RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Strange Remarks & Comments ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Why?

muddywheels wrote:
I've noticed oop north comments tend to be derogatory and dan sarf usually complimentary Wink

Wonder why Whistle
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #451382 Thu Feb 05 2015 1:55pm
BKHK

Australia 

harry grumpy

I said I know him. I didn't say I "hobnob" (whatever that means) with him. Perhaps you drive an RRS to impress, I have no idea. Your motives are private to you.

We don't have as much of a social class system like you do in England so impressing is not so important to most of us. Banging Head

Surely even you know the difference between the Oz and Scottish flag?

Post #451397 Thu Feb 05 2015 2:53pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

BKHK wrote:
We don't have as much of a social class system like you do in England so impressing is not so important to most of us. Banging Head

Yet you gave what can only be classed as an extreme example (assuming of course your work is also in Oz and not England):
BKHK wrote:
I know someone at work who earns average wages who bought an Audi RS5 by increasing his mortgage just to impress.

This is a car forum. People come here to look for solutions to their problems, to look for advice, to find out more about their cars or just because they are enthusiastic about what they drive etc. Sure, some of us may well do things to impress others and/or give a false impression but that would be a small minority even among a group like this. I don't know anyone who would remortgage their home to impress others but you happen to know such a person. I am not suggesting this example somehow makes it a widespread problem in Australia but what makes you think this is the norm in the UK and most/many people here do that?

The thread was just about what RRS owners have heard people say about their cars (good or bad) ... unless I am missing something Confused Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #451404 Thu Feb 05 2015 3:44pm
Goreskin65

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

By the sounds of it no ones social in Oz, we all chose the sport because we all like and love the car, even though it'll give us a headache now and again but as said we choose not to buy to impress, now if some stranger comes up and compliments on how nice the car is yes you get a feel good sensation inside. Enjoy whatever you choose to drive but please don't ridicule others to what you think they've bought the car for. It just grinds my gears with comments like yours

Post #451422 Thu Feb 05 2015 5:00pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I get the "£500 a year road tax must hurt", I usually reply with "No, not really, as it allows me to park anywhere I want " Mr. Green 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #451423 Thu Feb 05 2015 5:12pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

BKHK wrote:
Wow, people in the UK must be easily impressed.

An RRS at 10 years old is a cheap car (to buy) at around 12,000 - 14,000 quid. Here, no one bats an eyelid regardless of the car you drive.

I know a half Billionaire who drives a 2006 RRS 2.7 in Rimini because he likes the car. I know someone at work who earns average wages who bought an Audi RS5 by increasing his mortgage just to impress.

No body likes a snob! I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #451436 Thu Feb 05 2015 6:37pm
Nik

Don't even have to spend that, plenty on Autotrader for 10 & 11k Whistle

BKHK wrote:
Wow, people in the UK must be easily impressed.

An RRS at 10 years old is a cheap car (to buy) at around 12,000 - 14,000 quid. Here, no one bats an eyelid regardless of the car you drive.

I know a half Billionaire who drives a 2006 RRS 2.7 in Rimini because he likes the car. I know someone at work who earns average wages who bought an Audi RS5 by increasing his mortgage just to impress.
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #451445 Thu Feb 05 2015 7:34pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Nik wrote:
Why?

muddywheels wrote:
I've noticed oop north comments tend to be derogatory and dan sarf usually complimentary Wink

Wonder why Whistle

Just what I've noticed over the years being a northerner living and working in both areas of the country Confused

For example aged 22 I bought a 6 month old Astra GTE when I was down south and people commented "nice car", etc and I was treated with respect doing my job despite being a Yuppie Cool

I moved back north with that car and suddenly it seemed to annoy people particularly work related. We started a family so I had to sell it and bought an older Ford Orion and everything was cool for a while Rolling Eyes

Some years later still up north I splashed out on a Landcruiser thanks to the success of swmbo business taking off and the weekends, evenings and holidays I put in building it up while holding down a full time job. I was called in within days by my manager and informed it was not an appropriate vehicle for my job! Yet years earlier down south in my early 20's in a less senior position I had driven an XR3i Cabriolet and the GTE without anyone giving a hoot Shocked

I know people up north who do not like be seen in their expensive cars so keep them hidden until weekend and drive boring cars during the week in case it puts off clients, etc. They are afraid to park them anywhere in case they are keyed, etc yet the south is awash with luxury vehicles and nobody seems to bother and they park them anywhere without a care - except London Wink Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #451509 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:05am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
I was called in within days by my manager and informed it was not an appropriate vehicle for my job!

He would have been given short shrift if he'd said that to me! Censored 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #451511 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:12am
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

A friend of mine once told me about a young army officer in a Guards Regiment in the 80's who had just bought a Capri 2,8 and was very proud of it. Over dinner in the mess that night the said officer was presented with a cheque for £9000 or so by one of the mess staff on a silver platter, and was informed that his car didn't belong in the officers mess car park. On looking out of the window he saw the smouldering remains on his Capri amongst the Daimlers and Jags!

Post #451513 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:25am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Quote:
I was called in within days by my manager and informed it was not an appropriate vehicle for my job!

He would have been given short shrift if he'd said that to me! Censored

A few years later swmbo was doing well enough for me to do that - then I left Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #451514 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:29am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Bladeboy wrote:
A friend of mine once told me about a young army officer in a Guards Regiment in the 80's who had just bought a Capri 2,8 and was very proud of it. Over dinner in the mess that night the said officer was presented with a cheque for £9000 or so by one of the mess staff on a silver platter, and was informed that his car didn't belong in the officers mess car park. On looking out of the window he saw the smouldering remains on his Capri amongst the Daimlers and Jags!

I know the capri was bad but even so Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #451515 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:29am
Strudelbaum

Spain 

When they ask me whether it runs on petrol or diesel I always tell them no - this baby only uses Chanel Five!

On queries about consumption I usually tell them it's two sets of tyres each summer. RRS SC 2011 for fun
Mercedes 500 SE for Sundays
Mercedes 300 E for Mondays
Volkswagen Golf for wife and dogs

Post #451521 Fri Feb 06 2015 12:53am
Nik

Are you being serious?
I find the part about people 'up north' not wanting to be seen in their expensive cars and keep them hiddden particularly amusing, all I can think is you know some weird people up north.
Note to self....sell car and buy a banger Rolling with laughter

muddywheels wrote:
Nik wrote:
Why?

muddywheels wrote:

Wonder why Whistle

Just what I've noticed over the years being a northerner living and working in both areas of the country Confused

For example aged 22 I bought a 6 month old Astra GTE when I was down south and people commented "nice car", etc and I was treated with respect doing my job despite being a Yuppie Cool

I moved back north with that car and suddenly it seemed to annoy people particularly work related. We started a family so I had to sell it and bought an older Ford Orion and everything was cool for a while Rolling Eyes

Some years later still up north I splashed out on a Landcruiser thanks to the success of swmbo business taking off and the weekends, evenings and holidays I put in building it up while holding down a full time job. I was called in within days by my manager and informed it was not an appropriate vehicle for my job! Yet years earlier down south in my early 20's in a less senior position I had driven an XR3i Cabriolet and the GTE without anyone giving a hoot Shocked

I know people up north who do not like be seen in their expensive cars so keep them hidden until weekend and drive boring cars during the week in case it puts off clients, etc. They are afraid to park them anywhere in case they are keyed, etc yet the south is awash with luxury vehicles and nobody seems to bother and they park them anywhere without a care - except London Wink
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #451525 Fri Feb 06 2015 8:04am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Just my observations of car ownership over 30 years living in and a variety of jobs public and private sector in Northumberland, Yorkshire, Sussex and Oxfordshire Thumbs Up

My brother up north managed to buy a RRS before me Mr. Green and discovered if he met a client to price a job in it he never got the job but when he used OHs Punto it was in the bag Rolling Eyes

Here's another - Swmbos business dipped when we had the D2 Metropolis and it was parked at front of business premises yet we're now busier than ever and have 2013 RRS tucked away in the garage Confused

I guess I just have a lot of weird customers and friends Wink Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #451543 Fri Feb 06 2015 10:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>