link

This gives you the ability to mirror your phone screen to the unit, I haven't played around with this yet but would give you access to Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Click image to enlarge

Cam

As the unit uses the original interface to display the cars cameras this is not used.

Click image to enlarge

DVR

I think you can connect a DVR to store DashCam footage etc but have not looked into this as I already have a dashcam installed.

Click image to enlarge

Files

Access to all files stored on the devices

App List

Access to all installed apps including Google Play Store, this is how I access spotify when not using Waze navigation (Waze has Spotify built in). This is also how I access DAB through a dedicated App.

Click image to enlarge

Settings

This give you access to the interface settings menu which allows you to set the navigation app to use, date/time and additional settings. The translations of the settings isn't great and therefore hard to understand what they actually do. In one of these menus is the ability to change KPH to MPH but the screen has a postcode behind it which does not work etc.

You also have access to the Android settings menu from here as you would on your phone, it’s hard to understand how the two different settings menus interact with each other e.g. Date/Time. I had to set this in the Android menu manually and not from the network as it kept defaulting to weird times, I will need to have a play with this more.

Click image to enlarge

Summary

The unit has exceeded my expectations, I have kept all existing factory fitted functionality (Apart from dual screen). I now have access to my choice of navigation app and music streaming service, I can control the unit by voice (Google) which is infinitely better than the factory fitted voice controls and I have the ability to use AA and ACP.

The unit really brings the interior up to date, apart from the facia I have had many compliments on the unit including the service centre.

Issues to resolve (some not mentioned above)

Building the facia
Original Interface is off to the right
Control of the Menu items
Change KPH to MPH
The doors display on the screen when open but for the front door are the wrong way round on the car image
Alter some translations (Conneted to Connected)
Change the loading screen image to a animation
Change the car shown in pages to mine

Additional Note

There is a community starting to build up around these units, mainly from Russia. They have managed to root them and customise them to a certain extent. I will be looking into this more extensively over the coming weeks/months as I have time and report back if there is interest from the forum.[/img]

Last edited by Gerd1986 on Fri Oct 19 2018 8:35am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #567180 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:00pm
james5599

United Kingdom 

This thread is worthless without phots. 2019 Svr and 2019 R35 GTR

Post #567181 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:15pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes - we need photos please

Post #567183 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:22pm
Gerd1986

I'm currently getting an error when uploading photos:

"Error retrieving album data"

When I figure it out you will get photos Thumbs Up

Post #567184 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:24pm
Gerd1986

Some photo's added, I will add more this evening and hopefully a video.

Post #567185 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:42pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Clever stuff Cool Can you do Full fat digital dash too Whistle Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #567186 Wed Oct 17 2018 1:52pm
Gerd1986

I have looked at that Buckster but the Russians were insistent that I needed to take the car to Russia to get it done. Maybe I will have another stab at it in the future.

Post #567188 Wed Oct 17 2018 2:09pm
Buckster

I believe someone over on the disco forum is playing around with it, will see if i can find the link for you as he seems very open to sharing his knowledge mate Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #567190 Wed Oct 17 2018 2:19pm
Gerd1986

Quote:

I believe someone over on the disco forum is playing around with it, will see if i can find the link for you as he seems very open to sharing his knowledge mate Thumbs Up

Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely going to try it, posted to James to try and get some info.

Post #567198 Wed Oct 17 2018 4:47pm
Gerd1986

Ordered cluster and in contact with James who is going to help me out, will keep you posted Thumbs Up

Post #567219 Thu Oct 18 2018 8:19am
Buckster

Awesome, hope you can figure it out mate. The Russians seem to have it sorted Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

Post #567226 Thu Oct 18 2018 10:03am
Gerd1986

Full set of pitures are up now, rotate not working

Post #567262 Fri Oct 19 2018 9:12am
mrluke

United Kingdom 

How you getting on with this and the making of the trim pieces.

Have you considered some one making them in carbon fiber ?

Post #568368 Tue Nov 06 2018 8:49am
Gerd1986

Hi MrLuke,

I have had some teething issues, mainly because it's not made for the UK market. Saying this the seller has been extremely helpful and provided an updated operating system for the until which I need to test which hopefully will resolve them.

In regards to the fascia, I have explored many avenues but in short most companies including 3D printing and making a custom fascia are looking for more than the unit is worth. Therefore I am using the ends of the LHD ones as templates to create the ends for the RHD one I have cut to fit,I'm then going to fill in the gap with filler. I have ordered a fiber glass kit to then create a mould of this which I can then use to create a carbon fiber version etc.

Overall though, I love the unit and so does the wife, having access to Spotify, Waze, ACP and AA is fantastic, while still keeping all the original functionality including 4x4info and rear screen entertainment.

Although I am now looking to tap into the car's DAB and GPS signal so I don't need separate antennas.

Any questions feel free to ask, otherwise I will keep you posted once the mould is made.

Post #568369 Tue Nov 06 2018 9:04am
mrluke

United Kingdom 

Sounds great, if you need access to a company that can make them in carbon for you

http://lmcorse.geniashop.biz/

He made a lot of my lotus parts ( my pics are use on hes website ) . he can do custom fabrications, might be a minimum order number but ill buy a set if you decide to go that route Wink

Post #568372 Tue Nov 06 2018 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>