RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wheel bearing/Driveshaft/Props/Front Lower Arms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MarcMGD

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black
Wheel bearing/Driveshaft/Props/Front Lower Arms

Hi All,

I am getting a wheel bearing type noise which is getting worse, it feels worse when I go round a left hand bend and load up the OSF bearing so thinking bearing. I can feel it through the wheel in terms of steering like a rotational whom whom whom when driving. Although not as bad in a straight line as on a bend. Have rebalanced my wheels at work as well and came up OK.

I have new front and rear arbs and links waiting to go on. I have changed front diff transfer and rear diff oils previously.

I have had new discs and pads from Advanced Factors Meyle kit. Car is on 124k has full service history but no receipts to show a wheel bearing ever being replaced. Could it just be that both fronts are due a change and that the OSF is dying first?

I have a little play in my lower arms but not convinced this is causing the problems as its 100% rotational and relative to wheel speed as the faster I go the worse it gets and I don't have a change when the box is in neutral? My rear prop is showing signs of wear but can't so far work out how to test if it is this? Haven't looked at smaller front prop.

I'm really looking for some advice as I am happy to spend money on money on car but not in a position to just throw it at it if you get my drift?

Really thinking wheel bearing but don't want to jump the gun and assessing if anyone has any other suggestions?

Any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated

Last edited by MarcMGD on Sat Jun 12 2021 10:06am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614180 Tue Jun 01 2021 7:39pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Just had the OSF wheel bearing changed on mine at 118k.

Have you physically checked it? There will be play if you jack up that corner and wiggle the wheel whilst holding it at opposite sides. You might even feel the bearing is knackered if you take off the wheel and hand turn the hub. Free to do so got to be a starter if not already done. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614191 Tue Jun 01 2021 10:30pm
MarcMGD

Hi mate,

I changed my discs and pads myself, I already had the noise before I done it and it hasn't got any worse. I checked the bearings and shaft for play at the time and have checked them twice since both on my own and with someone. I haven't checked rear bearings though but really feels OSF Location. I do get a slight one when turning right and loading the passenger side but nothing like that drivers side.

I have researched and read on here that bearings don't always show play on the push me pull me tests?

What bearings did you go for in the end? I really like the Meyle stuff and noticed they are in stock on advanced factors.

Post #614193 Tue Jun 01 2021 11:02pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My indie fitted genuine item. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614198 Wed Jun 02 2021 1:18am
MarcMGD

Anyone have anything else I need to look at? Any chance it's driftshaft or cv joint related?

Post #614337 Fri Jun 04 2021 11:27pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Had issues with mine when I first bought it,, had about 82k on the clock. I replaced all discs and pads as they were really bad but still had a rumbling noise on right hand corners. Had lower front arms done and both front bearings,,, the difference was night and day,, like driving a new car, front end far more responsive and no more rumbles or rattles. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #614374 Sat Jun 05 2021 9:17pm
MarcMGD

I have ordered a new wheel bearing which I will fit on Friday I'll keep this thread updated with how I go. I will then confirm if there is any improvement.

Post #614603 Wed Jun 09 2021 9:20pm
MarcMGD

Just to update this for others, I changed my drivers front wheel bearing today for a new Meyle one from Advanced Factors. It took about 45-hour and saved a few £'s.

My bearing had no play in it or very very minimal but on rotating it once removed from the vehicle it noticed that it made a horrible noise and had alot of resistance vs the new one.

I'll order a new passenger side one and replace this in the next few days/ week just so it's all fresh at the front end.

Arbs and drop links all round and front arms to follow.

Thanks everyone

Post #614696 Fri Jun 11 2021 9:22pm
MarcMGD

Just to update this further, changed my rear drop links and bushes a few weeks ago, just done my lower front arms today didn't managed to get it tracked but went off the old markings will get it tracked on a hunter Tuesday on the people next door to work. Not a job for the feint hearted but easily manageable if you have a decent recip saw decent blades.

Front drop links and bushes to follow along with new tie rod and track rod ends. I will do front uppers rear uppers and lowers within the next few months. It's cost effective to do them at once due to the expensive tracking but luckily next door owe me a few favours so they can help me out.

Had some aggro with my wheel bolts what wheel bolts is everyone else using when they have needed to replace them? Also looking for new tyres any recommendations?

Thanks all

Post #616858 Sat Aug 28 2021 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1