RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Dash temp sensor still not working.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

GAVBEY

United Kingdom 
Dash temp sensor still not working.

Hi guys.

Bought myself a rangie. Baby engine 2.7. 2006

Engine temp on dash dosnt work. I've replaced the oil temp sensor on the sump and the coolant temp sensor on the hose near the inlet.

Is there another temp sensor for coolant??

I connected my laptop and RSW software but I'd can't read live data and it isn't bringing up any temp fault codes. ?

Where is this ect sensor? Is there two?

Look forward to any reply.

Gav

Post #490429 Wed Mar 09 2016 12:50am
flack

The ambient sensor is behind the front grill on the lower cross member, you have to stick your hand down between the cross member and the air con rad to find it.

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/rang...locations/

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #490465 Wed Mar 09 2016 11:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GAVBEY

United Kingdom 

The external temp works fine.

It's the actual engine temp that dosnt work.

Are they all joined together? Cables look fine also.

Post #490472 Wed Mar 09 2016 3:40pm
flack

It could be your Instrument pack that is at fault then, you need to check the wire's out to see if there is any breaks anywhere.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #490474 Wed Mar 09 2016 4:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Quote:
Engine temp on dash doesn't work. I've replaced the oil temp sensor on the sump and the coolant temp sensor on the hose near the inlet.

Is there another temp sensor for coolant??

Had a look at the workshop manual for you and it seems there is only one Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (ECT). See the extract in gallery here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...script.pdf

If your engine is running well and the viscous fan is not running all the time then the signal to the ECU is probably good and as Flack suggests it all points to a fault with the instrument or the wiring. Unfortunately my copy of the workshop manual doesn't include any instructions for removal of the instrument pack. Hopefully someone else can chip in with some hints on that? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #490475 Wed Mar 09 2016 5:21pm
GAVBEY

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the help guys.

I think it could be running fine as it dose hold a decent temp and I'm circa 28average mpg. Also when it's cold the auto box holds higher revs to warm the engine up faster and after a while it goes to normal.

Hmm instrument pack. As in the clocks? Are they all coded to eachother?

I had a look for damaged cables today in the engine bay. Took out my battery and checked all the connections of the ecus behind them. Everything seems fine apart from this dam temp sensor.

I have rsw software 4d can for reading the car but it can't read live data. Just read and clear faults. This temp fault isn't logged. And when I look at the sensors they show -40 because it won't communicate with it.

Thanks again guys.

Post #490511 Thu Mar 10 2016 1:13am
Paddi

Here is a bit more information about the Coolant Temp Gauge from the manual:

Engine Coolant Temperature Gage
The engine coolant temperature gage displays the engine coolant temperature to the driver. When the ignition is off the pointer needle returns to the cold position.
The engine coolant temperature sensor is connected to the ECM which monitors the sensor signals and converts the signals into a value for the engine coolant temperature. This information is transmitted on the high speed CAN for use by the instrument cluster and other systems. For additional information, refer to:
Electronic Engine Controls (303-14A Electronic Engine Controls - V8 S/C 4.2L Petrol, Description and Operation),
Electronic Engine Controls (303-14B Electronic Engine Controls - V8 4.4L Petrol, Description and Operation),
Electronic Engine Controls (303-14C Electronic Engine Controls - TDV6 2.7L Diesel, Description and Operation).
The engine coolant temperature gage is the same on all pack variants. The gage has a blue segment for low temperatures and a red segment for excessively high temperatures. For normal operating temperatures the gage needle pointer is positioned centrally in the gage display zone.

And good news - found the instructions for accessing the Instrument Cluster:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...emoval.pdf

and to remove headlamp switch (as mentioned in above)
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...emoval.pdf

Hope that might be some help - with luck there might just be a loose connector or a dry joint in there causing your problem? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #490554 Thu Mar 10 2016 7:02pm
GAVBEY

United Kingdom 

Now that is some reply. Thank you very much for that.

Is it possible to swap clocks? I don't have a CD player or the screen as I'm just an se model. My clocks are also in kmh.

I'd like to see if that fixes is. Or maybe even check the plugs at the back.

Other problems are steering wheel Buttons don't work. But I think that's the rotor coupling. So that will be getting done.

Then there's the epb. God don't ya just love these motors.

I'll keep everyone updated on what I find.

Post #490570 Thu Mar 10 2016 8:55pm
Paddi

Pure speculation - but as the instrument pack is listed as a module and is connected to the CAN system it probably needs coding to the car which makes swopping the whole unit problematic?

How about contacting these guys (as featured on 'Wheeler Dealers")? They could even modify your kph dials to mph Thumbs Up

http://www.clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

The instructions for the dash removal include the rotary coupling/clockspring so two birds with one stone Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #490617 Fri Mar 11 2016 2:59pm
GAVBEY

United Kingdom 

still havnt got to the botom of this. im considering buying a new cluster / speedo.

the engine knows its up to temp as the auto gearbox holds its revs high when cold then when it warms up the revs drop.

also when i conect RSW solutions i cant read any live data... thinking that has somthign to do with the clocks.

cheers

Post #491261 Sat Mar 19 2016 7:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1