RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chipping the TDV8 (was Steering control buttons)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Steve in germany

Germany 
TDV8 Superchip

Hi all, just joined. I take delivery of my TDV8 on monday and i'm already looking at a chip. Looked at lots of sites but would be gratefull of any feedback. Some of the "claims" seem a little strong to me, have a look at this below which was sent to me after contacting Superchips.

R-Tech Spec 1 (Torque Remap) 330bhp / 831NM

Land Rover Range Rover Sport TDV8
2006 onwards
Engine type : Turbo-Diesel
Engine size : 3630 cm3
Cylinders : 8
Original bhp : 268
Original nm : 640
BHP increase : 62
NM gain : 191
Lb/Ft gain : 141

Price = Mobile remap session via BDM method is £490 all inc.
Warranty = 2 years TUV backed & ISO 9002.
Time = 3 hour session

You will not be disappointed huge power gains which will put you back into your seat! This is a top class remap which will allow your TDV8 to kick out more pmore power than a BMW 335d Twin turbo.

Nick Gower

What is a BDM remap?

BDM Remapping (555Pro bench remap)
The ECU must be removed from the car and is programmed by special springs which locate and make contact with the manufactors service and flash points without having to soldering on the circuit board. This method is used for example if a car has no connection from the OBD connector to the ECU or for very new ECU versions. The best tool for this is the is our brand new 555Pro BDM allowing to to tune car not only not only quick but also invisible to diagnostic tools and fully reversible. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #145375 Thu Nov 15 2007 10:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've had my TDv8 for 3 weeks tomorrow Steve, try running it in standard tune for a couple of thousand kms before you get it chipped - I think you might find you are happy enough without the chip/remap, unless your last car was something like a Porsche Turbo that is! My last car was a TDv6 RRS and the performance improvement over that is amazing! I know I'll be shot down in flames for saying the above as there are owners of chipped TDv8 on the boards.

And welcome to the forums 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #145376 Thu Nov 15 2007 11:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh

United Kingdom 

Steve,

Welcome.

There is no need to remove the ecu to chip it. Most companies stopped doing that about 2 years ago. All of the site sponsers and JE Engineering do it by downloading via the obd port.

Suggest you follow Tim's advice and run it in well first.

I had a chipped TDV6 which needed the boost. IMHO the TDV8 dosen't need it....but others will disagree with me.
Its your call.......do you value your warranty or are you in a position to offload it before there are any potential wear issues having had some fun.

There are lots of threads on here for you to research. Pays your money takes your chance. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #145388 Fri Nov 16 2007 1:11am
Steve in germany

Germany 
TDV8 Superchip

Thanks to Tim and Josh, The out going car is a Q7, I know the TDV8 is quick but living here in germany where everyday i drive at the cars maximum on the Autobahn, I thought it would be nice to burn past the AMG and BMW counterparts. Twisted Evil Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Post #145398 Fri Nov 16 2007 10:21am
Tim in Scotland

Now that's a pretty good reason for chipping it Steve!
I would still recommend running it in standard tune for a few 1000kms first before you start finger poking under the bonnet. Then when the AMG's /BMW's etc are used to flashing passed you, you can then confound them as you fly passed them a couple of months down the line in a car with a nicely bedded in engine. Just watch out though if an Aston Martin V8 Vantage appears in your rearview mirror................................... that' be xxxAngelxxx coming to see just how fast you can go! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #145408 Fri Nov 16 2007 10:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve in germany

Germany 

I also have a XKR at my disposal, and it's "special" Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Post #145414 Fri Nov 16 2007 11:11am
Tim in Scotland

That's what Angel sold to buy the Aston! But he also has an RRS TDv6 HSE (he claims it is his wife's car Wink Wink ) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #145416 Fri Nov 16 2007 11:17am
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

Steve, why not ring Censored in Weilheim and have a chat about the just released Censored TdV8 tune? Might hear something to your advantage.

Tested where there are no speed limits also!

Best wishes.

CV Smile

Last edited by Cornelius Vermuyden on Fri Nov 23 2007 2:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #146280 Fri Nov 23 2007 11:57am
Steve in germany

Germany 

Thanks CV, will speak to them, think i will run the car for a month or two first before i make any mods. Thumbs Up Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Post #146285 Fri Nov 23 2007 12:21pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

The BDM 555Pro (Background Debugging Module) is a tool made by a company called Dimsport.
They make and supply tools that are TUV approved in germany.
This tool writes directly to the processer of the ecu by connecting to its bdm test points.

Dont fall for the trick that the map installed to your car would be TUV approved, because its not.
The only thing that is approved is the tool and its supporting software.

But as said these model cars are doable by the OBD diagnostic port with the correct tools.
I dont recomend a BDM job on this model because as soon as you remove the ecu's top the warranty on your car will be void as there is a seal which is broken.

Im not trying to jump in on any of the forum sponcers BUT if you need a company in germany who can do this work let me know, i have a few friends out there with good equipment that can do this for you.

Post #146354 Sat Nov 24 2007 1:41pm
cherrybay

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I bought my TDV8 2 months ago and got it chipped yesterday in Holland .
I must say the TDV8 DOESN'T need it but im happy i did it anyways the respons is so much better ..

great Forum guy's thanks for all the tips & Tricks.

Post #146776 Thu Nov 29 2007 5:53pm
lummygee

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Zambezi Silver

Just found this thread on google and hope you guys can shed some light on this matter we have.

We Just got our comapanies remapped TDV8 Back this afternoon from a routine service and we noticed the power was well down compared to the performance before the service.?

We called the dealership and told them we had a problem with the performance, the service manager informed me that when they plugged there computers in to the car there are a fault code on the ecu and they knew the engine had been remapped and to get shut of this fault code the said the ecu needed to be set back to standard.

Our TDV8 was odb remapped back in July 07. Good News! The tuning comapny said they will remap the ecu again for free but we have to drive over 100miles to get this done. They said they will remap the car using the bdm solution so Land Rover will not see the remap and cannot wipe it off. Is this true? or will we be having problems each time the ecu is remap via odb or bmd? I have spoken to a few tuning companies this afternoon most of them are telling me to have the remap done by bdm, but a few are saying obd. Is there another obd solution out there? or should we go with the bdm solution.
Our directors 330d has had a bdm remap last year this car has been in for a service since and came back with the full power it went in.

Has anyone got the contact details for the superchip comapny mentioned above? as they state "invisible to diagnostic tools"

Callum
www.mepk.co.uk

Post #148474 Fri Dec 14 2007 9:53pm
Tim in Scotland

This is quite a common problem with remaps on Land Rovers, so you haven't been told a total pack of fibs, and it depends on the company that sold you the remap as to their policy about rewriting it to the ECU after a service but it does appear from the many many posts on these forum that nearly all of them will do it for free. I don't know what the differenc between ODB and BDM. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #148476 Fri Dec 14 2007 10:06pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

First of all DONT let them remap your ecu by BDM,

This will envolve them removing the ecu.
Forcing the lid of from its bed of sealant to gain acsess to the BDM pinout pads on the pcb.

Then reading and writing the data back directly on the bench with a BDM
(Back ground debugging tool)

THIS IS EVEN MORE OBVIOUS TO THE DEALERS THAN BY OBD. Especialy if they have seen your car tuned in the past.

Most companys will tell you to have the work done by BDM as this form of tuning was the only form before the OBD option became available.
Most of the good modern and upto date tuning companys can remap you car by OBD no problems.

I can give you the reason as to why the dealers knew it was tuned,
The reason is,
When the OBD tool reads the ecu , it needs to read the extrenal eprom that contains the mapping info.
To do this it reads the info through the processer, using the processer as a translator.

How it works is,(imagine the processer as a comunications engine), as soon as the key is on , the engine is running.

The OBD tool connects to the processer and stops its running state but leaving it alive as such.
It then asks the processer to read out the info from the eprom and direct it down the CAN comunication lines back to the OBD socket.

Now we have the read Smile

BUT

After it has sent all its info, it needs to RESTART the processer/engine so your car will run.

All these processes leave traces inside the ecu in the form of various fault codes, these fault codes are NOT able to be replicated with a genuine fault, ONLY if the processer is stoped and restarted.

The dealers know about these codes so they know your car has had a OBD tool connected.
They could remove the faults and leave the tuning as is , BUT they wont as you have found.

You need to ask your tuner IF they have a tool called IDS, which is the dealer tool.
Tell them , Log into your car , read and chq faults, tune your car, read and remove faults BUT leaving the tuning there.

Hope this all makes sence.
If you get stuck , i have the Dealer tool IDS and also do tuning , this is how i have gained my knowledge about these faults and your situation.

Regards pete

PS ignore me spelling mistakes looool this was a fast post.

Last edited by bellautos on Fri Dec 14 2007 11:35pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #148478 Fri Dec 14 2007 10:10pm
Tim in Scotland

So Pete, despite what some tuners will tell us, there really isn't such a thing as an "invisible" / unfindable remap, also if I understand your post correctly, by doing a BDM remap you are actually throwing away the car's warranty because the remap requires "unauthorised" opening of the ECU? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #148492 Fri Dec 14 2007 10:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>