RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Powerful uk roof rail system advice (fitting points?) L320
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

jases4x4

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black

This is there reply im not sure what they’re wanting me to check can anyone understand?

Hi,

Thanks for sending over those images.

As our fitting video is an old video, the stock shown is from a previous supplier and so will not be exactly the same as the bars we now supply.

I have reviewed our stock and found that the bolt does not fall through the hole and sits securely. Our bolts are M6 x 25 flange bolts with the head diameter measuring at 13mm.

Could you please check the size of your bolt so that we can ensure you have received the correct parts?

Post #615497 Tue Jul 06 2021 12:19pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

They’re asking to check the size of bolts supplied. If you can measure the shank (threaded bit) on how wide it is, this will give you the M number. Then measure the length of the bolt to give you the second figure. The 13mm referenced is the width of the head at its widest point. Get those figures for what you have and fire back to them.

Perhaps this may be the problem and why mine fitted easily if they’ve changed their stock. Equally give them your number to ring sighting your not that confident on the sizing of the bolts. A conversation is way better than ping pong emails. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #615512 Tue Jul 06 2021 7:42pm
jases4x4

Agree steve, I keep asking them to ring this is ridiculous service imo, They will only communicate through emails so just trying to work out what they want me to do is a task in itself. Thanks for that i will measure what you said, they have replied again and said the photo i sent them of my boss looks like rust in the threads which i can see up close its not, they have had the plastic caps on and never used. I might end up buying 6 new boss and 6 proper screws from land rover at this rate, Powerful have offered to send some more of their screws but like i have said the allen key heads just round off as soon as it starts getting tight. They also suggested i use a tap set and re tap the thread so their screws fit.

Post #615521 Tue Jul 06 2021 9:37pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think when I said the thread was 6mm dia. x 1.5 pitch that is wrong. There is metric fine thread and metric coarse. The pitch being 0.75 fine and 1.0 coarse on 6mm screws if I have that right this time, the standard I think would be 6mm dia. by 1.0 pitch might be worth checking the have not sent the wrong pitch screws i.e. fine instead of course or visa versa, which obviously when screwing them in they would go tight.

Cheers
Co

Post #615523 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:07pm
jases4x4

From what i can see Col, the thread on these screws look slightly wider apart then the thread in the boss. Is this what you’re talking about with the course?

Post #615526 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:24pm
Col

Yes it is, I have to admit though I can't remember if the original boss thread is metric course or metric fine though.

Cheers
Col

Post #615527 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:32pm
jases4x4

Thats very helpful though Col, I have sent them what you wrote and basically im going to ask them to send 2 sets if they have them. I can then try both threads and let them know so they can update their orders for other customers going forward. They did say im the only one whos ever had issues which i find hard to believe but hey ho what ever, aslong as we sort it. Failing that i will go to a local bolt shop with all the info provided off this thread and get some stronger ones with a bigger head because im not happy the heads of the screws they supply are not been big enough now the holes are alot bigger then they need to be in the rails because they have a different manufacturer who for some reason makes the holes massive and not 7mm for the 6mm screws, probably so the rails are more universal but for me thats not good quality.

Post #615528 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:41pm
jases4x4

Col wrote:
Yes it is, I have to admit though I can't remember if the original boss thread is metric course or metric fine though.

Cheers
Col

Looking at this, I would say the boss thread is fine and the screws they sent is course, Thats what i did spot when i was trying to screw their screws in they looked slightly wider and its all making sense now 👍

Post #615529 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:44pm
Col

Will admit the hole in the rail does look rather large against the size of the screw head in the picture you posted, could you possibly use some large area heavy duty washers under the head of the screw if there is room? assuming you get the correct screws.

Cheers
Col

Post #615530 Tue Jul 06 2021 11:47pm
jases4x4

Thats an idea i will try, Just it could stop the cross rails sliding in the rail though, I suppose this is why they’re £300 cheaper then originals. But i am thinking its prob worth it for the quality and less hassle.

Post #615531 Wed Jul 07 2021 12:06am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Put a little blue tak against some of the hole to make an impression of the thread. Then compare it with the screws to save faffing about. Then hopefully it’s immediately apparent if it’s like for like. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #615539 Wed Jul 07 2021 9:10am
jases4x4

Any idea guys if the screws go into the boss nuts about 10mm deep does this sound about right and deep enough?

The ones Powerful uk sent me would only go in 10mm so i had to use about 5mm of washes to make the slack up but even after doing this i still have a little bouncing movement when the cross bars are loaded with the weight from my tent so i have emailed powerful uk if they supply a shorted bolt the ones they send are 25mm long but like i mentioned only 10 mm goes into the boss nuts until its too tight and the allen key head rounds off.

So im trying to find out 2 answers does 10mm sound enough for a secure rail and fully loaded and can anyone recall if the original bolts Land rover use are about 25mm long or is there a website that would tell us?

Thanks for the advice as always!

Post #616766 Mon Aug 23 2021 6:52pm
Col

On O.E rails there is actualy a metal spacer used as well.

Cheers
Col

Post #616772 Mon Aug 23 2021 10:08pm
jases4x4

Col this is exactly what i have been discussing with Powerful uk, This rail and cross bar kit is identical to the OE kit but it seems the fittings are not and this washer with the OE KIT looks about 5mm thick the ones powerful send are plastic and only 1mm so this explains the slack and movement, Powerful have sent me some new bolts i think they’re 5 mm shorter then the original ones they sent so this should mean i get a tight fit, Just are these metal spaces a must im not sure and i dont have them so I emailed Rimmerbros who cant order the fitting kit it only comes with the rails if you purchase them direct apparently.

Post #616801 Tue Aug 24 2021 10:32pm
jases4x4

Thats exactly whats needed Col Cheers

Post #616802 Tue Aug 24 2021 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>