RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Help Stuck in France
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>

nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Help Stuck in France

RRS 2011 TDV6 HSE. Stopped for about 3 hours for lunch and walk (In France, La Rochelle) Came back and alarm but unable to get into car. Used the emergency key to get in but all the electrics dead except for drivers side front and back electric windows. Put booster battery on our battery but no difference. Put jump leads on from large truck and still no difference. Advised by LR Garage in UK to take the negative battery lead off for 10 minutes to clear the ECU - again nothing.

LR La Rochelle cannot pick up the car so tomorrow using a Ford dealer to pick up the car and take to the LR dealer in La Rochelle.

As anyone got any idea what this might be please?

Post #465699 Thu Jun 25 2015 5:11pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I guess you didnt have a Multimeter with you (not the usual thing to pack in your holiday bag).

I suspect its the Alternator. It may have taken the battery out as well. The truck, was it 24v.....?(Most trucks are) Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #465700 Thu Jun 25 2015 6:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel52

Hi Bodsy the truck was a small truck with 12 volts. Actually I do have in the car a cigarette lighter fitment that is a digital voltmeter. Forgot to use it but the most it would have told me was the battery volts not whether the alternator was working as I could not start the car.

The car is about 5 miles away from where I am staying so I could go back and see what my battery volts are. I also have a multimeter I can take with me.

I guess I was hoping there was something I could do to save all the issues and cost of having the car hauled in to the La Rochelle LR dealer and waiting how ever many days it takes them to get around to looking at it.

Post #465702 Thu Jun 25 2015 6:39pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

So the volts would help to indicate if its just a bit of a flat battery (10 volts maybe) or if it's a trollied alternator that has taken the battery with it (Much less volts if any at all).

Were you able to lock it with the remote? or only with the key? It does sound like Alternator/battery though. I guess you dont have a battery charger with you? You could always take the battery off and bring it back for a charge. You'd have to manually lock the car which I guess is what you have already done? Bodsys Brake Bible
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #465703 Thu Jun 25 2015 6:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel52

Bodsey I will go and check the volts and take a battery charger with me and leave it on charge all night. Must decide what to do as car being picked up by breakdown truck tomorrow at 08.30. Any more suggestions before I leave to visit the car?

Post #465704 Thu Jun 25 2015 7:10pm
nigel52

Central locking not working had to use emergency key.

Post #465709 Thu Jun 25 2015 7:23pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Have you taken the battery off to charge? If the Alternator is fubared, it will just drag it completely down.

Sounds like it still needs recovering to fix it, even if the charged battery will allow it to unlock properly and get it out of Drive.

Of course, remote diagnostics means it coiuld be almost anything, like a stuck relay or no earth connection for some reason, but unlikely. Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #465711 Thu Jun 25 2015 7:29pm
nigel52

Just checked battery voltage at the battery terminals 12.39 volts plug in battery indicator that plugs into cigarette lighter not registering at all. All electric windows works intermittently ,horn, electric seats but not memory function, clock. No lights or interior lights, n central locking or boot. Put on battery charger which over 30 minutes took battery voltage to 13.31 volts but no difference to what worked. Have now left on trickle charge overnight but do not expect it to make any difference.

Question: if it is a failed alternator surely I should be able to start the car if battery ok?

Post #465715 Thu Jun 25 2015 8:36pm
nigel52

L R garage were reluctant to tell me how to get it out of drive for the recovery truck to winch it onboard. They said the recovery people will know how to disengage drive. One wonders how one would tow a car like this?

Post #465717 Thu Jun 25 2015 8:40pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

On P38's you fit a spare fuse in the drivers seat fuse box which makes the transfer box go into neutral, I think you do a similar thing on the RRS/D3 it tells you what to do in the owners manual. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #465722 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:11pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

with that voltage it should start.

You've checked the battery connections, making sure the terminals are tight and the earth strap is tight?

Could just be a connection not tight, but it could also be corroded ECU
Has it been jetwashed recently? Bodsys Brake Bible
See it HERE

Post #465723 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:13pm
Camelrock

If it's an earth issue as Bodsey's suggests try a jump lead from battery earth to the engine, then see if it starts 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
1994 Dakar current

Post #465725 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:18pm
nigel52

Bodsy wrote:
with that voltage it should start.

You've checked the battery connections, making sure the terminals are tight and the earth strap is tight?

Could just be a connection not tight, but it could also be corroded ECU
Has it been jetwashed recently?

Engine has never been jetwashed. Body jetwashed about a month ago but very carefully just to get the worst dirt off before handwashing. Battery terminals are tight. New battery in Feb this year.

Looks like have to trust the LR garage here in La Rochelle and see what they say.

Post #465727 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:23pm
nigel52

Camelrock wrote:
On P38's you fit a spare fuse in the drivers seat fuse box which makes the transfer box go into neutral, I think you do a similar thing on the RRS/D3 it tells you what to do in the owners manual.

Thanks will read the manual again as must have missed this.

Post #465728 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:23pm
Camelrock

Just remembered another possibility had this on a D3, ignition lights etc but would not start it was a manual so we could tow it off, engine ran but had a boot load of lights on. The fault turned out to be a large fuse at the battery terminal, in the black box at the positive post. Fuse would blow int was a short in the starter motor. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
1994 Dakar current

Post #465737 Thu Jun 25 2015 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>