RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Aftermarket head unit install question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Fire1

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Aftermarket head unit install question

I am going to install a complete incartec pioneer head unit with the fitting kit, double din surround/ wiring etc.
Part of the specification states that you lose your subwoofer by fitting this kit and need to purchase an additional amp.
Please excuse my ignorance I am not an expert on multimedia/ audio systems nor familiar with the technical terms at all but what I can do is follow instructions!

My question is do I HAVE to have this amp to complete the install or can I run without the subwoofer?
Also for an amateur is it wise to attempt fitting this system or will I regret it once it’s all apart haha, how difficult is it?

Car is a 2006 4.2 with logic 7.

Thanks all.

Post #598497 Mon May 04 2020 12:34am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

You know you loose the top display and Nav

You may consider this item so all speakers work

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic55450.html

Post #598500 Mon May 04 2020 6:58am
mgrover

i tried to collate everything I learned into one post here https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic55744.html

Post #598507 Mon May 04 2020 9:20am
Fire1

Andy K wrote:
You know you loose the top display and Nav

You may consider this item so all speakers work

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic55450.html

Hi thank you, the description for the product says the nav and screen remain but you lose the nav sound is that what you meant?

Post #598514 Mon May 04 2020 10:29am
Andy K

No.

As the display gets all the data from the fibre optic.

And the LR headunit is the source for the data to broadcast on the optic, so the display will just be stuck on the LR logo.

Post #598517 Mon May 04 2020 12:02pm
Eskimo

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

As i understand it with this kit from Incartech you retain the use of the Nav/Info screen and just the sub stops working, unless you fit the additional Amp as suggested:

https://incartec.co.uk/product/RR-Sport-Di...-retention

As for running without the Sub, it'll be fine, it just won't have as much bass (obviously) so depends on how you like your music.

HTH 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)
1999 Discovery 4.0 V8 (Gone but not forgotten)
1997 Range Rover 3.5 V8 (Long gone now)
1966 Series II SWB with RR 3.5 V8 (Never finished, now sold)

Post #598520 Mon May 04 2020 1:29pm
mgrover

that is correct but imo the sub makes a big diff but thats just my taste Smile

i also had issues with the wheel controls with the retention kit because I think the LR head unit was capturing them. but others say they got it to work without making any changes so who knows

Post #598522 Mon May 04 2020 1:55pm
Eskimo

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

MG I'm the same, All about the BASS!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm thinking of ditching the screen completely and fitting a double din head unit, and then some amps under the seats, probably won't take much longer and can then run decent cabling to the speakers. Might even see if I can get some aftermarket custom fit speakers to try and improve things a little more.

This obviously has to be signed off by SWMBO Bow down Bow down Bow down , so will probably never actually happen Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter but it's good to plan/dream 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)
1999 Discovery 4.0 V8 (Gone but not forgotten)
1997 Range Rover 3.5 V8 (Long gone now)
1966 Series II SWB with RR 3.5 V8 (Never finished, now sold)

Post #598524 Mon May 04 2020 2:06pm
Andy K

The incartec is expensive for what it is.
The only cleaver bit seams to be steering wheel controls.
Can you still change the dash settings with it ?

To keep the display working, you keep the rear of the head unit connected.

Post #598545 Mon May 04 2020 7:26pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 
Re: Aftermarket head unit install question

Fire1 wrote:
I am going to install a complete incartec pioneer head unit with the fitting kit, double din surround/ wiring etc.
Part of the specification states that you lose your subwoofer by fitting this kit and need to purchase an additional amp.
Please excuse my ignorance I am not an expert on multimedia/ audio systems nor familiar with the technical terms at all but what I can do is follow instructions!

My question is do I HAVE to have this amp to complete the install or can I run without the subwoofer?
Also for an amateur is it wise to attempt fitting this system or will I regret it once it’s all apart haha, how difficult is it?

Thanks all.

Mines almost the same as yours although 2005 SC with Logic 7 and I changed the head unit for a Pioneer double din one and got all the kit from Incartec so that I could keep the Nav screen (more for aesthetics showing 4x4 info than functionality as now I use Waze or Maps in Apple carPlay by connecting my phone to the head unit. I bought a separate amp (for about £80) and fitted it under the rear drivers side seat keep the subwoofer.
From memory, using this method all you lose is the centre speaker for the Nav (not noticeable).
DEFINITELY get the subwoofer powered, don't lose it, it's worth it!
I've been really happy with whole set up although after 2 years the steering wheel controls seemed to have stopped working for some reason but I haven't explored why yet.
There's lot's of posts on here about these installs and IncarTec send really good instructions and are really helpful.
Also spend £10-£20 on a decent trim removal set for the inner console and stereo surround parts.
Running the cables was the trickiest bit (especially to the amp) but it's not too bad!Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Click image to enlarge
 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #598552 Mon May 04 2020 9:36pm
Andy K

Do the speakers in the rear roof work ?

Post #598554 Mon May 04 2020 9:46pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

All the speakers in mine work apart from the centre dash one (which if I'm correct is only for the NAV sound anyway).
I know others complain about the sound systems but it suits me just fine for pootling around but is also capable of some serious internal organ punishment when required! Thumbs Up

Edit;Now I'm not sure I have speakers in the rear roof Rolling with laughter I'll go out and check tomorrow! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #598556 Mon May 04 2020 9:59pm
Fire1

Re: Aftermarket head unit install question

Scrumpy wrote:
Fire1 wrote:

Thanks all.

Mines almost the same as yours although 2005 SC with Logic 7 and I changed the head unit for a Pioneer double din one and got all the kit from Incartec so that I could keep the Nav screen (more for aesthetics showing 4x4 info than functionality as now I use Waze or Maps in Apple carPlay by connecting my phone to the head unit. I bought a separate amp (for about £80) and fitted it under the rear drivers side seat keep the subwoofer.
From memory, using this method all you lose is the centre speaker for the Nav (not noticeable).
DEFINITELY get the subwoofer powered, don't lose it, it's worth it!
I've been really happy with whole set up although after 2 years the steering wheel controls seemed to have stopped working for some reason but I haven't explored why yet.
There's lot's of posts on here about these installs and IncarTec send really good instructions and are really helpful.
Also spend £10-£20 on a decent trim removal set for the inner console and stereo surround parts.
Running the cables was the trickiest bit (especially to the amp) but it's not too bad!Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Click image to enlarge

Thanks for the info, I have done most of the top part around the head unit I have the seat to tackle tomorrow.
Just a couple more questions if I may- the amp is under the drivers seat isn’t it and not the rear seats? If so did you have to remove the seat to fit the loom? When you fitted the loom where did you route it to reach centre console?
TIA.

Post #599189 Fri May 22 2020 10:00pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Hi, glad you're making progress.

Yes, you're correct the amp is under the drivers seat and you have to disconnect it and plug in the new part of the loom and run the cables to where you want the replacement amp (I think).
The best place for me was under the rear drivers side seat as it seemed the easiest (although not that easy) place to get the wires to as I think you also need to run cables from the head unit to the amp as well.
You definitely don't need to remove the drivers seat, just move it as far forwards as possible so you can reach the connectors at the back of the seat and take a picture of the amp connectors before you start as it's a bit fiddly down there!

Good luck and keep us posted please. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue

Post #599190 Fri May 22 2020 11:31pm
Fire1

Well I finally got it in! A few struggles but not too bad.
Seems to work ok only problem is my front speakers now don’t work! No idea why so
That’s something I’ll now have to look into! :-/

Post #599205 Sat May 23 2020 5:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1