RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Slight Knocking Noise/Sensation felt through Steering Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

MDP

United Kingdom 

This is all interesting and as I previously mentioned I am experiencing a knocking/vibration/clunk - feel through my steering column/wheel Sad I notice it most when tootling around town & doing plenty of shuffling around in car parks etc. Think I will make a call to my dealer soon re this.When my car was last in for electrics/fix I mentioned the problem 'm having with S/column ( they tightened the pinch bolt ) and told me LR were aware of this problem. SO obviously I still havn't got mine fixed properly then. Confused 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #12868 Sun Feb 12 2006 6:23pm
Michael997

United Kingdom 

I have a slight drone between 40mph and 50mph which I can feel through the steering wheel is this a warning of worse to come? Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #12877 Sun Feb 12 2006 7:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Biggles wrote:
My sport has had a slight nock lately and I had set myself on letting it develop, but on my way into work this morning the nock got me so mad that I drove the car straight into our work shop and told the fitter not to stop pulling the car apart until he found the source of the noise.
Within minutes he came back and told me I ahd at least 5mm of play in the front passenger side ball joint. Shocked Shocked .

The car has not got ten thouseand miles on it and is being repaired at the dealers tommorrow morn.

Seems like things have developed slightly, the knock sound is back and after having the car on the ramps at work it appears the driver and passenger side wishbone bushes are all worn badly.
This has got me thinking that with almost 11000 miles on the clock that I may have a major problem somewhere the car is going into the dealers again Saturday morning to have the bushes replaced but I am having doubts as to whether the problem will be back again.
I don't think a car that is six months old and with not alot of miles on it should be needing this type of work carried out. I can appreciate some teething problems but these are major steering components Rolling Eyes Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #14121 Wed Feb 22 2006 11:45am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Please keep all posted & up to date on the outcome of this Biggles.

Thanks

MDP 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #14124 Wed Feb 22 2006 12:00pm
JASON

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Knocking sensation.

I too occasionally get this sensation; dealer said it was a brake pad moving slightly as they are supposed to. Confused Rolling Eyes Will get it checked again. Rimini Red HSE (D).Gone but not forgotten!
Subaru Impreza Turbo (UK) 1998- had her since new,could not part with her. Used for weekend blasts! Pehaps the Best 4by4byFar!
Owner of Ertyl Model RRS No.203!
AudiRS4Avant-WOW

Post #14228 Wed Feb 22 2006 11:51pm
Biggles

England 

Well the car went into the dealers and the problems are still there, they repaired the handbrake whine which apparently has affected a few discovery 3s but mine is the first sport they have had to perform the modification on.

I have re booked my car in for further investigation, the play in the bushes is apparently normal Shocked this was proved to me by the fitter checking a sport in the workshop with only 2000 miles on and it had the same play in the wishbone bushes as mine, but the fitter did say it would cause raised eyebrows at an mot testing station if the tester was not familiar with the sport.

Myself and the fitter went for a test drive in it and he agrees that the noise that can be heard is not normal and needed further investigation.
It also appears that the car is scrubbing the outside edges of the tyres away and will have a full geometery check, it was also suggested that if the air compressor does not get to full working pressure this could have adverse effect on the cars geommetry and handling.
So back to the dealers it is. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #14737 Mon Feb 27 2006 10:58am
frizz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Persuader,
Just noticed this thread from earlier in the year.
My vehicle has the exact same symptoms as yours.
I am curious to know if the new steering column sorted out your clonking?

If you still read these posts, please let me know.........

frizz

Post #124176 Mon Jul 09 2007 5:00pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There are several different knocks that can come from the front. There is one from the column itself. There is one that comes through the steering when the lower column joint is worn. There is an issue with some vehicles as you say with ball joints. The wishbone bushes need the pre-determined play so when the suspension goes up and down it does not twist the rubber bush causing premature failure. - Well thats the idea. As for the air compressor the dashboard would indicate if it had not reached its correct height. At the moment I am re-calibrating my pre-set normal height at all different heights with the diagnostic tool to see where i get the most or least knoking, then looking into this arc system. I am short of time at the min due to training master technicians, but as soon as I have any answers I will post them for you.
I am sure we are on the way to a diagnosis - and lets hope a fix- SOON

Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #124388 Tue Jul 10 2007 8:54am
Darren

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

There is a recall on the disco 3 for this knocking fault with the column which requires replacing. My sport has been in for this and when they checked the part numbers for the columns they were the same as the disco 3 so they replaced it.

Post #124638 Tue Jul 10 2007 9:41pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Darren wrote:
There is a recall on the disco 3 for this knocking fault with the column which requires replacing. My sport has been in for this and when they checked the part numbers for the columns they were the same as the disco 3 so they replaced it.

So is there a recall on the RRS - does anyone know Question

Post #124657 Tue Jul 10 2007 11:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

No there is no recall on the RRS but the later vehicles have the later steering rack on with the damper that was mentioned earlier in this thread. It can also be fitted to reduce steering vibration on the earlier cars I beleive. I think we all need to be aware of all types of noises that are present at the min so as not to get confused. The loud grinding noise heard when turning on full lock when cold is normally the steering lock stops and it normally does it when the suspension is still in entry mode. Any chattering noise or un-even feel in the steering can be the steering column or the lower column joints, on any slight vibration or wheel wobble you might need the modified rack mentioned above. The Dynamic Response knock that is called Characteristic is defined by driving at around 20mph on smooth tarmac, then snatch the steering wheel one way then the other- the harder you turn the stering wheel the louder the knock. Then switch the vehicle off remove the battery cover and you will find a long fuse box next to the battery. Remove the fuse box cover - 2 rows of fuses on the right hand side as you look from the front of the vehicle and a lot of relays on the left. The row of fuses that are nearest to the relays and furthest from the wing, count back from the windscreen end including the fuses and the empty slots to the 5th fuse you will find it is 15amp. Pull this fuse out and close the bonnet. Start the vehicle, you will notice the red light on the dash a picture of a car with 2 arrows above it, this means the DR system is no longer active. Now carry out the same test at 20mph, You will find when you snatch the wheel the noise has gone. Stop the vehicle and replace the 15amp fuse. Replace the fuse box cover and the battery cover. Start the vehicle up and you will notice the light has extinguished- carry out the test again- the noise has returned. This is the characteristic noise mentioned in the technical service bulletin. I hope this helps Neutral You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #124988 Thu Jul 12 2007 9:35am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

My car was returned to the dealer on Monday, and inspected today by area technical manager. He agreed the car was more noisey than it should be, and that other than all the other parts which had been changed, the noise was coming from the Antiroll system. My car has had, column, rollbar and mountings, drop links, two bottom ball joints and some sort of damper already replaced. When the anti roll bar were disconnected, the noise went away, re-connect and its back. Tomorrow they are fitting two new drop links, and 'bleeding' the suspension system again. If that does not resolve the noise, they want to take it back to the factory to try other parts Big Cry Have told them to go Whistle and that the only way the car is going back to the factory is if I no longer own it. They also had no explanation why all four tyres were so badly worn after 4000 miles, and made no comment about the fact that I had been driving about with incorrect tracking since March. They had adjusted the ride height as they could not get the car into spec, now it looks like its in off road mode all the time. Rolling Eyes 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #129221 Wed Aug 01 2007 10:35pm
chris

Germany 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I tried the test "Nutty Nige" has written above.
And yes it is the DR problem. it was gone when I took out the fuse.
so nothing to do/repair at the moment on the DR system.
Bad news.....
Waiting for a solution from LR. Crying or Very sad ---------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 MY 08.05 java black / alpaca

Post #150471 Fri Jan 04 2008 3:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12