RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Slight Knocking Noise/Sensation felt through Steering Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Persuader

United Kingdom 
Slight Knocking Noise/Sensation felt through Steering Wheel

Hi
Have noticed a knocking sensation through the steering wheel normally when accelerating from a standstill. One of the forum members had their steering rack replaced recently. Is this a sign that mine is faulty? What's the best way to deal with the dealer?

Regards
Peter 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #7710 Sun Dec 11 2005 11:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

HHHmmmm .... I have also noticed on my supercharged a slight knock at low speeds/turning... just able to feel something through your fingertips now and again - through the steering wheel/column ? Not sure if this is normal or not - but I have never had any car do this before. So ...... you've guessed, another call to dealer me thinks Crying or Very sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Mon Dec 12 2005 1:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #7735 Mon Dec 12 2005 1:02pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
HHHmmmm .... I have also noticed on my supercharged a slight knocka low speeds/turning... just able to feel something through your fingertips no and again - through the steering wheel/column ? Not sure if this is noermal or not - but I have never had any car do this before. So ...... you've guessed, another call to dealer me thinks Crying or Very sad

Me too! But I've had the steering column replaced following my smash. Happened before happens now! Confused 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7738 Mon Dec 12 2005 1:40pm
Geordiehillbilly

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I got my steering rack replaced and it got rid of problem. Dealer done it under warranty too. Dealer reckoned it was to do with the 20" wheels I have???

Post #9237 Mon Jan 02 2006 1:30pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Geordiehillbilly wrote:
I got my steering rack replaced and it got rid of problem. Dealer done it under warranty too. Dealer reckoned it was to do with the 20" wheels I have???

My car is booked in this week for a list of things Sad including this, but I have standard Supercharged inc. standard 20" wheels so I would have thought steering column components would be suitable? will have to wait and see...... 

Post #9273 Tue Jan 03 2006 10:49am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Keep us posted on that one Martin, I too have felt this knocking feeling, feels like it's inside the column, like the shaft is banging inside it's housings somewhere (That's how I would describe it anyway)

Could be another one for the list. Mine still has not been recalled regarding the Park Brake issue, has yours? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #9281 Tue Jan 03 2006 11:20am
MDP

United Kingdom 

RRUK wrote:
Keep us posted on that one Martin, I too have felt this knocking feeling, feels like it's inside the column, like the shaft is banging inside it's housings somewhere (That's how I would describe it anyway)

Could be another one for the list. Mine still has not been recalled regarding the Park Brake issue, has yours?

The Park brake recall is one of the things it is in for. 

Post #9288 Tue Jan 03 2006 11:35am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Upgrade time...
Some of the early non supercharged cars had the non damped steering rack, later cars have had the damped rack fitted. When I had my Stormer wheels fitted, the rack had to be replaced. it was knocking with 18" wheels and a sensation of vibration and tramlining were also present. Much better with damped rack, 20" wheels do bring some of that back, but certainly no knocking. Another fault with the early racks was that they were slow to generate power assistance when cold, sometime taking 10 or 15 seconds. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #10462 Mon Jan 16 2006 8:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Damped steering rack or not - it still isn't perfect & LR are aware of these issues with the rack and I understand are investigating the problem.

I have damped steering ( Standard on Supercharged ) Dealer has looked at mine and tightened the pinch bolt but still not perfect. You know something is just quite not right Confused ..... never felt a thing before in any car 

Post #10526 Mon Jan 16 2006 2:56pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Finally got round to nipping into dealer yesterday re the knocking sensation/feeling coming through steering wheel. Mechanic came out with me and drove it and said it definitely isn't right. They have booked it in for next friday to sort it. They could have booked it in sooner but they say they want to order in all of the replacement bits for everything that could be causing the problem in order for them to definitely be able to fix it next friday - quite impressed with that.

Will let you all know what the problem was. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Post #12225 Sat Feb 04 2006 10:42am
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Took it it in this morning. They are fitting a new steering column to see if that fixes it. Will let you know.................. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Post #12739 Fri Feb 10 2006 10:25am
Biggles

England 

My sport has had a slight nock lately and I had set myself on letting it develop, but on my way into work this morning the nock got me so mad that I drove the car straight into our work shop and told the fitter not to stop pulling the car apart until he found the source of the noise.
Within minutes he came back and told me I ahd at least 5mm of play in the front passenger side ball joint. Shocked Shocked .

The car has not got ten thouseand miles on it and is being repaired at the dealers tommorrow morn. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #12799 Fri Feb 10 2006 11:11pm
scorpio_

I have had this same knock on my Discovery 3 and it is in the dealers at the end of the month for "a modified steerring colum mount" it has taken this long as the part required is not available till then.

Post #12818 Sat Feb 11 2006 2:29pm
Biggles

England 

Had the ball joint replaced this morning and all seems well the irritating noise has gone and not surprisingly the steering feels a little more responsive and true. Cool Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #12819 Sat Feb 11 2006 3:57pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Well apparently the steering column is in 3 pieces. They had pre-ordered in the upper bit but upon investigation it is the middle bit that is faulty. The dealer told me that technical department are aware of this problem as it is becoming common but the spare parts are only just being made available to the dealers so we now have the car back awaiting a call from dealer when he gets part in. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

Post #12822 Sat Feb 11 2006 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>