RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Anyone hardwired a dashcam in L494?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567

Dobby

United Kingdom 

BigBen wrote:
The only visible wiring is a couple of inches from the camera to the plastic trim round the base of the window. The fitter has managed to hide all the wiring and fed it through existing trunking into roof trim so no looped wiring at the top of the boot lid. A very neat job.

How did he get the wire from behind the rear window trim to the camera, does your trim pop off? Mine seems like it's moulded on, and won't budge.

Post #555626 Wed May 02 2018 8:42pm
PDC

United Kingdom 

arwV8 wrote:
also like others in the thread found, the cover will on fit on the upper fuses with a piggy back fuse carrier, so I used a 8mm blue crimp open end crimp terminal - the blades are same thickess and pitch as the mini fuses, and used an UNUSED (F3) fuse position these have a plastic blanking insert (as there is no wire on the other side) but has a slot on the side that the fuse would normally protect, and I put an inline fuse to my smart supply box.The cover will fit with the wire routed correctly.

Hi ARWV8, Did you manage to get all of your gubbins behind the glovebox out of sight rather than having to installing it in the glovebox because of the lack of space.

Cheers, Paul. 2010 RR 5.0 Autobiography
2020 F-Pace SV
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2015 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2008 RRS HST V8

Post #555641 Wed May 02 2018 9:54pm
BigBen

United Kingdom 

Dobby wrote:
BigBen wrote:
The only visible wiring is a couple of inches from the camera to the plastic trim round the base of the window. The fitter has managed to hide all the wiring and fed it through existing trunking into roof trim so no looped wiring at the top of the boot lid. A very neat job.

How did he get the wire from behind the rear window trim to the camera, does your trim pop off? Mine seems like it's moulded on, and won't budge.

Not sure as did not see him do it. However I know he had to use a fish wire to do some of it and he said it was awkward. He drilled a hole in the trim to feed wire to camera and put a rubber grommet in the drilled hole.

Post #555670 Thu May 03 2018 12:44pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

Audiofile-InCar in Bishops Stortford do a lot of these installs and have some cool sample work of what they've done - will be booking my car in for one.

Rgds
Prashan

Post #555672 Thu May 03 2018 2:07pm
Dobby

United Kingdom 

BigBen wrote:
He drilled a hole in the trim to feed wire to camera and put a rubber grommet in the drilled hole.

Gotcha, thanks. Thats what I suspected.

Post #555706 Thu May 03 2018 8:31pm
arwV8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Bonatti Grey

Hi PDC, apologies for the delay in responding, been off the grid for a while.
To answer your question , yes i did get it all behind th glove box. Had to giggle the power box to find a comfortable position that the glove box did' t pinch anything. I bought a dvr power box with 3m main cord ( they are 3m black lead and 1m red and black ) . Dont just put behind the glove box as , in mine , for instance, is a moving louvre for the aiircon system.
I shall be modifying my installation to have a powerup when ignition on and park mode by a simple power select switch (with led) . The dvr power box has a low v cut off.this is relatively easy install as the spare always hot fuse is in the same area.and the switch can be installed in the glove box.

Last edited by arwV8 on Sat Jul 07 2018 9:43pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #559136 Sat Jun 16 2018 3:35pm
PDC

United Kingdom 

Hi arwV8,

Thank you for your reply and it has proved useful. It's great to know before I start that everything can be done from behind the glovebox and kept out of sight. I wanted the Power Magic Pro hard wired and out of the way and so glad to hear it will all fit. Thumbs Up 2010 RR 5.0 Autobiography
2020 F-Pace SV
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2015 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2008 RRS HST V8

Post #559545 Thu Jun 21 2018 11:24pm
Pakolainen

Finland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Rimini Red

I went for the installation in the rear boot fuse box. Have run the cables to front down the right havd side of the car and then will run down the left habd side for the rear camera.
However, when the stop/start is on and the car shuts down at the lights, it doesn’t take too long before the camera shuts down. Its supposed to be permanenrly on - even in park mode. But the diagram for the rear fuse box seems to be missing. And from what i can determine. The diagram for the front fuse box doesnm’t tally up with the diagram anyway.

Any one able to offer suggestion

Thanks 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2014 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Dynamic
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Alfa Romeo Guillietta 2.0 JTDM 2011
Mazda 3 1.6 2010
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX 2005

Post #560900 Sat Jul 07 2018 9:04am
arwV8

I will be probing around with a Digital Volt meter as I'm going to put a rear cam in to. Autonomous one though as can get a 10hr + loop on it as stand alone. There are so many options with the RRS, the fuse boxes seem to have some fits but not all , what I would call the max fit options but with blanks for the version purchased. the front fuse box has stuff marked NF, but there is a voltage there hence my earlier thread notes. Will post what I findings when my camera turns up and the install is planned.

Post #560933 Sat Jul 07 2018 9:41pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

The power management unit does clever things so make sure you are testing long after the car has been locked and shutdown. I remember with my old HST the Tracker was initially connected to the power for the trailer plug. After 5 minutes of driving the power unit would realise no trailer was connected and turn off the power. 

Post #560934 Sat Jul 07 2018 11:10pm
arwV8

Good point Phil. I found the same when looking for power for dash cam on when ignition on only. and ignition +5 mins ish and so on, I found a node that stayed up for 15 to 20 minutes.

Post #561020 Mon Jul 09 2018 3:47pm
Pakolainen

Finland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Rimini Red

The wife had a new GPS tracker fitted (that tracks her driving for kilometre reimbursements) and the old one was not used. Since then my camera is now on long after ignition is switched off and also the 2 cigar lighter sockets that didn't work now do.

This now enabled me to install the rear view camera, albeit with the loop of cable. Will get some pics up later. Just spent 8 days in Crete and it all worked marvellously. Just a slight warning from the car that battery was low. But as we were driving home it didn't take long for it disappear.

cheers 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2014 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Dynamic
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Alfa Romeo Guillietta 2.0 JTDM 2011
Mazda 3 1.6 2010
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX 2005

Post #562121 Fri Jul 27 2018 12:55pm
PDC

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

I just thought I would add the fitting of a BlackVue 750s dash cam to my MY19 RRS to this thread. Mainly because I have noticed that the fusebox in the luggage compartment is now different to MY15 models.
Running the cable from the front to the rear luggage compartment was so easy and only took 10 minutes to do so.

As you can see I ran the cable between the headlining and the screen and along under the door seals. (see photos) I removed one 13mm bolt to the rear panel (see photo) and eased up the panel sufficiently enough to feed the power plug underneath and pulled through any excess cable.
I used add a circuit piggy back plugs “and I can confirm that JLR are still using Micro2 fuses” to fuse F33, which on my model year is a permanent Live to the Rear Wiper.
The second connection which is a switched live that is needed is taken from fuse F16 the Trailer Socket feed. It is not an ignition live but does become live while the engine is running. “I didn’t envisage it being a problem not having power to the Dash Cam while the ignition was on only”
I used these fuses because they both 15 amp fuses “I wouldn’t go below that fuse rating” and the main reason was that they were not the feeds to anything important. There are a few fuses that supply power to the infotainment screens etc. I purposely didn’t use these just incase I have a problem with the infotainment system in the future and JLR try to link the problem with me tapping off of those fuses.
The dash cam has been fitted for a few days now and I can confirm that everything is working as expected and would also certainly recommend the BlackVue 750s.
I hope that this will add a little more to this thread and be beneficial to anyone with newer models and the different fusebox layout.

2010 RR 5.0 Autobiography
2020 F-Pace SV
2018 RRS HSE Dynamic 3.0
2015 Disco XXV
2011 Disco 3.0
2008 RRS HST V8

Post #566523 Tue Oct 09 2018 3:00pm
ashie2

United Kingdom 

@philmw Please can you share with me too? In exactly the same predicament. Trying to hardware my BlackView

Many thanks

Post #601849 Thu Jul 16 2020 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567