RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New V8 diesel for Range Rover Sport in Autocar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
New V8 diesel for Range Rover Sport in Autocar

In Autocar this week there is an article on a new V8 diesel that is being tested for the Range Rover Sport, due for volume production in November. How do you think this will fit in with the current range ? and will the 2.7 diesel be dropped .
Nick.

Post #146 Tue Jun 07 2005 8:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Nick,
Havent seen the mag,
Could you tell us more Question Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #148 Tue Jun 07 2005 9:48pm
nickp

Hi Biggles
Its in this weeks Autocar 7th June. There is a big Landrover special talking about a new small Land Rover and the new Freelander . There are two pictures of a RRS testing with the new V8 diesel. I have a TDV6 on order and now wonder if this new V8 diesel will replace the TDV6 or fit in higher up the range ?

Post #149 Tue Jun 07 2005 10:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer

United Kingdom 

When the Disco3 first came out there was rumours that a TDV8 engine was to follow in a few years, I guess this is that very engine. I doubt they'll drop the TDV6, probably make them both available.

The 8 will no doubt be a bit more powerful all round but at the expense of worse fuel consumption. Assuming it's fairly much the same engine with two more cylinders it'll be a 3.6 litre, it's about time LR made a bigger diesel engine as available in the past they seem to have always gone for big petrol lumps but smaller diesel ones. Admittedly there's plenty of torque in the diesels but occasionally it'd be nice to have a bit more power nearer the top end without having to remortage to run a petrol Landy

Post #151 Tue Jun 07 2005 11:53pm
nickp

The article states that it a brand new 3.6 litre V8 to be built at Ford's Dagenham plant . It has a new cutting edge diesel design to reduce emissions and improve on fuel ecconomy .

Post #152 Wed Jun 08 2005 12:08am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I bet it goes into the Range Rover first and then into the D3 in time for the 1st facelift and to take D3 more "upmarket" as seems to be LR policy with models. Don't forget that the TD6 RR is the odd man out in the bigger Landy ranges as it still has a BMW engine and less powerful and cruder than a TDv6. Aslo bearing mind that the press loved the D3 and RR but slated the TD6 as being vocal and not powerful enough and the TDv6 in D3 as not powerful enough for such a heavy vehicle.
This also means that the next Freelander can be bigger than present and could be the basis for the next Defender. Freelander3 is also slated to be 5 door only, which will allow a "baby" Freelander "fun" 3 door car or a Defender replacement to slot in at the bottom of the range.

Will have to go to town now and get a copy of Autocar............. hopefully at the same time as collecting my RRS....

Post #157 Wed Jun 08 2005 8:58am
grommet

United States 

The next-generation diesel is intended be capable of using the environmentally friendly "clean diesel" fuel that we get starting in 2007 in North America. It was always expected to be a "more powerful" V8 for us power thirsty types, with possible availability in 2007 or 2008. The current V6 diesels can't pass the emission laws in (at least) California and New York... so we're totally without diesel for now.

I'd expect both diesels to co-exist in the UK and beyond when/if the new diesel engine is finally introduced... but I wouldn't expect it for the 2006 model year.

Last edited by grommet on Thu Jun 09 2005 1:20am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #177 Wed Jun 08 2005 11:04pm
Tim in Scotland

I can scan the items in Autocar if anybody wants them in a PM/email

Post #178 Wed Jun 08 2005 11:20pm
Renny

Scotland 

Heres the text from the Autocar Website

Quote:
The mighty Range Rover and Range Rover Sport aren’t being ignored either. Our spies spotted a development car powered by an all-new 3.6-litre V8 turbodiesel, to be built at Ford’s Dagenham plant. It’s thought that the engine will be good for around 250bhp and well over 400lb ft of torque.

Volume production should begin in November and around 35,000 engines should be made in a full year. It’s expected to be fitted to the Range Rover Sport later this year and the Range Rover in 2006. Ford is at the cutting edge of diesel engine design with this engine’s block, which is made from Compacted Graphite Iron (GGI). Industry experts say that as the massive fuel injection pressures found in modern diesel engines increase even further, CGI will also be used for cylinder heads instead of aluminium.

A Range Rover with hybrid power is also being planned to offset the criticisms of anti-4x4 campaigners, a top-level Land Rover source has revealed. The favoured option is a diesel/electric system, If it’s signed off soon the hybrid could be in the showrooms by 2009.

Not too sure about the hybrid, but a V8 with half decent fuel consumption will be good news. I've had a couple of V8 Rangies in the past but the fuel consumption was always a sore point. Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #180 Thu Jun 09 2005 11:45am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Mag scans here thanks to Tim: http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

Martin

Post #181 Thu Jun 09 2005 11:54am
nickp

Have been in to a Landrover Dealer and they are not aware of any new engine ???We seem to know more than they do ?? My concern is the TDV6 is not Euro IV compliant and am not sure on the legislation from Jan 2006 on emissions. Will Landrover be able to sell the TDV6 after Jan 2006 or could they change it for this new engine . Does anybody have more information ?

Post #182 Thu Jun 09 2005 12:20pm
Tim in Scotland

nickp wrote:
Have been in to a Landrover Dealer and they are not aware of any new engine ???We seem to know more than they do ?? My concern is the TDV6 is not Euro IV compliant and am not sure on the legislation from Jan 2006 on emissions. Will Landrover be able to sell the TDV6 after Jan 2006 or could they change it for this new engine . Does anybody have more information ?

Nick last night when I took the magazine over with me when I collected the RRS the dealer here was not aware of it either - said that frequently the first they get to know is when the new brochures come their way!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Jun 10 2005 9:07am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #183 Thu Jun 09 2005 4:26pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Nick

According to my dealer here in Switzerland the TDV6 definitely is Euro 4 compliant.

However in Switzerland and Germany as well as in some other countries, cars equipped with a diesel particle filter (I am not sure if that's the correct technical name) will become mandatory for new diesel cars and road tax allowances will be granted. The new M-class, BMWs and some other makes do already come with a filter as standard but Land Rover are slow as usual and no date has been set yet.

Actually I will just have to wait with placing an order for a new HSE TDV6 until LR can confirm that the car will arrive with the filter...... truth is it's more my wife who would not allow me to buy one without it !

Roland

Post #195 Fri Jun 10 2005 6:09am
MDP

United Kingdom 
Re: New V8 diesel for Range Rover Sport in Autocar

From May 05

nickp wrote:
In Autocar this week there is an article on a new V8 diesel that is being tested for the Range Rover Sport, due for volume production in November. How do you think this will fit in with the current range ? and will the 2.7 diesel be dropped .
Nick.

For those who may not have seen this weeks edition of Autocar ( 19/10/05 ), there is yet another story/article on this subject. V8 diesel being tested in RRS and RR

Sorry ... here it is now

" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Wed Oct 19 2005 2:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #3576 Wed Oct 19 2005 12:49pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Anything more solid re timelines etc? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #3577 Wed Oct 19 2005 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>