RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > New Android auto 12.1 Tesla for RRS 05-09
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

So ongoing discussions with the Engineer via the sales guy and it's clear that the OEM display will not be display/ function on this unit.

However, they do pull all sorts of information from the car systems via the CANbus. This is displayed on the Car Info screen:

Click image to enlarge

As per the picture it should show all the same info and more than the 4x4 info screen when connected. I'm trying to get an image of this. Also trying to get an image of it in split screen mode to see what it shows.

Issues are obviously, it shows a Lotus Evora?? instead of a Range Rover Sport. I'm trying to get an answer to whether the image changes when plugged into a Range Rover or if it can be changed through the system settings. EG defining the car as a Range Rover Sport... Yet to get an answer on that. However, I have some hope it can as different suppliers are showing different cars Lotus, Bently, Toyota are ones I've seen.

Also, it's been confirmed the finish is gloss black, which suits me but probably not others. AOSTR unit seems to be some sort of dark grey finish.

It also comes with the Passenger Airbag warning ight and icon. I don't liker the black Hazard Warning LIght switch. But I can get that changed by painting or wrapping it red/ orange myself.

Now trying to find out if the system uses a 3rd party external mic, or the OEM one, as I can't see a mic bundled with the cables supplied. There is an internal mic on the front of the unit, but these are generally Censored . Obviously important for telephony and voice commands.

Following on I'm trying to establish what vioce commands work. Obviously, they have stated the voice button to the left of the steering wheel doesn't work. I presume because it is seperate from the other SWCs. However, if the unit accepts voice commands and SWCs can be programmed there is a way aroiund this. Namely, use the 'hard' Mode button on the stereo to switch sources and use the SWC Mode button for voice. The problem with this is you need a 3rd party app to programme the Mode button to cycle your choice of apps and not the default ones. But it can be done without rooting the unit.

Also from experience FYT units seem to have a problem with Google Assistant and voice commands so this may not work anyway on the stereo itself, but will work on Android Auto, as I've tried and tested this.

Pricewise I'm down to USD580 plus shipping whic h totals USD770 for me, way better than what AOTSR from the OP quotes.

So I'm thinking I'll be a guineapig if I get my contract extension here, which I'll know in 2 weeks.

Any final thoughts questions to those who may be interested?

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #603067 Mon Aug 10 2020 9:12am
mgrover

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

how are you connecting it to audio? is it via the fibre optic network? or are you using the decoder?

Post #603099 Mon Aug 10 2020 3:29pm
Guyzer73

Via a fibre optic decoder and DSP. I believe the CANbus has some input in control also but not sure. 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #603101 Mon Aug 10 2020 4:14pm
Guyzer73

Contract extension came through đŸ˜€

So contacted seller to clarify a few things.

1. It comes with internal mic only... Uhh, but I think an external mic can be connected, even possibly the OEM one. I'll see.

2. The Car Info screen doesn't work in split screen mode. A shame but not a show stopper.

3. If as stated it's based on FYT software then I think the voice command button will work. I've got it working currently a bit haphazardly but hopeful to sort it out.

4. Having chatted with some FYT gurus on XDA they are confident that should the car images not changeable then by unpackaging specific apps etc you should be able to 'insert' and correct image. Warranty gone but hey ho that's the way it goes.

5. Final price including shipping was US$750, incl. US$170 shipping with DHL, this is to Muscat Oman. Delivery time 10 days from payment.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and placed an order. Due to be shipped today so should have it in less than 2 weeks.

I will say for now the company and sales person I've dealt with are very good. I've communicated via Alibaba messenger, email and WhatsApp to get the necessary information. Only ever waited a few hours for a response. English language knowledge seems pretty good. Once I receive the item and have it installed I will disclose more, but, like Mrluke, until then I'll refrain from posting.

All I will say is don't but from AOSTR they seem over priced and unable to respond to the technical queries.

Will update here once received.

Any questions now or later welcome.

Finally, thanks to the OP, Range78, for putting me on the track. Let's see where the journey goes....

Post #603264 Fri Aug 14 2020 5:29am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I can walk you through unpacking and packing the apps, I have changed multiple things using this method on my unit Thumbs Up

Very interested to see what you get.

Post #603268 Fri Aug 14 2020 8:06am
Guyzer73

Cheers Gerd Thumbs Up

I've done some packing/ unpacking with my existing Joying unit to stop apps being killed, but I will certainly be getting back to you I'm sure.

I'm also intrigued what I will receive and the quality of the build. I don't have high hopes for the software as it's FYT based, but, at least there's plenty on the web about modifying it along with PX6 chips.

I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks or so...

How's your build coming along by the way?

Post #603272 Fri Aug 14 2020 8:39am
Gerd1986

To be honest I havent done anything further, It works. I only use DABZ for radio when it starts up then Waze and Spotify.

If I had the time I would:

Try and change the top menu to only show Waze, Spotify, OEM screen and settings.
    Find a matte screen protector that fits
    Try and change the mileage to MPH
    Change the range rover car on screen to black (it's brown)
    Rewire the back after MrLukes insight so I don't have to use the aux input and wire it directly in.

Post #603275 Fri Aug 14 2020 9:13am
Guyzer73

Getting packed ready for DHL

2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #603280 Fri Aug 14 2020 12:28pm
Gerd1986

After reading through this thread fully:

"Another thing that's clear from the videos is that the stereo DOES NOT control the AC, again contrary to the info I recieved. But I don't mind that. He didn't connect those cables only for the head unit and hazard warning lights, where you seem to lose functionality depending on your set-up."

"6. AC works over CAN Bus on screen, but not sure about additional functions. SLIGHT CONCERN AS OEM AC CONTROLS PRESENT"

Mine does not control the AC, the AC popup shows everything including temperature but will not let me press on anything, I need to use the hardware controls.

"It would seem it comes with a dedicated CANBUS broker so steering wheel controls should work, even though the video shows a 2005-09 model with a later 2010 steering wheel."

My Steering wheel controls work, I can skip songs on Spotify and increase/decrease volume etc.

Hope this helps.

Post #603281 Fri Aug 14 2020 12:50pm
Range78

France 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Guyzer73 wrote:
Contract extension came through đŸ˜€

So contacted seller to clarify a few things.

1. It comes with internal mic only... Uhh, but I think an external mic can be connected, even possibly the OEM one. I'll see.

2. The Car Info screen doesn't work in split screen mode. A shame but not a show stopper.

3. If as stated it's based on FYT software then I think the voice command button will work. I've got it working currently a bit haphazardly but hopeful to sort it out.

4. Having chatted with some FYT gurus on XDA they are confident that should the car images not changeable then by unpackaging specific apps etc you should be able to 'insert' and correct image. Warranty gone but hey ho that's the way it goes.

5. Final price including shipping was US$750, incl. US$170 shipping with DHL, this is to Muscat Oman. Delivery time 10 days from payment.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and placed an order. Due to be shipped today so should have it in less than 2 weeks.

I will say for now the company and sales person I've dealt with are very good. I've communicated via Alibaba messenger, email and WhatsApp to get the necessary information. Only ever waited a few hours for a response. English language knowledge seems pretty good. Once I receive the item and have it installed I will disclose more, but, like Mrluke, until then I'll refrain from posting.

All I will say is don't but from AOSTR they seem over priced and unable to respond to the technical queries.

Will update here once received.

Any questions now or later welcome.

Finally, thanks to the OP, Range78, for putting me on the track. Let's see where the journey goes....

Guy

thank you Guyzer73 for your involvement with the supplier to obtain all the necessary information.
So I am also impatient for you to receive your order in order to have a real feedback on this unit. I'm sure she'll satisfy you. following your recommendations I would surely place an order as well. See you soon.

Post #603293 Fri Aug 14 2020 5:29pm
Guyzer73

Gerd1986 wrote:
After reading through this thread fully:

"Another thing that's clear from the videos is that the stereo DOES NOT control the AC, again contrary to the info I recieved. But I don't mind that. He didn't connect those cables only for the head unit and hazard warning lights, where you seem to lose functionality depending on your set-up."

"6. AC works over CAN Bus on screen, but not sure about additional functions. SLIGHT CONCERN AS OEM AC CONTROLS PRESENT"

Mine does not control the AC, the AC popup shows everything including temperature but will not let me press on anything, I need to use the hardware controls.

"It would seem it comes with a dedicated CANBUS broker so steering wheel controls should work, even though the video shows a 2005-09 model with a later 2010 steering wheel."

My Steering wheel controls work, I can skip songs on Spotify and increase/decrease volume etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Gerd,

Only a couple week's and we'll see what works and doesn't. Not really fussed over AC. If it works, great. If not a big issue. With the SWC I'm confident it'll work.

Time will tell I guess.

Cheers

Post #603326 Sat Aug 15 2020 3:21pm
zeb crs

Norway 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I got mine Yesterday.
It looks really good though I have not had the chance to install it yet.
Can confirm it comes with CAN bus adapter and MOST interface. The MOST interface says it will lose fade front to back function.
I am really looking forward playing with this.
I will just do some Can bus analysing first as I will finish my Raspberry Can analyser today.
My plan was to get all 4x4 codes and other stuff I might find useful to display on the screen.
I have tried to get som programming info using the CAnbus adapter that comes with it but no luck.
I have the Chinese install manual here and an installation video.
I'll post it here.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wvf04du2i37ok4u...Y4Eqa?dl=0

Post #603462 Wed Aug 19 2020 5:37pm
Guyzer73

zeb crs Nice to here. Mine arrived just now also.

Have to say well packaged and finish quality looks good. As I'm not looking at doping the same as you with the CANbus reader I hope to get it installed this weekend.

EDIT - Forgot to mention delivery was planned for 10 days arrived after 4 and was delivered at 8am on the 5th day. All in all very good. Had to pay import duty, but that was expected.

Couple of photos boxed and of finish:

Will post more photos of build etc over the weekend as I have time.

Cheers

Post #603484 Thu Aug 20 2020 8:20am
Guyzer73

So first impressions...

Generally, very good. But this should be qualified because I have had a lot of experience with Android units in the past.

Firstly, one thing not even Pioneer et al can complete with is that the unit is properly Plug 'n' Play with not soldering, crimping etc needed. Just connect the OEM stereo connector and the hazard connector, plus the new head units 4G, GPS and RCA outlets and it works. Obviously, it's not that simple as you need to cut the dash, which is irreversible.

Secondly, the short comings:
1. The 4G aerial comes with a 4G+ and 4G- connector, however, the head unit only has a 4G+ connection available. I've connected both an existing 4G aerial and the one supplied and the signal inside the garage is still full, so don't think it's a problem.
2. The fit around the AC vents is poor. I will need to see how this can be rectified.
3. Can't get the AC controls to display, let alone work.
4. The hardware button colour doesn't seem to want to be set to green, only white. This seems to be a common fault with FYT units and there are work arounds I believe.
5. The park sensors seem handed left to right on the display when in reverse.
6. The right hand button/dial does nothing, but this could be linked to the AC.
7. vehicle graphics can't be changed. Will need to research this as other units do show a Range Rover/ LR4. See Gerd's thread.
8. No true 4x4 info screen, it's part of the Car Info app.
9. You must have the OEM AC controls installed as without the largest connector connected the system doesn't work. Censored There go my plans... at least for the moment.
10. Had the designed the connectors better you could reduce the cable spaghetti, however, the system does work for all models of the Sport and theoretically LR3 (if you got Sport AC vents).
11. Some of the screen is hidden by the fascia. It will get worse the nearer you sit to the dash. For me not a problem.
12. It seems the screen is very slightly hidden by the trim, also pressing home and back are to be learnt because of the depth of the return.

Thirdly, good things found:
1. Screen dimming works using the light switch. Something that isn't the case with other FYT units.
2. Car Info works, but, is limited to the app, which only works in full screen not split screen.
3. Basically, plug and play.
4. Screen is bright and accurate.
5. CPU and touch response is fast up there with a good smartphone or tablet.
6. GPS accurate.
7. Sound quality on a par with the OEM system
8. You can balance front to rear via the equaliser, but I think all it does is reduce front volume, as the rear doesn't increase. But that's ok
9. It has 4G and automatically launches the WiFi hot spot, so WiFi for all in the car.
10. Starts from the second you insert the key, like OEM. Therefore, radio plays within 2 secs, screen on in similar time.
11. Piano black finish is very good, as it the general build quality, ignoring the inaccuracy of the vents.

That's it for now, here some pictures:

Gaping hole:

Trial fit:

Problem with 4G aerial:

Fitted with AC vents, and switched on:

AC vent fitting issue:

That's all for now, I'll report back after tinkering some.

Please note that if you did this time to installation would be under 1 hour estimated to removed OEM equipment, cut the central dash cross member and then connect and install the new stereo. At least that's what I think as it took me 30 minutes.

As for a recommendation, currently it's a without prejudice yes. Let's see how the customer service is now that I've bought and received the unit to resolve some of the niggles and problems.
Any questions, requests please fire away.

Post #603541 Fri Aug 21 2020 10:13am
idi

United Kingdom 

Looks great. I'm also tempted but the lack of AC controls is a big problem for me as I use it often. Is there a workaround for it?

Do the steering controls work? How is the general usability of the device. e.g. menus, settings, music playback etc?

Post #603546 Fri Aug 21 2020 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>