RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Crankshaft Seal leaking -looking at £2,500 to repair!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Crankshaft Seal leaking -looking at £2,500 to repair!!

RRS 2011 HSE with 29,000 miles - Noticed some oil drips on my drive and in my garage. Took it into Hunters Guildford who have just rung me with the news that the Crankshaft seal has gone and needs replacing. The need 15 hours to strip the engine to get at the seals. Also replace the oil pump, fit a new senor as well as replace the crankshaft seal.

I was convinced at the time of buying to go for the 2011 model rather than a 2009 model as they were meant to be more reliable!

They have been on to LR who have offered a 25% goodwill contribution as the main warranty ran out at the beginning of Dec 2014.

Luckily thanks to the horror stories on the forum I took out warranty with Warranty Direct who I hope will cover everything. However, I do feel completely let down with a three year old car which has only 29,000 on the clock and is not raced around. In the past I have had four Merc E320 estate all over 100,000 miles and the most I had was a broken front spring.

Certainly shot my confidence in the brand. Does not matter how nice the car is to drive if one cannot believe in the reliability then one might as well change.

Post #448340 Tue Jan 13 2015 5:16pm
ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

All I can say is Shocked Censored Me. Hope after that gets replaced you have happy motoring.

Post #448347 Tue Jan 13 2015 6:20pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Get a second opinion from an independent. Wouldn't be surprised if the oil is coming from somewhere else. Land Rover dealer's diagnostic skills are questionable. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #448350 Tue Jan 13 2015 6:45pm
nigel52

They say they have already stripped the engine to find out it was a crankshaft leak and that there would be additional cost to put it back where it was.

If Warranty Direct do not cover it then I will indeed take it to an independent.

Post #448354 Tue Jan 13 2015 7:24pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Be prepared to argue your case with Warranty Direct, as they needed to be informed of the leak before ANY work was done, I have had the same issue with them over another oil leak, they also keep you going round in circles and repeat the same things until you lose your cool and shout at them, this is what they want, so they can end the phone conversation and cut you off, then they log you down as a "difficult customer", which apparently I now am Rolling Eyes 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #448355 Tue Jan 13 2015 7:55pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Fair enough Laughing

Just out of curiosity - is it the front or rear crankshaft oil seal? In a previous thread (link below) about a common failure of the front seal on TDV6 Disco Mikey describes how to do it and although a fair bit of work it doesn't sound like two and a half Jeffries worth.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic35582....shaft+seal 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #448356 Tue Jan 13 2015 7:58pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Front crank seal is about 4 hours work Thumbs Up

Post #448371 Tue Jan 13 2015 9:58pm
nigel52

I will phone them tomorrow and ask if front or rear crankshaft seal.

Post #448389 Tue Jan 13 2015 11:16pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Why didn't they do a smoke test, without the need to strip engine. One problem with Oil leaks is the Oil filter position, upside down in between the V of engine. Either the sitting right of seal or spillage when changeing oil. Then runs down engine and causes. Drips onto drive Big Cry I had the same problem. £383 . from Indie Smoke testing to see where the oil was comming from Mine was a seal on the manifold that sits between the two banks of engine. The seal was £2.00 About £165 labour and quite a bit to wash engine to clear leaked oil from engine. I also heard of a garage taking a gearbox out because of a leak from back of engine. And found out it was a leak from a rusty oil pipe at back of engine itisme

Post #448402 Wed Jan 14 2015 10:07am
nigel52

Update - Warranty Direct have turned down the claim as they say they do not cover a claim in the first 90 days if not already on warranty. I find this hard to understand in that I had several conversations with them and they knew the car was on dealer warranty until Dec 4th 2014 and they suggested I took out the Warranty Direct warranty in November so there was no lapse in service. They are now saying that they do not recognise main dealer warranty only manufacturers warranty for them to pick up warranty from day one of the policy. I was astounded.

Contacted a local Indie for a quote but after checking they also say this is long job and needs special tools which they did not have. They did suggest I phone LR Customer Service which I have and they are currently investigating. They did say that having only done 8,000 miles since I bought it ie a total of 29,000 this is pretty rough.

Hunters Guildford the selling dealer and who I have my services done by and who provided the extended 12 months warranty seem to be trying to come to a resolution that I will accept.

Currently the car is with them waiting for a decision on what to do.

At the moment my main gripes are: 1: that a crankshaft seal goes at 29,000 miles and costs so much to replace. 2. That Warranty Direct were fully aware of my warranty situation with Hunters and yet told me I would be covered for everything from day 1. One wonders what they do cover from day 1?

Post #448451 Wed Jan 14 2015 4:53pm
ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Warranty Direct seem Censored useless..............thanks for the update.

Post #448462 Wed Jan 14 2015 5:29pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

nigel52 wrote:
Update - Warranty Direct have turned down the claim as they say they do not cover a claim in the first 90 days if not already on warranty. I find this hard to understand in that I had several conversations with them and they knew the car was on dealer warranty until Dec 4th 2014 and they suggested I took out the Warranty Direct warranty in November so there was no lapse in service. They are now saying that they do not recognise main dealer warranty only manufacturers warranty for them to pick up warranty from day one of the policy. I was astounded.

Contacted a local Indie for a quote but after checking they also say this is long job and needs special tools which they did not have. They did suggest I phone LR Customer Service which I have and they are currently investigating. They did say that having only done 8,000 miles since I bought it ie a total of 29,000 this is pretty rough.

Hunters Guildford the selling dealer and who I have my services done by and who provided the extended 12 months warranty seem to be trying to come to a resolution that I will accept.
Currently the car is with them waiting for a decision on what to do.
At the moment my main gripes are: 1: that a crankshaft seal goes at 29,000 miles and costs so much to replace. 2. That Warranty Direct were fully aware of my warranty situation with Hunters and yet told me I would be covered for everything from day 1. One wonders what they do cover from day 1?

The warranty i got from my Indie Dealer, stated it did not cover Leaks Big Cry There is always some wriggle out clause itisme

Post #448524 Thu Jan 15 2015 9:33am
nigel52

Latest Update - I have argued with Warranty Direct the fact that I did indeed have a LR Extended warranty at the time of taking out my Warranty Direct warranty. Luckily I had the copy of the LR Headed warranty extension and therefore met the WD requirements of having a Manufacturers warranty at the time I purchased the WD warranty.

WD have now agreed to meet the warranty claim less obvious excess and an additional filter.

They have instructed my dealer to proceed with the repair.

I fully understood WD's position of not covering wear and tear in the first 90 days unless a manufacturers warranty is in place at the time of warranty handover. However, they should have listened more carefully to me and I should not have had to fight this over 3 days.

Hopefully car will be ready next Wednesday repaired.

Post #448543 Thu Jan 15 2015 1:41pm
Dhups

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Good news... Thumbs Up

I'm probably going to go over to warranty direct next year so good to know they should cover off a LR extended warranty.

Post #448545 Thu Jan 15 2015 1:50pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

That's great news Nigel, and with the money you've saved, you should treat yourself to fitment and enablement of the remote function for the timed park heater. I can install and enable for you no problem Whistle Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #448547 Thu Jan 15 2015 2:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>