RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Powerful uk roof rail system advice (fitting points?) L320
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black
Powerful uk roof rail system advice (fitting points?) L320

Just tried fitting this powerful uk roof rail kit if anyone has had the same kit fitted and possibly same issues fitting this kit or any other roof rack system?

My problem is with the screws, am i right thinking the plastic bungs come out of the holes on the roof and then the screws go straight in? Or is there a nut that then unscrews first on the roof points?

Reason i ask is the when i started fitting the screws after only 5mm in they got very tight then the allen key just spun! Nightmare had to drill it back out, So i am thinking a few reasons why here but not sure which one if anyone can advise please?

1. These screws are too wide so tighten too quick and dont go in far enough.

2. The screws are too long and 5mm is enough but i dont think so why would the hole go down about 20mm inside?

3. Theres nuts that go into the fixing point that need removing first, mine are covered in a black sealant so i cant tell if they come off and dont want to try and remove what looks like nuts with a thread in the middle and make things worse.

Also the head was of the screw they provide doesnt seem very big for the gap in the rail, I would have expected a big washer or bigger headed screw to make sure the head of the screw doesnt fall between the gap, (see the picture number 5)

Heres a few pictures to try and understand.

Post #615431 Sun Jul 04 2021 2:26pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I’ve got the same kit fitted but didn’t have any issues at all. It’s bouncing Dow here so will look later, but it fits well and has been used multiple times. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #615436 Sun Jul 04 2021 4:28pm
jases4x4

Thats good to hear steve i was just thinking of sending it back for a refund but i might wait to see if i can get some help of here or if powerful uk reply but they have auto responded they only reply via email to queries and i could do with speaking to someone who knows whats happening.

Can you see in my pictures 2 and 3 theres a big amount of the screw that wont go in can you remember if your screws were this long? I have a feeling they’re supplying the wrong screws with the kit cor my 2010 l320.

Post #615437 Sun Jul 04 2021 4:44pm
jases4x4

Just an update for anyone who understands this roof fixing point?

I have just got a photo of how far the screw goes down and you can see its only about a third and this was the end hole when i tried it in the middle hole it only did half of this before the allen key top gave way and rounded off so thats 2 screws in the bin.

As you can see from the black tape its about 2/3 left so the 2 black washers powerful uk send with the clear thin plastic one would not be sufficient to make up this.

You can also see the nuts causing the sealent to crack around it so im guessing thats too tight and could damage the fixing points.

Does anyone know if the thread after the nut keeps going down or is the fixing point basically a nut welded on the top which i find hard to believe to support all the weight?

Post #615441 Sun Jul 04 2021 7:45pm
jases4x4

I have just taken a few screen shots of the fitting video of powerful uk YouTube fitting video and it looks like the ones demonstrated the screws fit through perfect size holes so the full head of the screw is securing the rail down but the ones they have sent me has massive holes which worrys me the screw head could slip through the hole.

You tube pics

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Rails received

Post #615442 Sun Jul 04 2021 8:08pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Sorry messaging from work. Can you put a dip stick down the welded nut to see what’s underneath, then mark it. I would have thought there is something under there but the depth I’ve no idea. Regards your photos showing the head, that doesn’t look right at all. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #615453 Mon Jul 05 2021 3:22pm
jases4x4

Yes the hole goes down further about the full length of these screws supplied but i can only see the threads of this welded nut which looks about 10mm so it dont understand how this roof fixing point works inside of ta too dark, I would have imagined a bracket welded and threads all the way down and not just what looks like a small nut welded on for the hole roof system to be supported by one welded nut is unbelievable so hopefully someone has an idea what i should have and how it works.

Post #615458 Mon Jul 05 2021 4:50pm
jases4x4

Just measured the hole and its exactly 20mm in all of them which is perfect, Now i have also just found the issue aswell as the holes in the rails been too large its the thread on the supplied bolts from powerful uk that is wrong, they’re cross threading or even worse cross threading my fixing points so hopefully no damage done and they can source the correct ones, cant believe they wouldn't get such an important part right!

Post #615460 Mon Jul 05 2021 5:13pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

The thread engagement should be between 1 x dia screw to 1.5 x dia of the screw in steel. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #615463 Mon Jul 05 2021 7:01pm
jases4x4

Thanks Lindab I will send this info to powerful uk, We have basically worked out this for them i am thinking if theres 2 different threads for the sports or if powerful uk have just sent the wrong ones to me but they could cause some damage. Hopefully they send me some new rails without the massive holes aswell the head of the screws is too small for that size hole. Hopefully they will put this right and change orders going forward because from what others have said its a good kit well until i got mine that is.

Post #615466 Mon Jul 05 2021 8:38pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

The actual original rail mounting point in the roof are actualy replaceable and they look like the picture, I have fitted several genuine L/R kits and if I remember correctly the internal thread of the mounting is 6 x 1.5mm cannot remember the exact length of the bolt though, the o.e. kit also has a metal spacer as well as the thin clear plastic washer. Not sure if any of that helps though being a aftermarket kit you have.

Post #615470 Mon Jul 05 2021 11:01pm
jases4x4

Col thats perfect, so am i right thinking the screws powerful have provided should screw into this picture you have privided? This is sealed over so i couldnt see the full detail of what you have shown, Or should i have unscrewed this and replaced it with there screws? Although i find that unlikely because it wasnt in powerful’s youtube video so i presume my first thought is correct?

Post #615471 Mon Jul 05 2021 11:08pm
Col

To fit o.e. rails you do not remove the whole boss, originally from the factory there are plastic blanking plugs fitted to the internal thread part which needs to be removed, however these can break off in the threaded bit so you can't screw the bolt all the way in, hence why have replaced the whole boss as found it easier than trying to remove remaining bit of plastic. The best way to remove the grommets if they are still intact is basically try to unscrew them as opposed to pulling them straight up. Another option is carefully drill the broken plastic bit out, just don't drill all the way through though.

Cheers
Col

Post #615472 Mon Jul 05 2021 11:24pm
jases4x4

Yes mine had the plastic covers i thought oh this is great pull them out and screw the new screws into the boss and hey presto but the threads on the screws powerful sent just tighten up after about 5mm then the allen key head spins into a circle so you have the big problem of getting the screw back out while its in the rail aswell. Its good to know though if the boss are now knackered because of them screws we can atleast replace them. Lets see what powerful come back with its a good job i dont need to sort this very soon its poor service waiting for emails to be replied to and to blame covid for not answering calls is a poor get out if you ask me. Thanks again Col always one to help with the expert knowledge, much appreciated mate 👍

Post #615474 Mon Jul 05 2021 11:35pm
Col

If you do need them part number is AYR500061 were a couple of quid each but that was a while ago.

Cheers
Col

Post #615475 Mon Jul 05 2021 11:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>