Home > General > Handbrake Stuck.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Sheedy773

United Kingdom 
Handbrake Stuck.

Apologies for not searching,

I'm suppose to be on holiday.

All of a sudden I had a parking brake fault, and now the handbrake is stuck.

Efforts by myself and recovery chap didn't release manually.

Long and short of it is it's been recovered to a garage god knows where to be disengaged.

Are the garage going to try and fail at what we did? Or is there something else they can do I'm garage?

I'm only looking to get it released so I can get it home to my mecanic.

Also, what's the likely cause of it not working and not releasing?

2010 3.L RRS

TiA.

Post #617288 Tue Sep 14 2021 7:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

So the release loop didn't work when you pulled it? That's surprising. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #617295 Tue Sep 14 2021 11:33pm
Sheedy773

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately not.

Post #617297 Wed Sep 15 2021 7:38am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I had this with mine. Assuming you accessed the release loop in the centre console, it needs a REALLY hard pull to get it to release. i took a 18" length of steel rod and bent a hook on one end and loop on the other through which I put a length of 1.1/2" timber. For control, my son and I, one each side of the transmission, pulled upwards and it released. Others have used a carabiner through the loop with some rope to extend the release.
As has been said before, if you don't think it's about to break, you're not pulling hard enough. Then put some tape over the switch so you cant apply it (been there, done that)
Mine had a new EPB module replaced under warranty. Good luck

Post #617298 Wed Sep 15 2021 9:13am
Sheedy773

United Kingdom 

Accuator (sp?) Fault.

Only way to get me home is cut the handbrake cable.

Post #617300 Wed Sep 15 2021 10:13am
woodsie

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Mine stuck on about a month ago luckily only about a mile from my indie so was able to drive there.
On strip down he found that one of the linings had separated fron the shoe jamming the brake and stripping the module cogs.
Apparently the module for the 5.0L is a different shape and they were on back order, but now received and should be sorted next week.
Not heard of a lining separating from the shoe(yes they’re glued) on a RRS before but have heard of this on other cars and especially trailers.
Am old enough to remember replacing linings by riveting to the shoe, probably still got some rivets and the 2 shaped tools somewhere in the shed. Progress?

Post #617318 Wed Sep 15 2021 9:56pm
RRSTDV8

Oldandconfused wrote:
I had this with mine. Assuming you accessed the release loop in the centre console, it needs a REALLY hard pull to get it to release. i took a 18" length of steel rod and bent a hook on one end and loop on the other through which I put a length of 1.1/2" timber. For control, my son and I, one each side of the transmission, pulled upwards and it released. Others have used a carabiner through the loop with some rope to extend the release.

For the reference of others, LR thought of this and designed the jacking handle according. Take the two parts of the jacking handle - there is a loop at one end and a hole at the other, thread the second part through the hole and you have a big T with a hook on the end. Catch the loop with the hook and pull up using the big T you've formed. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #617320 Thu Sep 16 2021 8:16am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

L/R are even kind enough to tell you, you need to exert 200N or 45Lbf of force to release it as well. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #617324 Thu Sep 16 2021 9:40am
Sheedy773

United Kingdom 

So,

Recovery £40
Cost to use skates £30
Garage it was recovered to charged £57.50 to cut handbrake cable.

Called my Indie, he's furious that cables been cut, I told him 3 of us tried the manual release to to point three of my fingers had skin ripped off and there was blood everywhere.

He's quoted off top of his head £1200-1400 for new gear and fitting.

Brilliant.

Post #617336 Thu Sep 16 2021 4:35pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Cost me about £1200 when mine siezed, even with cables cut still wouldn't release,,, new disc's, pads, shoes and module needed. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #617342 Thu Sep 16 2021 7:33pm
Sheedy773

United Kingdom 

Dropped off today.

Apparently there's a backlog of parts.

He's got one in the garage but that's for a chap tomorrow, if he doesn't turn up, its mine.

Post #617535 Tue Sep 21 2021 5:14pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If I understand correctly pulling the emergency release cable just disengages a pawl in the actuator to release pressure on the cables, no amount of pulling will release the handbrake shoes if the problem is inside the drum i.e. as mentioned linings coming a drift and jamming. If cutting the cables did not release it the problem must be inside a drum or both so, I would ask the question was there ever a issue with either the cables or module in the first place, and could it be salvaged by just replacing the now cut cables and save some costs. However I could well be wrong in my thinking.

Cheers
Col

Post #617550 Tue Sep 21 2021 10:38pm
RRSTDV8

That's my thoughts on it too, Col. If the issue is in the brake hub rather than the EPB box, then replacing the cut cables and sorting the brake linings should be entirely possible. The cables are replaceable items, after all, and at a fraction of the cost of the whole EPB system. A couple of hundred quid for the cables and then new rear linings (assuming the disc hub unit isn't damaged) ought to be a lot less than the quoted £1200.

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/parking-...2876-c.asp 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #617558 Wed Sep 22 2021 8:20am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I've seen a video where a bloke strips down an UPB module to replace a plastic cog which had stripped teeth. I can't recall if the stripped teeth had caused the jamming or the jamming had stripped the teeth. The point I'm making is if there is damage inside the module then changing the cables alone won't cure the problem.
If you're doing it yourself and have the skill and facilities to do so then it's sensible to explore the reason for the problem. If however you can't, and have to pay a mechanic, it's a bit of a gamble and they may not want to spend hours (your money but they do have other customers) removing and rebuilding your module that may not work/last.

Post #617560 Wed Sep 22 2021 8:33am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

I'm going through the same thing at the moment.
Handbrake had been squealing a few times so I just didn't use it the car's gone in for a. gearbox service and the mechanic offered to have a look at the handbrake.
Turns out, the rear passenger side had been gauging the disc on the side so it now needs new discs, pads and shoes as well as as possibly a new handbrake module Shocked
The mechanic has said they will try to "wind in" the module and it may be salvageable otherwise my "treat" for my car (the gearbox service) is going to turn into a nightmare!
Oh, he also showed me the rear prop shaft which is shot so add that to the bill too!
At 16 years old and 130,000 miles when does it become uneconomical to repair?
The car is still a joy to drive after 5 years of ownership and the mechanic said the rest of it is in great condition so at the very least I hope he can salvage the handbrake module. Will find out this afternoon.
Bill so far is £2,800 if he has to replace the module. Big Cry 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #617571 Wed Sep 22 2021 12:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>