RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 15 <123 456 ... 131415>

MAC

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

VOR - I am pleased to say the DP did contact me today and appeared sympathetic. However when I said the noise is unacceptable and could not accept the vehicle in its present form I had the distinct impression that he would not do anything further.

I am trying another HSE MY07 for 2 days on Monday from my dealer so will be able to make a comparison which should be interesting one way or the other. I still want to know how LR or the dealers quantify the noise as LR have not tried my vehicle and my dealer has not heard it in any other RRS's.

Post #70577 Wed Dec 13 2006 11:12pm
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

MAC

To be honest whilst its not a fault the dealer can't do anything further as there are no legal grounds for rejection.

Glad you had contact though, hopefully it helps provide some comfort if nothing else.

In my experience people don't succeed when they believe they are bigger than the system and can demand to circumnavigate the system through their own perceived self importance ( we are all guilty of it at some point including myself), they nearly always fail.

The one's that succeed are the ones that form a good relationship with the dealer and go with the flow of the system applying some additional leverage to Customer care where the dealer recommends it. All in all it can be a longer journey but also a more fruitful one in the end.

Regards

VOR

Post #70579 Wed Dec 13 2006 11:25pm
MAC

VOR - Just one question - do you own an RRS which has this noise or have you actually driven one to appreciate the problem?

Post #70580 Thu Dec 14 2006 12:10am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

VOR

Only just read this evenings posts on this subject and so glad you have returned as I'm sure everyone concerned values your input.

One point I'm not clear on is your statement:-

"Honestly though the problem as I see it is that in hindsight dealers should have been made aware prior to model launch so that customers could have used the additional information to form part of their buying decision"

I am just about to place an order. The 2007 demo RRS I drove over rough roads did not emit this sound, so even if the dealer tells me it might make a knocking noise (which through readiing all these recent posts I am now aware of) how am I to know whether I will find this noise acceptable or not without actually having heard it? Confused

Post #70581 Thu Dec 14 2006 12:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The doc

United Kingdom 

"In my experience people don't succeed when they believe they are bigger than the system and can demand to circumnavigate the system through their own perceived self importance ( we are all guilty of it at some point including myself), they nearly always fail."

We are the system mate.

Post #70584 Thu Dec 14 2006 12:40am
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

MAC

yes I have driven several RRS with and without DSC and heard the noise

DOC

you misunderstand, yes in a retail environment the customer is the sole purpose or fuel to the fire, how ever as with all things human it has to be organised, to handle high volume, if there is a perfectly good system there to deal with something why try and jump over it, at least attempt to understand it and work it to your advantage first.

Imagine taking a walk through the country to come across a fence with a style, you can either

a: use the style as it was intended

b: shout loudly "styles are for wimps" whilst attempting to vault the fence, you may make it or you may fall flat on your face

RRSJO, your point is completely valid, but at least you know what you might expect and have the opportunity of trying one over different surfaces before buying

VOR

Post #70585 Thu Dec 14 2006 1:03am
The doc

United Kingdom 

VOR

LR is saying "characteristic of the vehicle" the result of this is that we're F11cked and told to put up or shut up.

Hence were Censored off...

Once you understand this you can move on - with us.

We understand your explanation but that does not mean that the noise is any more acceptable.

I totally understand due process - many here have gone through it to be told "sorry but..." If we don’t talk about it here and try to fix it we end up with x5's, ml's or Gl's etc it's as simple as that.

I'm meeting up with some other RRS owners over the next few days to compare noises so I'll let you all know how that goes!

Land Rover UK

Now LR get off your high horse, bare in mind that massive 3bn dollar debt that you and your parent company’s are sitting on and try to help please as we are your loyal customers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We're ALL listening and no doubt will be acting on what you say - I for one will be calling back to my local LR garage in the morning and ensuring that the EPQR has been entered regarding my car.

I find your comments mostly useful but sometimes antagonistic also, but hey ho wheres the fun in using the style all of the time - lets just try to get on Wink

So lets draw a line in the sand and lets try to work together to fix the problem...that isn't there!

Post #70586 Thu Dec 14 2006 1:30am
Lateral5

Australia 

Great banter guys! Finally, some interesting discussion and representation from the "other side". VOR welcome to the forum and thanks for your balanced input, it is valued and please don't get offended by some of the apparent antagonism....for some of us, it is merely the opportunity to vent months of pent up frustration!

If I may put a few points forward (without taking aim at anyone on the forum!);

1) I have owned a BMW, an Audi and now a RRS. Can I say, that the technology in my previous cars was certainly not boring. BMW are reknowned for the almost perfect weight distribution in the 3 series and the 6 cylinder engines are smooth as silk. The Audi TT Quattro was also great drive. My point is thes cars do not rely on cutting edge technology to deliver their dynamics, just good old tried and tested engineering refinement over years.

2) I am all for technology, it's the way we advance. But leave it to NASA and F-1 teams to develop before unleashing on the motoring plebiscite! In some cases, new technology in the RRS has been downright dangerous....take the case of early RRS models cutting out at highway speeds. Technology needs to be almost bulletproof before making it publicly available.

3) I think we all accept that things go wrong with new models, it's the way they are dealt with that matters. Being told that something is a "characteristic of the vehicle and is normal" when clearly it should not be is insulting.

4) Do I think paying $90K for a car should afford me a better quality car with fewer problems? Damn right I do! I can pay $40k and buy a car with a fair whack of the technology I have in the RRS. It is simply not good enough these days for a car manufacturer to rely on it's marque to pull it through. My car has been back at the dealer for almost 40 days in the 7 months I have owned it and I am hearing similar stories on this forum.....not good enough

5) I don't have DR so can't comment on the knock!

6) Problem aside, I love driving my RRS, just wish it spent more time on the road! Guess it may just be a problem child Laughing RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #70589 Thu Dec 14 2006 3:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The doc

United Kingdom 

"Great banter guys! Finally, some interesting discussion and representation from the "other side". "

Spot on! Wink

Post #70608 Thu Dec 14 2006 10:34am
The doc

United Kingdom 

"ARC or Active Roll Control is a major innovation in road safety devices and handling technology, no longer must we make do with suspension that is balanced between handling and comfort, now we can have both. a dynamic system that is constantly changing according to driver demand and road conditions. a system that can flick at a milliseconds notice from soft comfort to "no ! I wont let you roll this car mode", allows Granny to ride in comfort in the back on the way to the airport and then allows the driver some real fun on the way back home.

the cost, being a minor hydraulic fluid knock, a simple rule of basic physics, providing driver reassurance that the system is working to it's full potential. "

Funny that, I thought the the cost was somewhere in the 47k...

Post #70632 Thu Dec 14 2006 11:31am
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

the voice of reason wrote:
MAC

if there is a perfectly good system there to deal with something why try and jump over it, at least attempt to understand it and work it to your advantage first.

VOR

VOR - have you ever tried dealing with Land Rover Customer Services? they were the biggest shower of sh*t I have ever come across. Without trying to jump over/ around/ underneath it, NOTHING would have been done.. even when they SEEMED to be helping, NOTHING WAS DONE!

My father held a Land Rover franchise for 25 years, of which I worked within the dealership for 10 - many on this forum already know the system inside out and, to be honest, it sucks.

We just want a fix for this. No more, no less.

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #70644 Thu Dec 14 2006 12:38pm
rrsjo

Steady on Noddy. We don't want to frighten VOR off. Without VOR we are all back to ground zero.

Like VOR has previously stated "Don't bite off the hand that is trying to feed you!"

Jo

Post #70646 Thu Dec 14 2006 1:11pm
MAC

obviously VOR is not a disgruntaled owner suffering from the suspension noise issue. The comments relating to "circumnavigating the system through self importance" I must take exception to.

To date the "system" is not resolving the problem. Both LR and the dealer abdicte responsibility. LR state it is a design feature and they are not interested in taking it any further, if I wish to reject the vehicle I must take it up with the dealer. The dealer gives me a copy of the technical bulletin and basically states that absolves him of responsibility.

I did mention the term customer satisfaction to both parties but that does not seem to enter into the equation.

Post #70659 Thu Dec 14 2006 2:02pm
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

rrsjo wrote:
Steady on Noddy. We don't want to frighten VOR off. Without VOR we are all back to ground zero.

Like VOR has previously stated "Don't bite off the hand that is trying to feed you!"

Jo

OK OK - maybe I'm being a little abrasive, if so I apologise. This is not a personal gripe against anyone, if my comments on this forum are taken as such then that is certainly not my intention.

But I'm just telling it how it is. MAC is absolutely right - we've paid the thick end of £50k each for a sub-standard product, and nobody wants to accept that there is a problem nor try to offer a solution or any kind of redress.

Here is how the "system" works:
1. You have a problem the dealer can't find/ fix.
2. They call in the regional engineer from the manufacturer. Once you've gone past the dealer network, regardless of the quality of your relationship with them and regardless of whether they have the ability to apply leverage, you're into LR Customer Services territory.
3. Once there, you're ringfenced from the issue - they are hard to get hold of, rarely answer calls (voicemail is heavily used), and rarely call back when they promise to.
4. LR CS won't let you talk to the engineers, and they don't give you feedback on what's going on.

Remember my car has already been back to the factory for a month to resolve this issue - all I got were two new anti-roll bar bushes fitted, no feedback/ information and eventually a letter to say the knocking was "representative". The suggestion of LR was that I go to the SMMT if my opinion still differed from theirs on the issues, I'm sorry but that just isn't good enough.

If VOR doesn't have this kind of exposure to LR CS, then perhaps saying there is a "perfectly good system" to deal with issues is somewhat wide of the mark??

If LR think this is going to go away, they should think again. There are now enough of us (lots of little guys together = one big noise) and we're gaining in strength and momentum. There is a story in the bible - David & Goliath..?

If LR want to silence us again (as a group this time, not as individuals), they have to show themselves as ready to open up negotiations or we will continue to escalate this.

Think about it this way - if this happened to Mr Clarkson, shortly before he wrote one of his famous Sunday Times rants, don't you think it would be dealt with differently by the manufacturer?

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #70701 Thu Dec 14 2006 3:19pm
rrsjo

Well said Noddy!

If what VOR says regarding LR officials watching this site is true, then perhaps they are beginning to get the message that this particular problem is not one of those isolated customer 'minor irritations' that probably bug them all the time.

This is a serious quality problem that is not going to go away and hence will only gather momentum as time goes on. Therefore the sooner the news reaches the right person at LR who has the authority to authorise some corrective action the easier it will be for everyone. That is LR, existing customers and future customers Exclamation

As VOR states this must be done politely but firmly

Jo

Post #70726 Thu Dec 14 2006 3:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 15 <123 456 ... 131415>