RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New RRS Diesel V6 or the New 2010 V8 - Which one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moterless

New RRS Diesel V6 or the New 2010 V8 - Which one?

Hi all, Firstly just want to say what a excellent research tool this forum is and thank all the contributors.

Id always said that i wouldnt ever buy a RRS because so many people in my industry have it and its so common in london but now i finally understand why... They look great, drive amazing, very classy and suit all occasions and all in all im in love with them and today only wish i sat in one 5 years ago when they first came out.

My last car was the first time i brought a new car and to cut a very long story short i absolutly hated it 30minutes after spending the best part of 66k on it. Brought it just before the recession and sold it when the car market was at its worst and lost of 20k and a lot of sleep and for a year iv either been riding my bike or renting a Ford Focus and now that time has come to treat myself again im wasting so much headspace deciding between the V6 or the Diesel V8. In a ideal world i would get the Petrol Supercharged so i know i have one of the best RRS in my circle (trust me they are seriously common in my world of business). I prefer the wheels on the Petrol V8, the tailpipe exhausts and even though i know i can make my diesel one look similer im not a big fan of doing aftermarket stuff to my cars. Another reason for staying away from the supercharged or even the new autobiography is that the area i live in isnt great and i dnt have the time to move for the next two years.

The Dealers keep telling me to go foe the V6, my heart keeps telling me to go for the 3.6 V8 and so do other people i ask in the car trade but obviously they are not clued up on RRS's. Iv just turned 30 and at this age these silly things which should not bother me still do. My last car was a V8 and even though there isnt much difference between the new V8 and the new V6 in speed it would just feel like im going backwards getting a V6. I know im probably being very stupid but after a year of working my nuts of, borrowing my mates banger and renting a Ford Focus when i needed to i just want to make sure i get something i will be very happy with for a few years.

Also i cant find any pics on this forum of a black in black in the new v8 with the 20inch Diamond Cut wheels. Also is it just me or are the new wheels which are offered on these new rrs's quite plain looking? I think i prefer the old stormers but again I want to stick with something which LR offer and dnt want to go with any after market wheels.

Anyway its passed midnight and i cnt believe i am thinking about which rrs model i should get rather than a good looking chick.

Guys, please let me know if there is anything you think i should think about when making this decision. Any comments, pics of the new RRS in black with the right wheels would be a very big help. I cnt even find any youtube videos of the new RRS V8 diesel which is quite strange

Thanks M3 Convert 2008 (sold)
M3 Convert 2002 (sold)
Toyota Celica 1997 (sold)

Post #257161 Thu Feb 25 2010 1:14am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

IMO having driven the new new TDV6 and TDV8 for a week each back to back, I would say go foe TDV8 if you can afford it. Others have reported that getting it chipped makes the performance even better!

You can still get Stormers as on option on the new RRS, saw a white TDV8 with them fitted yesterday and it looked very nice indeed.

Post #257168 Thu Feb 25 2010 2:45am
NickM

United Kingdom 

I'm still in shock you spent 66K on a Toyota - wow! Laughing

Nothing beats the sound of a V8, and even though I have never driven a RRS V8 - I know from many on here, there is no better. I have a TDV6, but if I were to change, it would be the V8....

Just do it mate, and you won't have to dip into aftermarket add ons too much, just get a bespoke exhaust system...and you're done! Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #257172 Thu Feb 25 2010 7:36am
NickM

United Kingdom 

I'm still in shock you spent 66K on a Toyota - wow! Laughing

Nothing beats the sound of a V8, and even though I have never driven a RRS V8 - I know from many on here, there is no better. I have a TDV6, but if I were to change, it would be the V8....

Just do it mate, and you won't have to dip into aftermarket add ons too much, just get a bespoke exhaust system...and you're done! Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #257173 Thu Feb 25 2010 7:38am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

V8 everytime!

With Easter coming up soon you should be alright finding a nice chick too.... FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #257189 Thu Feb 25 2010 11:18am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Having bought the new V6 I now wish I had possible gone for the V8. The V6 is a great engine with loads more power than the last V6 2.7. However for the extra grunt and the lovely exhaust note I would have probably got more satisfaction having bought the V8, if i had wanted to pay the extra 5 -6 grand.

So why didn't I buy the V8 then, well I beleived the sales blurb that the fuel economy had increased over the 2.7 which now made it more even more attractive than the V8. However in reality I am getting much worse economy than my old 2.7 V6, so poor to make the V8 desirable !

One further consideration is that this year the new V8 comes out so might be worth waiting until then. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #257194 Thu Feb 25 2010 11:52am
zoo

United Kingdom 

welcome to the forum Moterless - this forum is great for advice and comments from owners. Some opposing views too.

Have a look at this - it's been posted before. Might make you think TDV8 way!!

Post #257195 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:00pm
Moterless

Thanks so much for the replies so far. Iv never posted on a forum and boy am i glad i found this site!

Zoo - thanks for the Video
Landlord - Really good to get a opinion from someone who has just brought a V6 - thanks a lot. Are they really changing the V8 again this year? If thats the case i have to wait, whatever i buy next i have to keep it for a few years
Braders - thanks
Nick - Not Toyota lol, i was 3rd in the UK with the latest M3. Asked for black, they have a colour called Jeraz black which had a mind of its own. Navy blue most the time, even purple somedays, i absolutly hated it after spending so much. Also i think id grown out of M3's buy they time i got it - big mistake
2nd Rower - LR said no more stormers. Thanks for your reply, since you have driven both of the new ones i have def taken your comments on board. How come you got to drive both, do you work at LR?

Guys, why are all the LR dealerships really pushing me to go for the diesel V6. Also just so there is no confusion i am trying to compare the diesel v6 and the diesel V8. They have all said to me the perfromance is nearly the same and the extra 6.5k is a waste. Apparently for every 10 rrs they sell, they sell 1 v8 and 9 v6 on average

0-60 8.8 sec in the v6 diesel
0-60 8.6 sec in the v8 diesel

Thanks again for all the replies, please please keep them coming, they are a very big help
- M3 Convert 2008 (sold)
M3 Convert 2002 (sold)
Toyota Celica 1997 (sold)

Post #257196 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:15pm
Landlord

To be fair there is not much between the 2, both have great engines and performance, its just down to what makes you tick.

Either way, once you get past the couple of teething issues, which ever one you choose you'll be hooked.

And yes they are changing the V8 from a 3.7 to a 4.0 IIRC MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #257198 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:26pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Moterless wrote:
big mistake
2nd Rower - LR said no more stormers.

That must be new news then as the car I saw is a white MY10 TDV8 demonstrator (with optional stormers) at one of the local dealers. I was standing next to it yesterday lunchtime!

Moterless wrote:
Thanks for your reply, since you have driven both of the new ones i have def taken your comments on board. How come you got to drive both, do you work at LR?

No I don't work for them, I am in dispute with them - see my avatar and read the link in my signature for more info. Before they refused to honour my warranty, and other commitments they'd made in writing, they happened to loan me a MY09 TDV8 one week, and a brand new MY10 TDV6 the next.

Trust me, drive both and you will see and feel the performance difference in the way you have to drive them to get them going. I have the 2.7 TDV6 and yes the 3.0 is much better than this, but the 3.0 is not as good as the TDV8

Just pray you get a good RRS and don't have to deal with Land Rover Customer Service...

Last edited by 2nd Rower on Thu Feb 25 2010 12:32pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #257199 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:31pm
SingeRRS

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Motorless - welcome and a good and much debated question. I bought the TDV8 MY2010 and, bar some niggling issues which would have been sorted had the dealer bothered to do a proper PDC, I am very happy with the car. I have not driven the new TDV6 - only the old 2.7

I think the LR performance statistics are misleading. 0-60 times are a poor guide to the driving staisfaction in my opinion as acceleration and responsiveness is a function of weight and torque, not HP or 0-60 stats. Now the peak torque of the TDV6 and TDV8 is broadly similar but I suspect the TDV6 has been tuned with a torque 'spike' (i.e. over a very narrow rev range so they can publish the high figure) whilst the TDV8 delivers a flatter torque curve giving it the more effortless performance. I would love to find published torque curves for these engines in RRS tune up with no success - anyone seen one?

The result I think people are finding is the TDV8 can just pull the car along better across the rev range whilst as soon as you move past the peak torque on the TDV6 performance deteriorartes giving a stretched more lumpy all round performance.

Although what do I know - you probably really need to drive them both for a while - but my vote is TDV8

Singe

Post #257200 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:32pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

I have driven both the V6 and the V8 and in all honesty there isn't much in it, the V6 isn't as slow as people make out (I think it shifts quite well for its size) and the V8 isn't as fast as some think....

If you want a really fast car, don't buy an RRS

all my opinion.....

*ducks and covers*

Post #257201 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:37pm
Landlord

We might be missing the point here (not pointing fingers ment in a general way)

I presume most of us, if it were not down to finances and economy, would go for the Supercharged. Following that the V8 diesel and then of course the V6. Not that there is anything wrong with any of them but why is the supercharged not a consideration - usually the cost and economy (having to stop and refill every 250 miles or so).

The V8 although a great engine was always a little more thirsty than the V6 on paper, therefore IMHO the popularity of the V6. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #257202 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:44pm
zoo

United Kingdom 

...or go for the SC - I average 20mpg and I believe that the new 5.0 has better economy. The car comes with more 'extras' as standard and therefore makes the purchase closer to the TDV8. Decisions, decisions....

Post #257204 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:56pm
fixro

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

My last car was an M3 as well and I gave it back end of last year.. just got my brand new TDV8 MY10 last week, took it to the mountains and it is a G R E A T car and wonderful engine too - go for the TDV8!! no reason in waiting for a new TDV8 engine of which nobody really knows exactly when it will be available for the RRS.. my view Thumbs Up btw I’m not missing the M3 a bit..

Post #257205 Thu Feb 25 2010 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>