RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Anyone hardwired a dashcam in L494?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>

fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the write-up. I lost out on a competitively priced Thinkware F750 (front and rear) on the forum and was on the lookout for one to upgrade my Blackvue 500 (front only). I guess I'll just stick with the current one for now. Lane departure and speed camera warnings were the main features that attracted me to Thinkware. If I can't use lane departure warning due to not being able to position it centrally (don't want to have it on the driver's side) then it isn't worth upgrading for me. The other issues you mentioned also helped with that decision.

When my Blackvue breaks, I will see what 2 Channel alternatives are available at that time Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #483057 Mon Dec 21 2015 6:26pm

United Kingdom 

Has anyone found a UK supply of Micro2 fuses? Searched via the usual suspects but nothing.

The piggy back connectors are available here http://www.co-star.co.uk/prod/4008/micro-2...older.html but they only do 5amp fuses in packs of 50.

I am looking to get the Thinkware F750, not sure what rate fuses it requires for hard wiring.

Tony 2018 MY19 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, Ebony/Ivory, Sliding pano, Adaptive cruise, Black wheels. Arrived 3rd September 2018
2015 MY16 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, ebony/cirrus, sliding pano, cameras, black wheels - Arrived 1 October 2015

Post #487291 Fri Feb 12 2016 6:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

There is a spare of each amp in the boot fuse box. I like keeping spare fuses so I ordered 2 of each from forum sponsor duckworthparts. Very reasonable price and arrived in a few days (could have been the following working day but Dan had to order from the supplier). Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #487311 Fri Feb 12 2016 10:23pm

United Kingdom 

Thanks, I will get in touch with Dan. Thought I was going to have to order them from the USA via Amazon.

Tony 2018 MY19 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, Ebony/Ivory, Sliding pano, Adaptive cruise, Black wheels. Arrived 3rd September 2018
2015 MY16 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, ebony/cirrus, sliding pano, cameras, black wheels - Arrived 1 October 2015

Post #487312 Fri Feb 12 2016 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I've hardwired Thinkware in my DS and it was very similar to blackvue install I did in previous RRSs

http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2511

Initially had problems with GPS siting front camera in dotted area as per handbook but now working in middle of screen as per Thinkware instructions

All cables are hidden and used same fuses and piggyback from previous blackvue install

Have had 3 blackvue and reliability was poor so trying the Thinkware this time. I've turned off lane departure and collision but find the speed camera alert useful Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #487314 Fri Feb 12 2016 11:09pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Just wonder what you guys think of this installation. This is a Road Angel Halo front and rear camera unit professionally installed. I'm happy enough with the front camera installation but the rear camera installation seems a bit untidy. The installer told me that on the L494 there is no space under the interior plastic panel of the tailgate to run the wiring so he had to use sticky pads to secure the wiring on top of the panel. The second point is that obviously I can understand why there has to be a loop of wire to allow for lifting of the tailgate but is there more tidy way of doing it? Lastly what about the position of the camera itself? Could it be offset from the centre line and hidden higher?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #488180 Fri Feb 19 2016 11:38pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

That's awful Shocked

I ran cable inside rubber tubing that carries wiring for tailgate lights etc on the DS so I'm sure something similar can be done on RRS Confused

If that's a professional job I'm glad I did my own Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #488181 Fri Feb 19 2016 11:46pm
Farmer Chalk

If you look earlier in this thread you will see I had exactly the same problem on my 494... The camera location is easily changed and because of the dirty sweep of the rear wiper I offset mine slightly to one side but at the top of the screen certainly neater than yours...

The loop of wire is necessary because the tailgate is solid and with no ability to feed a wire through the interior of the panel...frustrating and I would love to see if anyone had done it successfully...

Will take photos of my installation for you!

Post #488182 Fri Feb 19 2016 11:51pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Will take photos of my installation for you!

Yes please!

Post #488183 Fri Feb 19 2016 11:54pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

On the second photo I can see rubber tubes at bottom of pic that I threaded my cable through on DS so it must be possible too Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #488185 Fri Feb 19 2016 11:57pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
On the second photo I can see rubber tubes at bottom of pic that I threaded my cable through on DS so it must be possible too

Thanks I understand that but the installer said that there was no space under the plastic panel to run the wiring to the screen

Post #488189 Sat Feb 20 2016 12:03am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

On the DS the cables for demist and brake light run in the trim so my cable for camera did too

I popped trim off to check when planning installation

Unfortunately I don't have access to a RRS2 so can't help further Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #488192 Sat Feb 20 2016 12:08am
Farmer Chalk

Be exceptionally careful prising these rubbers off... They are held in place with a extremely brittle clip which if they break you're dead.... The complete boot loom will need to be refitted.... Once inside the tailgate side there is no where to feed the camera wire and the boot is a bonded plastic panel and despite hours off trying to feed coat hangers, cable feeders etc etc I found no where to slide the wire.... In the end I had to cut a corner out of the rubber block out and come back out...not ideal!

Post #488193 Sat Feb 20 2016 12:09am
hafman

United Kingdom 

Just bringing this thread back to the fore, and wondering if anyone has had any success with mounting a rear camera in an L494; my installer came up with the same problem as has been mentioned above (seemingly impossible to get between door trim and outer skin), so how to feed a wire through from one of the two rubber "hoses".

Has anyone managed to speed, or am I going to have to accept that a neat rear camera installation is just a step too far/

Many thanks,

Post #511107 Tue Nov 29 2016 9:45pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Had the latest Blackvue fitted professionally front and rear in the summer. All looks good and neat – he didn't seem to have any trouble threading the wire through to the boot. When the boot is closed you only see the inch of wire to the connection which would be visible however the cable was run.

To ensure it’s not too obvious from both inside and out he did fit camera back from glass, attaching to the front of plastic panel across top of boot. This does mean some of the field of view is lost but clarity still perfect and makes the camera completely unobtrusive.

Post #511271 Thu Dec 01 2016 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>