RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Unauthorised Entry - Possible use of key?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Netsters

England 
Unauthorised Entry - Possible use of key?

Hi all, came back to my car this morning, to find the glove box and cubby box open on my keyless entry my16 RRS.
There is a high likelihood that the car was left unlocked from the day before as I had a lot of stuff in my hands when leaving the car a couple of days before SO perhaps didn't blip the remote and the opportunist would be thief just got lucky.

There was no damage and very little was taken, some change and they lucked out as I had a 4g wifi device in the cubby, so I actually do hope that it was just a simple as the car being unlocked.

My only concern is that cover on the door handle which covers the physical key lock, came off very easily when I checked without using a tool, but when back on with no problems and is secure, which does make me wonder a bit if some sort of master key was used to gain entry.

3 points.

1. Has anyone has a similar possibly unexplained entry experience, especially in S.W. London recently?
2. if the car was locked and alarmed, and someone gained entry using a key blade, would this trigger the alarm/incontrol cenrtre (I called them to check and they were unsure).

3. Lock your doors! (Err No Sh@t sherlock). It will be no surprise that opportunist try the doors of new cars just as a matter of course to see if they get lucky.

The only thing is that this was only for one night, my car is parked on a private forecourt with no through access and was quite some way from the road, so quite a small window of opportunity for someone to chance upon it, which might indicate there is a scoat with some sort of entry tool floating around.

FYI the sim that was in the wifi device is still active and rings, which means they have put this in phone. About to block it, but does anyone know if there is a way to locate a sim? Range Rover Sport SVR - Santorini Black
Range Rover Sport Autobiography 2016 Yulong White / black interior - Stealth pack
Ferrari 360 F1 Spider red/cream
Ferrari 348 ts red/cream
BMW M4 Convertible Competion Pack

Post #513781 Sat Jan 07 2017 5:02pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Can't answer the questions, but should add that it's always best to lock by touch and not the remote (which can be snooped/blocked). 

Post #513791 Sat Jan 07 2017 7:31pm
Netsters

England 

Good point, i can't remember but does the touch double lock as standard? Range Rover Sport SVR - Santorini Black
Range Rover Sport Autobiography 2016 Yulong White / black interior - Stealth pack
Ferrari 348 ts red/cream

Post #513797 Sat Jan 07 2017 8:09pm
hafman

United Kingdom 

On my MY15 I have to touch the door knob twice (rapidly) to double lock. Would be good if I could change it to one tap, as it can be difficult to tap twice quickly enough. Embarassed

Post #513799 Sat Jan 07 2017 8:21pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

Hi,
I have read/seen somewhere that scrotes are now operating in car park areas and use a device which sits under the door handle so when you lock your car the door they use this device does not lock. They pull the handle and then put this device under it so the handle doesn't return to its fully " home" position. Yes, I know that when you set the alarm the car will sound to tell you there is a door left open but in this instance you may have forgotten to blip it and the door was open all the time. They will sneak up as you pull up and getting out of drivers side they will secure this device on passenger side so you don't see them. This could explain why the handle was damaged???
I'm really sorry to hear about this, I'm so paranoid I never use the blip on the keyfob but only with touch,double lock and I always put my keys in a signal blocker pouch so it can't be cloned. It maybe worth asking if there was any cctv in the area that might pick up the wasters that attacked your car. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #513807 Sat Jan 07 2017 9:03pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have no problem with the double touch, there is plenty of time to do it and you can see immediately if you have by watching the indicators light flash after the second tap. After the first tap the mirrors fold up. If Tyne door isn't locked then you won't het any flashes but you should get the fault / door not closed diffent pitch, rapid double beep. I now never use the key fob buttons other than to open the tailgate if I have to get into the boot.
Embarassed Embarassed This morning when I went out to the car I found the wing mirrors unfolded.............. appears that I had gotgotten to lock up after being distracted after moving the car on my drive.............. worse I also found my house front door had been left unlocked overnight, but I do live out in the sticks and not in the suburbs.

Regarding the SIM, can you not use something like "Find my iPhone app" to trace the phone using it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #513811 Sat Jan 07 2017 9:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Netsters

England 

Thanks guys, fortunately on this occasion there was no damage, other than the couple of items taken. I actually hope that is it a case of my forgetting to lock the car up after getting in the house as that is easily remedied as opposed to someone having a way into the car.

Keen to know if anyone has has a similar unexplained entry experience in recent times/areas and info on the alarm trigger thing if door is opened with key but no fob present.

Also I am guessing an Autobiography with its wings mirrors out serves a flag that the car is likely to be unlocked?

Side point, the range on the remote controls ridiculously long. Very handy in some cases so not a complaint, but all took easy for an accidental key press if the keys are in a drawer etc.

I would have thought (request to JLR) that it would be a really easy addition to Remote app to ping you a message if the car has been unlocked for an unusual amount of time and at an unusual time. Currently you have to initiate the check, but a simple option to ping to a message after say 10 minutes of vehicle activity "Your RR is unlocked (Lock/Or Cancel) would be properly handy.

Same thing for the tailgate, this is quite easy to accidentally trigger in the key drawer scenario as well.

I know best thing is to be very careful in the first instance, but it would be an easy add in to the app as a failsafe. Range Rover Sport SVR - Santorini Black
Ferrari 348 ts red/cream

Post #513825 Sat Jan 07 2017 11:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Nesters you have a PM! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #513835 Sun Jan 08 2017 9:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SVR575

United Kingdom 

If you closed the car but did not lock it and then after a short while someone went to open the door without key the alarm would still go off would it not? This happens on my 11mdl.
Regarding the long distance remote, if the door was not opened it will relock in a short period of time. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #513838 Sun Jan 08 2017 10:36am
ME13OSE

United Kingdom 

Hi guys, first post. I pick up my first RRS in a few days, buying off a friend so not new, but new to me. I've been looking into some of the issues with these vehicles to do with security etc and it seems that there is a hand held amplifier that can be used to fool the vehicle into thinking that the key, which is safely tucked away in your house is actually right next to the vehicle. This doesn't work like a master key so if your keys are miles away then they can't mimic the key, but as most peoples keys are only yards away from the cars then basically this device picks up on the signal and makes it louder, they touch the car and it unlocks.

Not sure if this is the case here but worth mentioning.

Melrose.

Post #514446 Sat Jan 14 2017 3:41pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Welcome and looking forward to seeing some photos.

The amplifier story was from a few years ago I think, and bogus.

ETA: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/1...not-exist/ 

Post #514448 Sat Jan 14 2017 4:28pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

My keys are kept in a metal box when not in use, just in case! MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #514450 Sat Jan 14 2017 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1