RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 P400e or D300 or P400HST
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

DWA

United Kingdom 

Never implied Landcruiser was a RRS like for like replacement but an alternative to. Would also advocate RRS as being quite a bit more than being off road capable.

Post #634948 Wed Aug 09 2023 3:29pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Oh, the RRS is very capable off road. It just hardly ever gets to play and, if it does, getting some suitable tyres can be "fun".

Both of my L320s have and do go off road. I think they wear mud so well. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #634949 Wed Aug 09 2023 3:49pm
DWA

United Kingdom 

Anyway back to subject, what is the DrRick school of thought, after all it's you writing the cheque at the end of the day

Post #634951 Wed Aug 09 2023 4:03pm
DrRick

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Maya Gold

We like and are used to the 'luxury' of the RRS.

We have had:
- FL2: Fine for living in the sitcks, but a little on the smaller side for a family of 4 in town. Bit agricultural.
- Evoque: Reverse Tardis, never again
- Disco 4: Was great, boxy usable boot, great cabin space, basic mod cons, capable of the distance drives, capable of rural living
- Disco 5: Made the mistake of buying the 2.0 Ingenium, didn't last long with us. Much better tech, much bigger vehicle (at least it felt that way).
- RRS L320 (3.6 TDV8): Great, but this coincided with the previous economic meltdown and we weren't on the salaries we're on now and MPG killed it off.
- D90 TD5: My car to go alongside the Lotus Elise S as the winter capable thing. Bombproof during my ownership.
- L494 (SDV6 x 3): Does what we want, rural and urban living. Offloaded the first one to get the Disco 5 (mistake), offloaded the second one (7 seater HSE) to get the third / current one (5 seat HSE Dynamic Autobiography).

At the time, there were no real hybrid options, and I'm just considering what should be ignored and what should be in scope now. Like I said, the L461 is too new / pricey for thought. I could just go down the line of another SDV6, but given our usage pattern, figured I'd ask those with other experiences what the hybrids were like.

My current thinking; find a local main dealer with a P400e and at least try it out. Then look at the marketplace.

Post #634952 Wed Aug 09 2023 4:33pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

P400e works for us, wife normally uses it around town 3-4 miles per day on electric only, we have octopus, battery bank, pv etc so full charge only cost £1, normally I get around 25 miles out of the battery, wife only gets around 15, heavy high heels!😂 only issue we have had is we are on our third Hv water heater under warranty, common fault on these, £1500 a time to replace. Main thing when you test drive one tell them you want it fully charged and drive it in ev mode, this time of year it should go straight into electric when you start up after selecting ev, switch at gear lever, if it starts the petrol engine then there normally is an issue with the HV heater. These are fast as they are 400 bhp when both petrol and electric run together, I get around 32 mpg on petrol alone on long runs when the electric has run out.
We like ours and will probably buy another when our private lease runs out next year.

Great car for our usage and works the same as a diesel when off road and jacked fully up in low range.

Cheers

Malc

Post #634973 Thu Aug 10 2023 10:45pm
Swiggy

Scotland 

Hi, having had a variety of JLR cars similar to yourself, then I think this depends on your use case. The decision on EV / Hybrids are entirely based on how you intend to use them - we’ve had 2 hybrids - 1 Disco sport P300e and a Defender P400e. I also had a RRS P400 HST before I got the Defender P400e, so although the P400e RRS is slightly different, I do feel I can talk about them both! My wife now has the Defender P400 e (new in Dec ‘22) and it’s now done over 10,000 miles at an average of circa 45mpg. My wife uses it to commute to work (22 miles each way, Recharges at work), but we’ve also done 3 trips from Glasgow to the south coast in England, up to Aberdeen a few times too. With our mix, it works better than either diesel or petrol, but we only get 21-22mpg on a longer journey without charge, but as they are infrequent, it works overall! The RRS P400 HST was awesome - really quick, handled well and sounded good - economical on a long journey (I used it a few times to go to Bristol for work and averaged over 32mpg at 80 mph) but it does drink fuel around town. We had a D5 with the diesel engine and I was forever trying to clear the dpf filter, although I think the RRS SDV6s are better in that respect. The Disco sport P300e was great - averaged over 100mpg for my wife’s commute but we didn’t use it for longer distances - but it has 3 new HV heater coils replaced under warranty - I think the P400e has similar issues so not sure I’d get one outside of warranty as they’re about £1100 each time! We didn’t want to run that on, so I px’d for my mid life crisis car - just got a Jaguar F Pace SVR! Anyway, best of luck with your choices, I hope that in some small way, the above will be useful!

Post #635186 Sun Aug 20 2023 10:12pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

You did very well with fuel consumption on your RRS P400. Around town I achieved 20/22mpg and on a motorway journey, Calais to Geneva for example 26/28mpg. The trip computer showed significantly better figures, a minimum of 10% optimistic.
As you say the engine is very good. Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #635187 Sun Aug 20 2023 11:00pm
DrRick

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Maya Gold

Just today test drove a Defender D300 MHEV to see whether the different model is worth considering. Short answer is that it doesn't ride well enough to be worth considering

Think we're on a short list of L494 RRS D300 MHEV, or P400 HST.

On to Autotrader!!

Post #638582 Sat Jan 06 2024 8:45pm
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I was on my second SDV6 Sport AB and was told by SWMBO to go and buy a new car as we didn’t want to be the richest couple in the graveyard.

She has a 21MY D90 D250 HSE MHEV so I saw my options as a choice of a D300 D90 or a D300 Sport ( I can get in enough trouble without going to D350 or P460/550).

I borrowed the 90 and went out for a bit of “spirited’ driving around our local roads I know well, and came back with a big grin on my face - then I took my 19 MY AB out on the same route!!!!

I’m now in my third month of ownership of a D300 AB MHEV - good as the D90 is - it’s a different beast.

The D300 L461 is my fifth Sport on the bounce, and the best one yet!😀👍

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #638585 Sat Jan 06 2024 9:36pm
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Completely agree about the L461. It’s a great car all round.

Post #638586 Sat Jan 06 2024 11:52pm
Tizzy

England 

P400 HST looks interesting! The comments on the PHEV “Laughable” range are presumably not from owners? If they were they’d know that if you use the in car sat nav it works out how to eek the battery out and even when showing 0 miles range it still keeps enough back for low speed car park manoeuvres etc. PHEV mpg on a longer run is c. 36 mpg average, which is similar to the 4.4 diesel with which its performance compares. It is much faster off the line than any of the 3.0 diesels I’ve had. In EV only mode it doesn’t like steeper hills and the engine cuts in though the display shows you the level of throttle that will result in the engine coming in so you can drive around it but it does quickly run out of steam on any real incline. Other than that and the occasional jerky drivetrain - largely fixed when the HV heater was replaced, then it’s pretty good - though I would not be brave enough to run one outside of the LR warranty! You’ll also find that MY18 facelift cars are much better than the 2016/17 cars - the new seats are much better padded and far more comfortable on a long journey, the steering feel on Auto setting is really good. In my 2016 3.0 Diesel AB I had to use Dynamic a lot to get decent steering feel, in the P400e it just stays in Auto. Hope that helps a little.

Post #638600 Sun Jan 07 2024 5:35pm
Mister B

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I have the P400 HST since 2021 because I wanted to move away from the deisel crank issues and the annoying throttle lag
At the time I was nearly tempted into the P400E but didn't because i wasn't sure about the rather small engine when the charge ran out
Have been very happy with the car, it's a great engine with very good performance
The only thing that really annoys me, and her indoors, is the high revving every time on start up
As an aside, I have been approached by the dealer to upgrade to the newer shape deisel, but the value in my car has gone down so much that it's just not a good time to change for me, so will keep for another year i think

Post #638624 Mon Jan 08 2024 12:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12