RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Hmm... not going very well lately is it? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #70155 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:05pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Mac, how long have you had your car m8?

Post #70161 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:10pm
MAC

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

DOC - I have had the car since early October and the suspension noise was one of a number of issues reported within the first two weeks.

Post #70169 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:25pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

FFS Evil or Very Mad

Post #70188 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:52pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

I'll keep you posted Wink

Post #70319 Tue Dec 12 2006 12:16am
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

Don't want to rock the boat here......but......

Firstly we have to ask why we bought a sport? if it was for the ride comfort, ultimate luxury, low cabin noise etc then sorry guys you bought the wrong model (should of spent the extra on a Range Rover)?

If however you are willing to sacrifice some of the above for, pure grunt, and excellent handling, packaged with aggressive looks then you chose right and the sport is for you.

A few facts

1. all cars make all sorts of noises, some cars are better than others at masking that noise from cabin occupants, but regardless they still make the noises

2. nobody can fix a fault that is not a fault

3. that knocking noise you ask? you mean you don't hear a similar noise on your BMW/AUDI, well hell thats because they play safe using outdated technology whilst My RRS is cutting edge (admittedly sometimes bleeding edge) but hey thats part of the Land Rover charm/ owner experience!

ARC or Active Roll Control is a major innovation in road safety devices and handling technology, no longer must we make do with suspension that is balanced between handling and comfort, now we can have both. a dynamic system that is constantly changing according to driver demand and road conditions. a system that can flick at a milliseconds notice from soft comfort to "no ! I wont let you roll this car mode", allows Granny to ride in comfort in the back on the way to the airport and then allows the driver some real fun on the way back home.

the cost, being a minor hydraulic fluid knock, a simple rule of basic physics, providing driver reassurance that the system is working to it's full potential.

or
I could stick to my boring old technology, run of the mill BMW/AUDI ?????

the technical bit..

ARC is effectively 2 halves of an anti roll bar joined in the middle by a hydraulic coupling which on demand from the Dynamic response module can immediately alter the torsion provided within the roll bar.
The module uses various sensors to determine road conditions, steering angles and roll angles combined with driver inputs along with a complex algorithm to alter the torsion through the bar by forcing more fluid in or out of the coupling, this means that fluid is force ably changing direction of flow sometimes multiple times within split seconds. Simple physics means that a water hammer or hydraulic knock is created,now should the unit not be attached to anything in space this noise would not be detectable however when attached to a vehicle it is audible. what you are hearing is not any play in any component more a resonance of noise created by the hydraulic movement within the system.

The answer (the only possible answer) have a far slower reacting solely electrical system which will with current motor technology be unable to provide the responses required, or go backwards to a non active system, sacrificing the additional safety and handling benefits this clever system provides.

In short Cars now make all sorts of noises that cars 10 years ago did not make, the problem here is that learned experience is convincing you this sound is abnormal and potentially dangerous, once you can get your head around this then you will appreciate that it's just another noise associated with the correct operation of the car just as musch as the exhaust note is.

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards

The voice of Reason.............

Post #70386 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:04pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

the voice of reason wrote:

the technical bit..

ARC is effectively 2 halves of an anti roll bar joined in the middle by a hydraulic coupling which on demand from the Dynamic response module can immediately alter the torsion provided within the roll bar.
The module uses various sensors to determine road conditions, steering angles and roll angles combined with driver inputs along with a complex algorithm to alter the torsion through the bar by forcing more fluid in or out of the coupling, this means that fluid is force ably changing direction of flow sometimes multiple times within split seconds. Simple physics means that a water hammer or hydraulic knock is created,now should the unit not be attached to anything in space this noise would not be detectable however when attached to a vehicle it is audible. what you are hearing is not any play in any component more a resonance of noise created by the hydraulic movement within the system.

The answer (the only possible answer) have a far slower reacting solely electrical system which will with current motor technology be unable to provide the responses required, or go backwards to a non active system, sacrificing the additional safety and handling benefits this clever system provides.

In short Cars now make all sorts of noises that cars 10 years ago did not make, the problem here is that learned experience is convincing you this sound is abnormal and potentially dangerous, once you can get your head around this then you will appreciate that it's just another noise associated with the correct operation of the car just as musch as the exhaust note is.

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards

very good post, however you may be missing one key point - why dont the dealers and LR give this explaination?

Post #70387 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:12pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Kaine wrote:
the voice of reason wrote:

the technical bit..

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards

very good post, however you may be missing one key point - why dont the dealers and LR give this explaination?

Welcome to the voice

Kaine is quite right. The dealars just say oh its quite normal and then that just sounds like a fob off some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #70388 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:17pm
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

Kaine wrote:

Unfortunately some don't but those that do are up against initial suspicion, I would always remind people that the dealer can turn a tidy profit out of warranty repairs, to spend 3 hours looking at your vehicle and then inform you that they have found no fault is simply not in their interest.

Thanks for the welcome, I am aware my first post is probably somewhat controversial, rest assured my aims are simply to inform.

I am shall we say a motor industry expert with direct links to LR dealer network
and no more shall be said on that subject................

dealers sometimes are unable to judge their customer and in todays society a straight forward honest response can cause major headaches and will probably be wrapped up to look as fluffy bunny as possible.

again another piece of advice. it is as much your responsibility to alter your Customer / dealer relationship as it is the dealers, talk to your dealer gain his trust, for matters technical forget the salesman, forget the service manager head straight for the service advisor or workshop foreman, build trust, get to know them and the relationship will be more fruit full.

Post #70390 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:30pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

[quote="the voice of reason"]

Kaine wrote:

again another piece of advice. it is as much your responsibility to alter your Customer / dealer relationship as it is the dealers, talk to your dealer gain his trust, for matters technical forget the salesman, forget the service manager head straight for the service advisor or workshop foreman, build trust, get to know them and the relationship will be more fruit full.

this is good advice - however I must say from experience this is sometimes easier said than done

edited to say my experience with LR to date however has been very good (I was refering to other marques)

Post #70391 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:47pm
ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Welcome 'The Voice'
Can i ask what car/cars you own

Post #70397 Tue Dec 12 2006 9:58pm
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

You can ask...

I have owned many makes/models of cars over my life time, many have been privately owned, many have been company cars, some have been from high output manufactures whilst in later life some have been more prestige.

I currently have vast experience dealing Land Rover ( both driving and from a technical aspect) whilst my earlier links have been with Jaguar, Ford and vauxhall

regards

international man of mystery

Post #70402 Tue Dec 12 2006 10:05pm
ASH555

What car do you drive now?

Post #70406 Tue Dec 12 2006 10:13pm
the voice of reason

United Kingdom 

you may of found my post a little vague, sorry about that, due to the frankness of my answers both currently and in the future, My input may not be completely liked by LR or the LR dealer network, whom I can say as fact do frequent these boards in order to gain current customer feedback.

Please respect that whilst I will do my best to provide honest information I am also required to protect my own position.

Hence no personal information what so ever

Post #70408 Tue Dec 12 2006 10:17pm
ASH555

I understand your wish for amininity, the reason behind the question was to understand the types of vehicle you have bought personally and of what value' if you drove a an old banger for arguments sake you would expect faults but spend 50K would you expect more?

Post #70409 Tue Dec 12 2006 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 15 <123 ... 131415>