RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 18" RIMS ON S/C (Long Awaited!!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

The OEM 18s in the picture won't clear the Brembos, I'm afraid. Disco/LR3 and Sport share the same wheel arches, hubs, etc., only difference is the front brakes in the S/C version which "disqualifies" any 18" stockers, whether from a Disco3 or a Sport. Sad

As far as tire sizes, I have been running a 285/60R18 all terrain setup on an off for several months now (on my non-Supercharged Sport), and the only things that aren't accurate are the "slower" speedo and "pessimistic" trip computer / mpg calculator (and slow odometer, but that's a good thing!), meaning that when the speedo says I am going 60 mph, I am really going 65 mph. No big deal, though. The satnav's speed sensor is independent and self-calibrating. The advantage of a chunky tire like that is about an extra 1.5" of clearance off road over the stock setup, plus a magic carpet ride on the road, all that extra sidewall and rubber really make the ride extremely smooth and surprisingly quiet, despite the more aggressive tread - handling won't be as sharp, of course. Under full compression there is very slight rubbing on the rear wheel well, but it is really minor, and the only signs of it is a small square of worn plastic liner inside the rear wheel well. Like Drevs said, I wouldn't try to fit anything larger though, a 285/60R18 is about 31.5" in diameter and that's probably as much as you can get away with on Sport and Disco3. Some members on a different forum tried a BFG 275/65 in 18" and said it rubbed pretty bad on a Disco3. 

Post #108286 Fri May 11 2007 9:59pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Another problem with running 18's on the S/C will be the speed rating....................... are the 18's suitable for the speed that the S/C can achieve. I would imagine that insurance companies would not be very happy should you have an accident in an S/C running on 18" tyres as the car isn't designed to run on them.
I believe that the S/C is fitted with a speed limiter because tyre technology for the sort of tyres that LR fit to permit offroad use is not up to the high speeds that an S/C can get to when it is unlimited. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #108289 Fri May 11 2007 10:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andrewjakovac

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

Hi Guys... Thanks for participating in trying to finalise a solution..

On thing I thought I would let you know is that given the proximity of the inside of the rim to the actual caliper now (appro/ 5mm clearance), there is higher liklihood that you get small stones stuck between the rim and the Brembo caliper.. All I have seen so far is that lodged stones scratch the inside rim, which doesn't phase me at all truthfully...

The only thing I started worrying about is whether there was a chance that the caliper could "rip off" if a tough enough stone got stuck between the caliper & the rim.. To put my mind at ease, I'm constantly checking clearances of other car's caliper to rim distance, and my observations have shown that heaps of cars actually have only around a 5mm clearance. Including the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo... Other cars with small clerances include BMW 3 series with larger brake set-up and a heap of other cars I now look at specifically for that purpoose.. But like I said, the oone that gives me a bit of faith about running a 5mm clearance is the Jeep mentioned above, because it si designed to be an off road car..

I am exploring the idea of machining a slight concave groove into the inside of the rim where the "scraping" from stones happen the most... I wouldn't need mreo than about 1.5mm extra to substantially reduce the scraping I reckon.. Plus, I don't really want to grind the calipers to give me clerance, since I have too much respect for the Brembo name.. I don't really have any other logic.. Smile

I am waiting back on an engineer to give me the o.k. to machine a concave groove (about 10mm wide in total) 1.5 mm deep into the inside of the rim, and what it would do to the structural integrity of the rim.. I will post the info once recieved...

A few comments on the recent posts by both "umbertob", "Tim in Scotland" & "drevs".

"drevs"

You mentioned that you are considering going to a 20" agressive tyre. I went through the same mind games when I was deciding what to do. There were two reasons I went for the 18" option, hope these reasons help you decide:

1. SAND DRIVING: The main reason I needed smaller rims was to get onto the sand. Anyone with low profile tires (i.e. Conti 20" that come standard with the S/C) know very well that deflating them doesn't help at all. On sand, you need as much tyre profile as possibile, so the tires can "belly" out when de-pressurised. So the 55 profile is a lot better for me on the sand. I tried my set-up deflating the pressures first to 20psi, which was slightly too low (only because I felt like I would peel the tyre off the rim with the stupidity I was doing!), and 24psi worked just as good for the sand as 20psi, but I felt that the tire wall was adequately strong.

2. 18" RIMS ARE CHEAPER THAN 20" RIMS: The other main reason for needing a dedicated off-road set-up was because I know I will bash my rims around a fair bit off road, so even if I had a set-up with the same tire size, it would be beneficial Ithat I have one set of rims I can smash up off road, and one good set for the on-road "looking good" factor. When I considered getting a spare set of 20" rims to kill off road, the costs were a lot more substantial than a set of 18" rims I can bang up..

Hope that helps with your decision on rim size.. Smile

With regards to driving around with the blocks off, I would recomend you be careful, as I don't need to tell you how important brakes are to your general wellbeing Smile Plus, LR freaked out when I asked them if I could take them off... That's why I would go through the exercise of having the alternative shape blocks made up, and do your testing on them. Since testing the car without the blocks alltogether isn't of much help if you accept the assumption that you wouldn't risk being out in the middle of nowhere if your brakes fail, I suggest get the blocks made up.. Only cost me $20 AUD per pair, and any custom auto machinest should be able to make them for you without too much hassel. I will post the dimensions of mine (new blocks) next time I take them off.

With regards to the aggressive mud terrain tyres, I feel your pain. I would like them too. My instructions to my wheel & tire guy was the following:

1. Try and keep the rolling diamater as close as possible to standard (726 I think)
2. Match the load / speed rating of the stock 20" Conti's

All he could come up with was the Cooper H/T Plus tires, and they are the best mob around for off roat wheels & tires (so they should know!). There was another Cooper tyre, slightly more aggressive tread geared SLIGHTLY more for mud, and the profile was 60 (as opposed to my 55's), but the rolling diamater was slightly larger, and he only had 3 in the country at the time I needed to go off road... I made the "executive descision" to go with mine, dispite the slightly higher profile of the alternative ones, only because the H/T Plus tread was more suited for sand, and the majority of my off roading is on sand. I choose to rely on the car's smarts to deal with mud etc. as the only difficulty I have had with the car off road is on sand...

If you are willing to go outside the above 2 criteria, you might SLIGHTLY increase your tire choice. I'm constantly looking at that too, so if you find anything let me know PLEASE... Smile

Wow, I should write a book!! (just looked up at how much I wrote) Smile

"umbertob"

Thanks for the info on running larger profile and how it affects the car's "smarts".. Can you let me know what Rolling Circumference the 285/60/18's are? I would be interested in that because that would slightly increase my tyre chouce given the criteria I set for my tyre/wheel guy when he was sourcing some tyres for me.. If tha't the only problems you have running larger RC tires, I would be happy to share those problems with you Smile

"Tim in Scotland"

Yes you are corect, the S/C does have some type of speed limiter based on the tyre speed ratings, Top Gear proclaims that the tyres would burst if they didn't have the limiter. This ie=s exactly why I required my whee;/tyre guy to keep within the criteria mentioned in my reply to "drevs"... I would suggest that this be adhered to by anyone else also, or otherwise, don't go over 60km/hr with the off-road set-up and you should be safe... Not much fun like that though Smile

TO RECAP INFO TO COME:

1. Dampner Block dimensions / weight (modified shape as opposed to standard block dimensions)
2. Advanti Photon 18" rims - Load rating
3. Advanti Photon 18" rims - Speed rating
4. Advanti Photon 18" rims - exact offset information (just in case there are other good looking rims available with the same offsets etc.)
5. Exact rolling circumference of "umbertob"'s 285/60R18 tyres
6. Any more possibile tyre configurations given my Advanti rim set-up (18x8), and the rolling circumference info to come from "umbertob"
7. Possibile solution to reduce "rim scraping" as explained above

Cheers guys, and I'm looking forward to solving the last of the issues above with everyone's help.. Smile

Post #108478 Sun May 13 2007 5:04pm
drevs

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Thanks for all the info!

So lets see...

I am looking at running 20's simply because I already have them. I also already have a set of 22" street wheels/tires (285/35-22). That's my daily driver set. I want to, as you have, get a second set of dedicated offroad rubber.
There are a few reasons why having a set of 20" offroad tires/wheels makese sense for me:

-I still have my factory 20" wheels, so all I'd have to buy would be tires. Frankly, I don't care that the wheels are getting dinged up a bit offroad... but that's just me.
-The recent release of that Cooper LTZ that comes in a 20 and has a pretty aggressive tread pattern.

That said, I think 18's are better (obviously, and for the reasons you stated) for offroad stuff. So I'm interested in your progress. Unfortunately there are many downsides to getting 18's:

-I have to buy new wheels. So far, I've had no luck finding an Advanti dealer here in the US. I have a guy at discount tire looking into it, but nothing yet. The Chinese company that owns Advanti has not responded to my email either...
-I'd have to sell my 20" wheels and tires.
-I'd have to go through the "experimentation" of aftermarket 18" wheels (although you're pretty much pioneering it all for me(= )

About catching the rocks b/w the wheel and the caliper... I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Any rock that's small enough to fit in there is just going to get crushed. I think the idea of removing material from the wheel spokes is WAY more dangerous than the potential rock chip that you may create on your caliper.
Your caliper is held on by two steel bolts that are way bigger (and stronger) than the 5mm stone that might get caught b/w the spoke and caliper.
Frankly, machining a bigger groove is only going to increase the size of the stone that could get caught in there, and thus potentially do more damage.

Interestingly, your two "Tire Criteria" are not even on my radar. If I'm going to have a dedicated set of offroad wheels and tires, I want a no-compromise offroad tire on there.
I'm not worried about speed rating, I won't be going over 100mph with my offroad tires.
I'm not worried about rolling diameter, actually I want the BIGGEST tire I can possibly fit - better ground clearance and better traction. Who cares if my speedo is off!? It's better for resale value, anyways. Wink
I don't even care about durometer or wear rating. These tires will see 2000 miles a year, tops.

Umberto's are 31.5" diameter. You can use any online tire size calculator to figure the actual dimensions.
I'd say that his 285/60-18 might be an ideal size for you. He seems happy with his choice, and that's about as much rubber as you can fit under a RRS without causing problems.

Lastly... How about some pics of the wheels on your truck!! Very Happy

Post #108589 Mon May 14 2007 2:53am
andrewjakovac

Drevs,

Thanks for the info & thoughts, it's really good to have someone to finally bounce ideas off on this topic..

A couple of things based on your comments.

I agree that if you have some 22" road wheels that it's a bit of a muck around to sell the stock 20"s, but for the reasons I said about sand driving I'm sure you would get the benefit (if you plan on doing sand driving that is)... I would try selling the stock 20"s on EBAY if I was you though, because I really think it's worth going the 18"s not just for sand, but for tyre wall purposes when you are climbing rocks... I really noticed the difference climbing some boulders the other day with the 18"s on, even though my 20"s did it fine at the same place about 4 weeks ago, it was just the peace of mind knowing the tyre walls are climbing and not the rims..

I can ask my wheel guy if there is some way that he could possibily have a set of Advanti Photon's re-directed to the US through someone over there? Let me know if you want me to run it by him. The rims cost me $215 a peice, so I didn't think it was too much of an ask.. (i.e. I was prepared to be hit harder)...

Regarding running the 20"s with bigger tyres: I am a procrastinator, so when I return from off roading, it generally takes me a couple of days to change the rims back over... So inevitably I get stuck running the 18" off roaders for a few days, so I need them to pretty much comply (speed / load ratings etc.)... That being said, I really SHOULD sell the Cooper H/T Plus' and go with a more aggressive tyre based on Umbertob's rolling diameter info so far.. I would suggest we both look into ALL the options together and list our options on the thread.. Agree? Smile

So here goes with the photos & vids..!! Smile

CLOSE-UP OF 18" AROUND THE BREMBOS

ON THE FERRY READY TO HIT THE SAND

ON THE SAND @ 24PSI - No problem stopping on almost ALL soft sand

SOME RELATIVELY TAME SAND TESTING Smile

Let me know what you guys think... Smile

Post #108591 Mon May 14 2007 5:26am
umbertob

I find this calculator very useful:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

So there, the diameter of a 285/60/18 is 31.5", circumference 98.8". Based on my experience, I would therefore suggest keeping it at or below that number to avoid rubbing. As you can see from the calculator, upsizing this much will make your speedo about 8% slower. When upsizing tyres on larger size rims (such as 20s), it was correctly pointed out elesewhere you should also keep an eye on the cross/offset width of the tyre, which is mounted on a much wider alloy wheel and therefore may start rubbing against the strut inside the wheel, rather than on the well itself, so circumference alone doesn't always guarantee a tyre will fit... 

Post #108597 Mon May 14 2007 7:32am
Tim in Scotland

Won't it also rub on the brake pipes which was an issue on early cars running OEM bigger wheels/tyres? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #108598 Mon May 14 2007 7:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drevs

umbertob wrote:
tyre

I had no idea you were bilingual! Wink

Alright, alright... I'll keep looking into the 18" wheel thing. I just need to know that offset info. I'm able to find 18", 5x120 wheels all day long, but how will I know if they'll fit (short of ordering them for a test)?

I think the two best (only?) AT tires for us are the Nitto Terra Grappler and the Cooper Zeon LTZ. The Cooper LTZ is available exclusively through Discount Tire Co. They do have an online division that may do international orders. I have no idea.
In all my searching, there are ZERO mud terrain style tires in 'low profile' 18" or 20" wheel sizes. I suppose that makes sense.... I'm going to have to make my own from an AT style tire, but that'll have to wait until I actually purchase the tires/wheels.

This is my favorite tire calculator, since you can compare up to 5 sizes tires simultaneously.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

If you plug in all the numbers, you'll find that the sidewall heights are as follows:
275/40-20 = 4.33" (stock)
255/55-18 = 5.52" (Andrew)
285/50-20 = 5.61" (me?)
285/60-18 = 6.73" (Umberto)

Post #108602 Mon May 14 2007 8:12am
umbertob

drevs wrote:
umbertob wrote:
tyre

I had no idea you were bilingual! Wink

In one of my first posts here I announced that, despite having side steps installed, I never mess up my pants when getting out of the car. Now I make sure to dot my i's - or replace them with y's - when posting here. Smile 

Post #108622 Mon May 14 2007 4:20pm
umbertob

drevs wrote:
[
In all my searching, there are ZERO mud terrain style tires in 'low profile' 18" or 20" wheel sizes.

Mud? In Scottsdale, Arizona??? What weird s*it are you smoking? Laughing Wink

If you do find a way to fit an 18" alloy on your S/C eventually, Nitto also makes the super-duper Dune Grappler in a 285/60 size... That would be more appropriate for the terrain surrounding your house, no? It looks like an awesome rubber for desert crawling, or flooring it Baja style, but it's probably noisy as hell and I remember it costs a bundle (also available through Discount Tire in the US), look it up:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireD...p;rf=false 

Post #108674 Mon May 14 2007 8:46pm
Tim in Scotland

A bit off topic but this weekend I have fitted a set of new BFG MT's to my Defender90 to replace a set of extreme Mud tyres (peat bogs up here swallow Defenders for breakfast with aggresive tyres after it has rained, which is frequently!) that were 5 years old and remoulds but had only done 3000 miles but are a liablity onroad and braking efficiency is almost NIL on them in the wet!. I have been running on BFG AT's for onroad use with mdoerate to hard offroading but what a difference in noise with the MT's - I reckon they are actually QUIETER than the AT's I normally run on which is really good news as I will be driving 200 miles to Smarticus's offroad extarvaganza shaortly and will do the run on the MTs rather than the AT's. It's a pity that BFG don't make either tyre in a size to fit either D3/LR3 or RRS, I would buy a set like a shot if they did. If you have a Freelander though they do make 17 and 18" suitable for that! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #108681 Mon May 14 2007 8:55pm
andrewjakovac

Ok guys, now I've been inspired...!!

I'm putting THESE TYRES on my truck:

Rim Size: 18" x 8" Advanti Photon (will powder coat them black)
Tyre Size: 285-60-18 (as recomended by "Umberto") as not causing unbareable problems with wheel wells etc.)
Tyre Brand: Nitto Dune Grappler DT http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireP...;tc=NITRH7

OR SEE HERE FOR PHOTO:

The reason I think these are the best for my applicaiton is they are really geared for sand / dune hopping (surface area), and the tread pattern is agressive enoiugh to hack the bit of mud work I will be doing in my Sport. I predominantly do sand work anyway... Being in OZ on the beach and all Smile

I'm glad in one way that I got my set-up working and let everyone on this forum know how to do it, but on the other hand now that I have got more info from everyone I have to sell my Coopers now!!

Bitter sweet I suppose... Smile

BTW, I am still waiting back on the dimensions of the Advanti Photons (Offset etc. info), and as soon as I get it I will post. My wheey guy is still waiting back from manufacturer...

Here's a MOCK-UP of what the Nitto Dune Grappler DT would look like... I just found the Sport photo on the net, at the right angle, and photoshopped the tyres onto the car.

Who's in?? Smile

Post #108816 Tue May 15 2007 4:11pm
Pelyma

England 

Would a 19" wheel with Goodyear MTRs not suit?

Post #108820 Tue May 15 2007 5:25pm
drevs

The 19" MTR are not available here in the US... dunno about AU.

Sorry - I should have listed the Dune Grapplers. I wrote those off a bit ago because of some lukewarm reviews from my local tire place. However, they would be great for beaches and whatnot. You've probably got a winner for your specific terrain. Be sure to post some pics when you've got them mounted.
And do keep us posted on the Photon specs (not that I can even find them for sale here in the US...)

Post #108847 Tue May 15 2007 6:53pm
Tim in Scotland

And they are extremely difficult to to get hold of in the UK too............... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #108858 Tue May 15 2007 7:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>