RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 2010MY TDV6 v's TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I drove a 3.0 Tdv6 sport back to back with my TDv8 (chipped) Sport yesterday. I felt the TDv6 was hugely impressive because it was so smooth, refined and it made the speed dial turn impressively fast. BUT - it felt bland compared to the TDv8.

The TDv8 has a much "bigger" character which is addictive in a way I doubt the TDv6 could ever be. The 3.0 TDv6 "pulls" the car along very nicely indeed (and would be a revelation to anyone coming out of the 2.7) but the TDv8 pushes the car with a huge big shove up the ass that "moves" you in a way that smaller engines with less cylinders couldn't.

But... never the less..... I do suspect that the new TDv6 probably means the TDv8 will become a very rare engine in future. That's because, people chosing between a TDv8 and a new TDv6 probably wont get the chance to drive one of each back to back. This is because I strongly suspect that no LR dealer is going to order a new TDv8 demo anymore. So people will choose between a TDv8 and a TDv6 having driven the latter and having looked at the spec of the former on paper. As the paper spec shows little actual gain, for a good bit more money, buyers will choose the TDv6. The LR Dealer appears to want to encourage that (and I suspect LR are helping them do that) so, I suspect that within a year the TDv8 in the RRS will be quietly dropped.

Huge pity that, but it helped me decide that I am going to keep mine for a year or two more, while I save up enough petrol tokens to run a 5.0l S/c.

BTW, IMHO the new interior is very smart, but I certainly didn't feel too spoiled after using it to feel hard done by in my existing model. And one other thing - dealer says they have dropped the dynamic response. Perhaps as a result the new sport felt less surefooted & evenly planted when hustling it around a sweeping bend. Maybe it was my imagination (as further justifying my decision to hold on to my existing car). But the website says Dynamic Response is still std on a TDv6 HSE - maybe another example of dealers not knowing the spec of the vehicles they have or LR not knowing either.

And finally, BTW, I have ordered a new Disco 4 for the wife as that works a complete treat and (relative to the RRS anyway) not bad value for money Thumbs Up RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #235774 Sun Sep 06 2009 9:09am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thank you for the post. I will go and drive the TDV8 this week as my dealer has all 3 engines and see more of this V8 character in the TasV8. My last 3 cars have been petrol V8's from Jaguar. I found those intoxicating. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #235820 Sun Sep 06 2009 3:51pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Decent discounts are available on the TDV8, hope mine will arrive at the end of this month!

If you spec up a TDV6, you may loose the extra money as a dealer will only take into account the basic price of the car, so there may be £5k difference at the beginning, but it you add another £3k+ to a V6, you may loose more in the long run.'Rolling Eyes'

I certainly had no problem selling my TDV8 a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of the new car, excellent money and interestingly, they said they could sell every V8, but had trouble moving V6's unless they were heavily discounted. .

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

TDV8 HSE MY10 with pretty much everything including a vase of daffs on the back shelf, tropical fish collection in the centre console, hamsters in the spare tyre and finally sheep on the passenger seats.....for weight distribution, what else??

Post #236019 Tue Sep 08 2009 4:27pm
emrubi

Italy 
Euro5? Tail Pipes?

Thankfully I found this discussion!! Thumbs Up

It is a month that I am trying to make up my mind on which one to order... the morning I wake up and it is TDV8... by tea time I switch to TDV6 Laughing

So friday I finally ordered a TDV6 nearly full optional (Dynamic Response - Cold pack - vision assist - keyless - adaptive lights etc...) color: Santorini, Ebony, Grand Black Lacquer (a must as I do not like wood trims on car consoles)

Monday I get a mail from the dealer saying that the Grand Black Lacquer trims are not available on the TDV6...

this brought up the doubt about TDV6 or TDV8 again, so yesterday I changed the order to a TDV8... not only because of the interior trims of course.. but also after reading Smarticus saying that TDV8 as a "much BIGGER character"

I guess if you think rational you go TDV6 but passion drags you to the TDV8

I still have time to change my order until tomorrow..

price difference in pounds is 1800 between the discounted tdv6 and the tdV8 with same opt

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?

anyone knows if the new tdv8 matches the Euro5 compliances (has the tdv6 does) ?
are the tail pipes of the 2010 tdv8 straight out the back as on the TDV6 or are face down as on the old tdv8?

Post #241338 Wed Oct 28 2009 12:36am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

I recently drove a (2009) TDV8 over a week (a week ago) and a brand new MY10 TDV6 all this week. i would generally agree with the Smarticus' comments. The V8 does seem to be more free spririted, and although you can easily get the TDV6 to move very quickly, I felt I had to plant the pedal to the floor more to do this. It wasn't lag per se, but almost felt akin to the car having an old fashioned kick down point on the pedal!

I'm sure the remappers are going to have fun on the TDV6 given that in the RRS it is below what the XF has, so clearly has a lot of potential.

Looking at list prices only, I don't think the V8 engine justifies the premium over the TDV6.

The new interior is an improvement, but not a massive one. Was actually disappointed at the Ipod integration on the touch screen. Again LR have gone for the simplest, easiest and cheapest route with a touch screen file structure navigation, which actually takes forever to scroll around if you have a lot of music on you ipod!

Oh well its back to the 2.7 tonight, and the ipod through the aux!! Big Cry
Laughing

Post #241342 Wed Oct 28 2009 5:10am
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Re: Euro5? Tail Pipes?

emrubi wrote:
Thankfully I found this discussion!! Thumbs Up

It is a month that I am trying to make up my mind on which one to order... the morning I wake up and it is TDV8... by tea time I switch to TDV6 Laughing

So friday I finally ordered a TDV6 nearly full optional (Dynamic Response - Cold pack - vision assist - keyless - adaptive lights etc...) color: Santorini, Ebony, Grand Black Lacquer (a must as I do not like wood trims on car consoles)

Monday I get a mail from the dealer saying that the Grand Black Lacquer trims are not available on the TDV6...

this brought up the doubt about TDV6 or TDV8 again, so yesterday I changed the order to a TDV8... not only because of the interior trims of course.. but also after reading Smarticus saying that TDV8 as a "much BIGGER character"

I guess if you think rational you go TDV6 but passion drags you to the TDV8

I still have time to change my order until tomorrow..

price difference in pounds is 1800 between the discounted tdv6 and the tdV8 with same opt

WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?

anyone knows if the new tdv8 matches the Euro5 compliances (has the tdv6 does) ?
are the tail pipes of the 2010 tdv8 straight out the back as on the TDV6 or are face down as on the old tdv8?

IMO if the price difference is only 1800 i would go for the tdv8.... actually i would go for the tdv8 regardless after owning one since april 2008 and test driving a new tdv6. Yes its quick but what killed it for me was when i went round a large roundabout quickly with the revs staying high up the range and i missed the v8 sound tooo much. V6 sounded horrible and struggling in comparison (performance wise it definately wasnt struggling, maybe it was just the new car feeling but the steering definately felt more responsive). WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #241346 Wed Oct 28 2009 9:53am
emrubi

Italy 

I think has the price difference is nearly non existent, if you spec the TDV6 up with dynamic response and a few other gizmo's that the TDV8 offers standard ...

I'll go TDV8! and go Very Happy !

but what about this noise in the front suspension some owners are getting from dynamic response equipped RRS? anyone knows wether it is solved? or shall I expect to get that as a free option? Rolling Eyes

and adaptive dynamics... somebody tried a car equipped with it? is there any difference from dynamic response only?

thanks a bunch for helping!!

Post #241347 Wed Oct 28 2009 10:19am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

First reports about the 'knocking' is that it's possibly still there! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #241348 Wed Oct 28 2009 10:24am
emrubi

Italy 

so... Smile Question Smile

shall I go tdv6 without dynamic response, without adaptive dynamics and without "knocking" ?

or TDV8 with all above?

... far out!! it's a tough one hey!?! Rolling Eyes

Post #241349 Wed Oct 28 2009 10:29am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

The new TDV6 is a great engine and huge improvement over the 2.7.... BUT it's not any replacement for the TDV8. If you have the choice, go for the TDV8 Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #241352 Wed Oct 28 2009 11:12am
dukemasterpro

Australia 

Very Annoyed wrote:
First reports about the 'knocking' is that it's possibly still there!

I had bushings changed at 7000km and 18000km on a TDV8 and not that many off road excursions - the dealer said we'll cover it on warranty this time ( 2nd time ) and it's down to "driving style".

Post #241370 Wed Oct 28 2009 12:26pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Just back from dealers, Glasses guide out today, second hand TDV8 dropped £1000 last month. TDV6 remaind the same. Looks like V8 popularity may waiver as the new V6 seems so good.

If you dont mind the high depreciation the TDV8 may still be the one to have. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #241374 Wed Oct 28 2009 12:42pm
emrubi

Italy 

Guys...

I'll talk to the dealer when they're back from lunchbreak... and...

get that

TDV8 ordered Very Happy

thanks lots for the fulfilling posts!!

PS. I called Land Rover UK and Italy asking about euro5 and straight pipes on tdv8.. but they did not know what to answer.. called the Germans and the answer was that:
TDV8 IS EURO5 - HAS A FAP FILTER AND HAS STRAIGHT SLASHDOWN MUFFLERS Thumbs Up

this twin turbo V8 is definetly a "Sir" engine + with a little chipping you take it to 330 horsepower and 750+ nm ... easy... Wink

Post #241380 Wed Oct 28 2009 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123