RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New V8 diesel for Range Rover Sport in Autocar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

As I understand it the RRS is already engineered to take the new Ford 3.6 twin-turbo V8 diesel, so I guess it'll be available for 2007 model year cars (would this mean mid-06 launch?). It won't replace the TDV6 and will sit higher up the model range. I thought about holding out for the 3.6 before buying the current one but just couldn't stand the extra wait! Wink

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #3580 Wed Oct 19 2005 1:57pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

I had no idea about this engine and didn't read about it anywhere before my purchase. I did buy the car quite quickly when i was offered the demo, but i did try and do a little bit of research. I can't believe they have let slip already that they are going to be introducing a new diesel engine to the range, when the residuals are doing so well on the RRS so far..

To be honest i might have waited round for the V8 model if i had known, but thinking about it, if we get our orders down now, we may beable to have the new kid on the block very early on, and still get good money for the TDV6's if we jump ship at the right time..

Not very impressive figures though for a 3.6 V8, only 250bhp? we can chip ours and achieve near enough the same power, will there be anyother additions to the bigger brother that may justify the predicted £52500 price tag (my estimation..) what are everyone elses thoughts/ findings?

Yes i am a bloody accountant, and yes i am a tight arse, so hate loosing money on cars!!

Post #3586 Wed Oct 19 2005 3:02pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I just wonder when you take into account the cost to change so soon....... is it worth it... you never get what you paid for it, always some excuse why you are only being offered a pittance, then theres the wait????? etc etc.

However... I take your point on power, but whats stopping this new engine having the TC treatment and obtaining even more power Shocked if possible?

Think i would sooner wait and see the end result. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #3588 Wed Oct 19 2005 3:27pm
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

sorry guys - have known about this for some months but was kind of duty-bound to keep it schtumm until it became public... I still bought a 2.7..!

Kam your idea of sticking a deposit down on a 3.6 is a great idea, might just follow you. I reckon the resids on a good-spec 2.7 should be fine by mid next-year?

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #3590 Wed Oct 19 2005 3:42pm
Pelyma

England 

noddy wrote:
sorry guys - have known about this for some months but was kind of duty-bound to keep it schtumm until it became public... I still bought a 2.7..!

Nod

Why? Carspyshots reckon that the Freelander will get a 2.4 diesel developing 185bhp, But I think LR will have to be careful that this isn't more sporty than the RRS as I guess a 185 bhp Freelander would be the fastest LR diesel, which I presume is an accolade they wish to keep for RRS.

The V8 diesel has been going out to the continent testing for some time, I guess to the Nuremburgring. I'm not sure D3 will get the engine though, but with its weight needs it most.

Post #3592 Wed Oct 19 2005 4:28pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Residuals on a Supercharged would be even better too I imagine!

I am pleased they are making a bigger diesel but for heavens sake, why don't they make one with a decent power output? They should be aiming for a V8 petrol comparison power, at least 300bhp.
I'd consider the cost to change IF it was worth it, but only 250bhp? Forget it. I know you could then get it chipped (within the 1st year possibly) but that's not the point.

Come on Landrover, make a big diesel that will scare the socks off BMW! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3593 Wed Oct 19 2005 4:44pm
hokoyo

Australia 

My dealer here tells me that the V8 diesel will be coming out next year in the RR and not the RRS. There again he is trying to sell me a car now and not next year! Smile

Post #3634 Thu Oct 20 2005 3:29am
RRfan

Scotland 

My reading of the situation concerning the V8 is that the current 3.0 diesel in the RR is not Euro IV compliant as fitted so that is why there is the rush to get the new V8 out next month.
In addition though the RRS is designed to take this V8 it will not be available till 2007 model year as it will clearly impact the petrol V8 sales and will be offered at a (substantial) premium to the current V6.

Personnally, I think the V8 petrol will all but disappear with both diesels being offered in the RRS with the larger V8 offered in the RR. As already pointed out the chipped V6 offers comparable perfromance to the V8 (both petrol and new diesel) so it is clear why it was de-rated for the RRS as fitted.

Also, casting a eye across the pond to our colonial cousins (only joking!), diesels may start to be offered in the US and the V8 would make an excellent entry engine there since it should be as brilliant as the current V6 for noise and vibration. RRSprt HSE TDV6 - Artic Frost, Tow pack, Privacy glass.

Previous 10 yrs with P38 JE Engineered, coil sprung DT
Previous 10 yrs Classic V8 Supercharged

Post #3653 Thu Oct 20 2005 10:32am
RRUK

RRfan wrote:

Personnally, I think the V8 petrol will all but disappear with both diesels being offered in the RRS with the larger V8 offered in the RR.

That means the Supercharged will be VERY sought after then...cool! Cool Laughing Very Happy Cool L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3666 Thu Oct 20 2005 12:32pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

RRfan

Also the current TDV6 engine is not Euro IV compliant so will this mean that this can't be sold after Dec 2005 ? I am not sure of the legislation .

Post #3676 Thu Oct 20 2005 1:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

We've already seen the engine specs and there may be a 'test mule' doing the rounds in the UK from January onwards.

From what I know this engine is aimed primarily at the RRSport and new forthcoming Range Rover.

There will also be a 3.0 version of the TDV6 which will go in both the Disco3 and RR Sport.

The engines are all euro 4 and euro 5 (its a simple software change) compliant.

We will be able to uprate these engines as soon as they are released as the engine control unit is the same as present Wink

Post #3682 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:06pm
nickp

Turbochip

Appreciate the reply , can the current TDV6 engine be upgraded to Euro IV compliance , and is it true that it can't be sold in its current form after Dec 2005?

Post #3687 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Nick

From what I understand there will be not be any opportunity to upgrade current cars but from our experience with truck engines it will be technically possible to update a euro 3 ecu to euro 4 specification.

I see no reason why the 2.7 engine cannot continue beyond December but it may that extra capacity is needed to achieve euro 4 without losing too much low down torque i.e Introducing the 3.0 and phasing out the 2.7

BMW did exactly the same with there Common Rail 2.0 diesel engine released in 2002 that was already euro 3 compliant and it has now 'miraculously' become euro 4. The ecu is the same, there has been a mod to the MAF sensor and the common rail pressure is slightly higher.

Post #3689 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:52pm
RRUK

Guys,

Sorry for being thick here but what is all the Euro compliance about and what does it matter if you buy a car that is not Euro 4 compliant?

Do you get arrested if you drive it in France or do they just throw soft cheese at you? Confused L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3691 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:59pm
nickp

Turbochip

Thanks for the update . I have been asking about Euro IV and the new V8 diesel since I ordered my car , but Landrover could provide no information. even though I could show them articles written in the press ! I guess we have to wait for the official announcement from them.

Post #3692 Thu Oct 20 2005 5:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>