RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2010MY TDV6 v's TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Gazzer wrote:
So don't buy a TDV8 now as no one will want it in 3 yrs as there wil be the bigger one out there......

I doubt that will happen because it is a GREAT engine. It will also be considerably cheaper used than the 'new' one when it comes out. (even if new its the same price as the 3.6). 60k vs 40k is a big difference for alot of people so appealing to a different wallet.

What i am worried about is if it comes out SOON. My cars coming up to 1.5 years old in october and i want to change it before the end of the year for the MY10 TDV8. At almost 65k with options im not going to be happy if they bring out a bigger engine within the 1.5/2 years i plan to keep it.

Whats the odds of that happening though? Surely there going to fleece the current one for atleast that long considering it only came out in early 2007? Whistle . Guess ill just have to hope they release details before i jump in to purchase Whistle . WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #235476 Thu Sep 03 2009 11:15am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I think different, as these cars get older and appear on the used market, people will start to question the merits of spending £400+ on road tax and diesel costs. The values will plummet, I think the new TDV6 is the way to go.

***Let me edit the sentence to say***

The 'current' TDV8 is dead and the new TDV8 when/if it arrives will become a very niche choice for customers like the S/C engine. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Last edited by Gazzer on Thu Sep 03 2009 9:46pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #235532 Thu Sep 03 2009 7:19pm
RANGE_LOVER

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Shocked THE TDV8 IS DEAD Shocked
No way its a remarkable engine and people will still chose it over Dare i say VW 3.0TDI, AUDI Q7 3.0 TDI, 4.2TDI. Its miles ahead of V10 TDI Toureg.

I have never owned a diesel before all my cars have been petrol etc etc.

From the moment i started this car up and heard the gentle v8 throb i fell in love with it. Every time i put my foot down i grin Twisted Evil . I have never experienced a engine like this and it is what makes the car great. Dont get me wrong the 3.0V6 maybe be close to the performance but thats all it will ever be CLOSE. All it will take is a new TDV8 to come out and people will say i wish i bought the TDV8 etc etc.

I love my Range, I love my Engine. But no way can the 3.0V6 ever emulate this beautiful piece of engineering.

If anyone is bored of there TDV8 then i suggest you speak to Pete over at BAS.

LONG LIVE THE 3.6TDV8.......... Thumbs Up

Post #235550 Thu Sep 03 2009 8:49pm
Gazzer

edited post to reflect more what I was thinking. I would take the petrol V8 any day over a diesel, much prefer they way a petrol engine delivers the power.......word is Jaguar think the TDV6 has way more to go... 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #235559 Thu Sep 03 2009 9:48pm
fred looney

Australia 

Well said Range Lover.

Totally agree RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #235577 Fri Sep 04 2009 3:02am
RANGE_LOVER

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

And i would take a Range Rover Sport over a discovery!! Thumbs Up
Mr. Green

Post #235581 Fri Sep 04 2009 4:49am
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

+1 Mr. Green

Oh, and you are right with everything you say about the TDV8, while the TDV6 (which still is a great engine) is just a diesel, a good one, but still just a diesel, the TDV8 is far more than "just a diesel" in my eyes, it sounds and feels like a propper V8 engine. Cool RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #235621 Fri Sep 04 2009 9:57am
Gazzer

McBunny wrote:
+1 Mr. Green

Oh, and you are right with everything you say about the TDV8, while the TDV6 (which still is a great engine) is just a diesel, a good one, but still just a diesel, the TDV8 is far more than "just a diesel" in my eyes, it sounds and feels like a propper V8 engine. Cool

What you mean it's heavier, produces a smidge more power than the new twin turbo V6 and has the exhaust tweaked to make it sound good Wink (Sets the bait and waits........ Laughing )

Anyway, went out in the new twin turbo TDV6 today and I have to say it was fabulous. In fact the 6 speed auto is just as important as the engine. It is a fabulous machine, no real turbo lag like my 2.7 V6, goes off from a start a treat, and pulls a beautifully at higher speeds for over taking. All as expected really, does exactly as it says on the tin, a Sporty 4x4. What was the most surprising was that after sticking in the iso-fix car seat, pram and the missus, there was a lot more room up front than in my Disco.

All in all, love the direction LR are heading. Loved the paddleshift, another box to tick.......

Left it at the dealers with that lovely new hot engine smell and the exhaust pinking nicely! Rolling with laughter

PS The new 5.0 Supercharged Sport they had was the biz... Cool 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #235717 Fri Sep 04 2009 9:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Gazzer, go for the V6 if it ticks all the right boxes for you. Don't slag off the TDv8 though as being something a dynasaur - don't forget that the V8 came out 3 years before the 3.0lt V6 and was like chalk and cheese comparison with the 2.7l. Yes the 3.0ltr is an excellent motor and yes it has nearly the same outputs as the 3.6V8, but there is rumoured to be a 4ltr TDV8 on the way and that will recover the performance gap between the two engines. It is a tough call when you currently have a TDv8 and have driven the TDv6 3.0ltr and cannot decide which engine to spec a new car with, but there are other reasons than performance to buy a TDv8. BTW back to back driving a TDv8 against a TDv6, the TDv8 still leaves the 3.0ltr gasping in it's exhaust fumes........................ despite what the 0-62 claims are! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #235734 Sat Sep 05 2009 11:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
V8 andy

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Arctic Frost

V8 IS DEAD NEVER,when i went to buy my v8 rrs i initially went for a v6 2.7 & had just about done the deal after takung one for a test drive,when the main man from guy salmon wakefield came over & said why dont you take the bosses rrs v8 for a test drive, & after being in it for 5 minutes i went back to dealers & said cancel that v6 i want a v8.
i had to wait another 3 weeks for them to find the spec i wanted but believe me it was worth the wait & im just glad i took the v8 out before i had got a v6,i went to spend about 26-28k & ended up spending 36k but it was the best move i made in my opinion.
my next rrs will be a 2010 but in white & yes it will be a v8 & if they stop making the v8 i will stop buying rr.

andy.

Post #235738 Sat Sep 05 2009 1:10pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Gazzer,

You've sold yourself a V6 and good luck to you. I'm sure you will enjoy it after the Disco...........but at some point in the future you might just come to think what if I'd bought the TDV8 instead Whistle Wink

I bought a TDV6 2.7 initially because LR wouldn't release when the TDV8 was coming. In hindsight I wished I had hung on a little because when I first drove the TDV8 in a FFRR I knew I just had to have one.

Anyway enjoy it. You may come to play with a TDV8 when you are out and about and I hope it doesn't leave too smokey a taste in your mouth as you tag along behind.......... Rolling with laughter TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #235739 Sat Sep 05 2009 1:39pm
V8 andy

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Arctic Frost

Josh wrote:
Gazzer,

I hope it doesn't leave too smokey a taste in your mouth as you tag along behind.......... Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #235744 Sat Sep 05 2009 3:48pm
Gazzer

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Gazzer, go for the V6 if it ticks all the right boxes for you. Don't slag off the TDv8 though as being something a dynasaur - don't forget that the V8 came out 3 years before the 3.0lt V6 and was like chalk and cheese comparison with the 2.7l. Yes the 3.0ltr is an excellent motor and yes it has nearly the same outputs as the 3.6V8, but there is rumoured to be a 4ltr TDV8 on the way and that will recover the performance gap between the two engines. It is a tough call when you currently have a TDv8 and have driven the TDv6 3.0ltr and cannot decide which engine to spec a new car with, but there are other reasons than performance to buy a TDv8. BTW back to back driving a TDv8 against a TDv6, the TDv8 still leaves the 3.0ltr gasping in it's exhaust fumes........................ despite what the 0-62 claims are!

I've re-read my posts, but I can't see anywhere that I have said the TDV8 is a bad engine, never even slagged it off other than to say that compared to the new 3.0 TDV6, the TDV8 doesn't offer on paper much more for the money. It may well do.

I posted this thread to create discussion, to see what others thought, not to be taken out of context. Have I made my mind up about the TDV6? Yes, it is a great compromise. Offers great power, efficiency and value compared to the 'current' TDV8. Is it the engine I want, no. The only engine to have is the 5.0ltr Supercharged! 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #235759 Sun Sep 06 2009 12:29am
Gazzer

Josh wrote:
Gazzer,

You've sold yourself a V6 and good luck to you. I'm sure you will enjoy it after the Disco...........but at some point in the future you might just come to think what if I'd bought the TDV8 instead Whistle Wink

I bought a TDV6 2.7 initially because LR wouldn't release when the TDV8 was coming. In hindsight I wished I had hung on a little because when I first drove the TDV8 in a FFRR I knew I just had to have one.

Anyway enjoy it. You may come to play with a TDV8 when you are out and about and I hope it doesn't leave too smokey a taste in your mouth as you tag along behind.......... Rolling with laughter

That's just it, now there is rumour if an all new TDV8, I won't buy the current one, but rather use the TDV6 as a stepping stone to the new TDV8 in 18mnths. That's what this thread was for, to gather intelligence and make an informed decesion. Instead I get beaten down for asking why LR didn't up the stakes of the TDV8 when they did the TDV6. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #235760 Sun Sep 06 2009 12:41am
Gazzer

V8 andy wrote:
V8 IS DEAD NEVER,when i went to buy my v8 rrs i initially went for a v6 2.7 & had just about done the deal after takung one for a test drive,when the main man from guy salmon wakefield came over & said why dont you take the bosses rrs v8 for a test drive, & after being in it for 5 minutes i went back to dealers & said cancel that v6 i want a v8.
i had to wait another 3 weeks for them to find the spec i wanted but believe me it was worth the wait & im just glad i took the v8 out before i had got a v6,i went to spend about 26-28k & ended up spending 36k but it was the best move i made in my opinion.
my next rrs will be a 2010 but in white & yes it will be a v8 & if they stop making the v8 i will stop buying rr.

andy.

Andy just to clarify, the TDV8 is not dead. Jaguars and LR's should always have them. What I was saying is compared to the new TDV6, the 'current' TDV8doesn't offer much more. From other threads it appears many think the same and sales of the V8 have been weakened. If this new 4.0 TDV8 was here now we wouldn't be here...... 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE

Post #235761 Sun Sep 06 2009 12:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>