RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Yes or No.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

^^^ I can understand being fed up with Westminster - most people who live outside London probably share you views. However it is usually much better to " be inside the tent p__sing out than outside the tent trying to Pi-- in !

If I had a vote I'd be seriously wondering what sort of future would be out there my Kids and grandchildren.

I'm lucky in that there's not much that a decision either way can do that will impact my way of life so I have no axe to grind but having spent many years building economic financial models I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the average Scot if Scotland goes independent.

Post #436544 Mon Sep 15 2014 2:30pm
mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

You are very lucky to be in such a position drdelrrs. Thumbs Up

"If I had a vote I'd be seriously wondering what sort of future would be out there my Kids and grandchildren."

Exactly the reason for me voting YES on Thursday.

The average person in the UK hasn't a lot as it is.

Cameron has declared that we as a country (UK) are coming through a dire financial situation, that we should all 'tighten our belts' to enable economic recovery. Mp's have just given themselves a 10% wage increase, hardly tightening of belts there then. If Cameron had any integrity at all about him he would have nipped that one in the bud as a non-starter. I believe NHS nurses were only awarded 1.6% increase, and that after a struggle.

Cameron also should wake up to the fact that people are not voting YES because of any great sudden swell of nationalistic pride in Scotland, or sudden belief in the policies of Mr Salmon. People are voting Yes because they are sick and tired of living in a country being run by people who are woefully inept, out of touch with the general public and who have their head so far up Obama's back passage they could easily lick his tonsils.

We in Scotland have a chance to change things by becoming independent. I don't know if life in Scotland will be better or worse for the people of Scotland as an independent nation, I don't know if the oil will last 4 years, 40 years or 400 years. I don't know if Asda will put up prices.....or if David Cameron will make a last ditch appeal to the Mars family to raise the price of a Mars Bar to over a tenner thus taxing the deep fried Mars bar supper out of the reach of the average Scot if we vote YES.......But I DO know that a NO vote on the 18th will mean more of the same....that is the only certainty in all of this. 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2006 RRS TDV6 2.7 HSE -Java Black
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #436560 Mon Sep 15 2014 4:20pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Deep fried Mars bar.

One of Scotland's specialties I have not (and will not) had the pleasure of sampling Shocked

Post #436563 Mon Sep 15 2014 5:03pm
mad-dafty

Me neither Mike, nor have I ever met anyone who has. Rolling with laughter

Was just a wee jibe at what cringeworthy tactic we might expect next from a totally out of touch Mr Cameron in his quest to bully the Scottish people on how they should vote on Thursday. 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #436564 Mon Sep 15 2014 5:13pm
drdelrrs

Mad_Dafty

1. So why not go for devolution -you can then negotiate the benefits without the huge risks of independence?
2. You really think a new lot of politicians in an independent Scotland will be better decision makers and pay themselves less than in UK especially when there will be less checks and balances without a constitution !

Post #436567 Mon Sep 15 2014 5:48pm
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

I would vote for structured and meaningful devolution, except that I cannot vote, I live in the wrong country for that. Not just because I like the Union Jack but I do think that there are too many unknowns and it could be a huge disaster for Scotland to try to go it alone. The truth is that no-one knows but what a risk it would be.

Post #436568 Mon Sep 15 2014 5:56pm
Danny.H

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The tory back benchers have already said they would block any devo max structure if there's a no vote so we have nothing to lose really, I just get annoyed with all the "Scotland will never manage on their own" remarks, it's quite insulting if I'm honest. Why there's the attitude that little old Scotland can't thrive with independance baffles me somewhat! Many countries have gone before us and managed perfectly well, of course it's not going to be plane sailing but they'll be our problems and we are a more than capable nation to fix them.

*steps down off soap box Thumbs Up 2007 RRS 2.7 HSE - Java Black

Post #436570 Mon Sep 15 2014 6:13pm
Disco_Mikey

drdelrrs wrote:
Mad_Dafty

1. So why not go for devolution -you can then negotiate the benefits without the huge risks of independence?
2. You really think a new lot of politicians in an independent Scotland will be better decision makers and pay themselves less than in UK especially when there will be less checks and balances without a constitution !

You really think Westminster would give us Devo Max?

We are so far in with the lies, and deceit, that Scotland is screwed whichever way it votes...

Post #436574 Mon Sep 15 2014 6:47pm
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

Whichever way it goes it seems that Scotland will be a split country for probably at least a generation which is a big shame. By the end of this week almost half the country is going to be dissapointed because the vote has gone the wrong way for them.

Post #436592 Mon Sep 15 2014 8:47pm
mad-dafty

drdelrrs wrote:
Mad_Dafty

Everyone knows that finance dictates what real powers a country has. Cameron, Clegg and Milliband can sign a pledge that gives Scotland the right to use resources and finances as the Scottish government see fit, which is all fair and well......but if it's ultimately Westminster that dictates exactly how much money Scotland has to work with this leaves Scotland no further forward. Independence gives us the opportunity to use our own finances, not having to depend on Westminster to determine just how much we have in the coffers to impliment any changes to,or add to resources such as the health service and other public services.

Already the back benchers of the Conservatives, Lid-Dems and Labour are stating they are unhappy about what the three stooges have 'promised' Scotland if they vote NO. Apparently Scots will have £1300 or so more per head than the rest of the UK if the pledge made by Cameron et al stands. How unfair that must seem to the rest of the UK....and rightly, people down south are aggrieved. Can you blame Scots for wanting separate themselves from a system that will even screw their own in an attempt to get what it wants?

Listen, politicians are politicians whether they are in Westminster or an independent Scotland......In an independent Scotland they will not be any wiser or make any more stupid mistakes than they already do sitting in Westminster. The whole point of Independence is that we the people have control over who we elect to govern us. As it stands we seldom get who we vote for at the general elections. The elected government will have policies with ONLY Scotland's interests at heart, that in itself is huge for the people of Scotland.

As for MP's in an independent Scotland paying themselves less than Westminster MP's, my point regarding MP's and their earnings wasn't about how much they actually earn. I was more concerned at the timing of their 10% wage rise, when the rest of us are being told to tighten belts and tough it out. Everyone (MP's included) is entitled to earn as much as they can, I have no problem with that...but when you are asking your constituents to bare the burden of austerity, capping health service nursing staff to a 1.6% rise in wages and then gifting yourself a 10% rise in smacks of hypocrisy and downright selfishness. 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #436664 Tue Sep 16 2014 11:53am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mad-dafty wrote:
Mp's have just given themselves a 10% wage increase, hardly tightening of belts there then. If Cameron had any integrity at all about him he would have nipped that one in the bud as a non-starter. I believe NHS nurses were only awarded 1.6% increase, and that after a struggle.

In fairness to the MPs (I know, I can't believe I said that either!), the increase has been proposed by an external body - one that MPs don't have control over.

Of course, any MP who feels uncomfortable about the increase is welcome to donate the increase to charity - I doubt many will though... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #436679 Tue Sep 16 2014 1:22pm
Disco_Mikey

drdelrrs wrote:
Mad_Dafty

Yes, you can have more powers. But just 48 hours before people have to decide which way to vote, we still don't know ourselves, what extra powers Scotland will have...

Post #436685 Tue Sep 16 2014 1:45pm
mad-dafty

Simple solution to avoid any doubt as to the depth of the powers on offer or to avoid any misgivings by the voting public whether or not the government will indeed keep to it's word and instigate the powers would have been to put the new powers in place BEFORE the 18th. There could be no doubts then as to the sincerity behind the proposed pledge of more powers for Holyrood. What would they have had to lose? If the people of Scotland saw the offers in place and voted NO, Cameron would have thought it worthwhile. If the public still voted YES dispite the pledge being in place then so what? It would be null and void anyway in a Independent Scotland. As it is, it's too late in coming for me......I will be voting YES! 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #436706 Tue Sep 16 2014 3:13pm
drdelrrs

^^^ I won't argue with your sentiments but would have to say the politicians on both sides have not been exactly transparent - as to the timing of a 'devolution deal'; all deals will always go down to the wire because that's the way of the world - I bet when you bought you're Sport you used the same principles to get the best vfm.

The pro-independents are increasingly promising you (Yes voters) more and more - essentially less austerity with less tax while increasing...

Health spending despite being a huge deficit kept in check by the UK subsidy
a Scottish army by 15,000 pus support personnel and equipment support costs
pensions maintained
more jobs
floating currency
unknown export revenue.

Taking away the emotional and understandable desire to be masters of your own destiny I personally don't see how the logic and finances can stack up but I, sincerely, wish all of you who vote the best of luck - neither side is helping you make an informed decision.

At least you are getting a say, even though we in rest of the UK have contributed to the Scottish history we aren't getting a vote!

On ething for sure it will be messy post Thursday

Post #436719 Tue Sep 16 2014 6:04pm
Disco_Mikey

Quote:
Health spending despite being a huge deficit kept in check by the UK subsidy

Deficit, kept in check by Westminster?

You may want to rethink that statement...

Post #436734 Tue Sep 16 2014 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>