RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494 P400e or D300 or P400HST
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DrRick

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Maya Gold
L494 P400e or D300 or P400HST

So our 2017 SDV6 at 56k miles is starting to give up more times than is reasonable. It was an Approved Used, but still. We're now on the lookout for a replacement and have had all manner of LR products: FL2, Evoque, several D4s, several L494s and a D5 with the dinky engine (what a mistake).

Most usage is hauling kids around and in an urban context. (Very) Occasional longer distance drives to see family - nearest is 270 miles each way, farthest is 450 miles each way. Only going to be doing that a couple of times each year. Last couple of years haven't really taxed the mileage very much.

We have off street parking, with an outside 13A socket (no charge pod as yet).

We were pondering, what with Edinburgh & Glasgow starting up their ULEZ chats, whether we'd benefit from a PHEV (i.e. P400e) or a MHEV (i.e. D300 or P400HST) over just replacing our SDV6. Speaking to a main dealer suggested we may have the right profile for it, but next step is to try one out. That is, unless we're barking.

Anyone any thoughts?

Post #634876 Sun Aug 06 2023 7:42pm
DWA

United Kingdom 

As you have no takers I'll shove my two penny worth in, so in my humble opinion you seem to have answered your own question as far as P400e goes, with 2.0 petrol engine doing the vast majority of the work since it has laughable electric range. In the real world, if you went 2.5 miles and back for a pint of milk you would probably need to plug it in again, as you would have used 1/4 ish of it's range, so as far as petrol is concerned because that is what P400e will spend the majority of it's life running on it's down to either 2.0l or 3.0l and 3.0l wins it for me. So that brings the choice of 3.0l petrol or diesel and in my opinion it would be diesel every time providing you can keep the dpf clean, I wouldn't worry about low emission zones because either way you will be screwed anyway

Post #634918 Tue Aug 08 2023 7:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you're doing lots of short, local journeys, diesel doesn't make any sense these days. The DPF will hate you, for one thing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #634920 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:33pm
RRSTDV8

Re: L494 P400e or D300 or P400HST

DrRick wrote:
So our 2017 SDV6 at 56k miles is starting to give up more times than is reasonable.

What sort of things are going wrong? Is it cheaper to replace or just fix what you have? Do you use an LR dealership or an independent? A decent indie will be cheaper and do a better job resulting in a happier ownership experience. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #634921 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:36pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Well I would go for the P400e if you can charge overnight at home for 7.5p a Kw/hr with Octopus.
I get 30 mile range during warmer weather and probably 24 miles in cold weather.
You get more electric miles if you run in hybrid mode rather than as pure electric, that's because the car will for instance use the petrol engine when climbing a steep hill as that is more effective. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Last edited by jimbg on Tue Aug 08 2023 9:41pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #634922 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:36pm
DrRick

So far, we've had to replace the ACE pump, the valve block for the active roll system, the main battery and now I think the suspension height sensors at the rear (front suspension isn't playing up, but the rear is).

Key to all this is that my wife as main driver / owner of the vehicle has lost confidence in it.

Local indie is heaving with LR products, and a busy shop is a good sign in my opinion. Boss is an LR Master Tech, and even the current LR Main Stealer techs still refer to him as an LR Whisperer.

He's got the car at the moment to solve the suspension / height freakout issue.

Post #634923 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:39pm
DrRick

jimbg wrote:
Well I would go for the P400e if you can charge overnight at home for 7.5p a Kw/hr with Octo[us.
I get 30 mile range during warmer weather and probably 24 miles in cold weather.
You get more electric miles if you run in hybrid mode rather than as pure electric, that's because the car will for instance use the petrol engine when climbing a steep hill as that is more effective.

We're not on a 'clever' utility package at the moment. Thanks to the recent economic meltdown, we're one of the unfortunate lot who were on a 'decent' / cheaper supplier who went bust and we were shunted to British Gas for our sins. Now waiting to get a sensible deal somewhere that won't bankrupt us.

Post #634924 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:42pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have you looked at Octopus?

I have a £50 code if you are interested! Whistle Thumbs Up 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #634926 Tue Aug 08 2023 9:47pm
RRSTDV8

DrRick wrote:
So far, we've had to replace the ACE pump, the valve block for the active roll system, the main battery and now I think the suspension height sensors at the rear (front suspension isn't playing up, but the rear is).

Key to all this is that my wife as main driver / owner of the vehicle has lost confidence in it.

Ah, yes, if SWMBO has decided it's not for her then that's basically it done.

Sounds like you've been unlucky with the Dynamic Response system if you've needed a pump and valve block. Battery is a consumable item, frankly, once it's a few years old. Height sensors is an strange one. One going, maybe, but two would be most unusual. What's it doing at the rear? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #634935 Tue Aug 08 2023 10:59pm
DrRick

Oh yes, the (consumable) rear flexi hoses for the brakes are due to be replaced before the MOT as they’re corroded, and the parking brake is grabbing / dragging on release. Think it’s doing the suspension back from levelling itself, and there’s an audible clunk from the near side rear and a little jerk as the car levels.

That being said this last time, it was dropping the outside rear on entering, navigating and leaving a roundabout. So that’s a left, right, left for us in the UK. When I say dropping, I mean outside rear wheel to the turn dropped to ‘access’ while inside rear stayed at ‘Normal’, then when the switch happened, the low wheel levelled and the other one dropped. Very weird.

Last test was in a level car park, moving off from a space it dropped one wheel, travelled a bit, then levelled off, with a clunk.

Post #634938 Wed Aug 09 2023 7:26am
DWA

United Kingdom 

Going by your choice of P400e looks like you are going with another L494, this might not be too pc on a RRS forum and I'm probably going to get shot down in flames, but reality is and I say this as a Land Rover pervert of 30 ish years, but how long is another L494 going to solve your problems for. I know loads are running every day and never put a wheel over a garage door, but I also know mine has it's fair share of problems as do loads more and so has every Land Rover I have ever run from Freelander to RRS and every one in between. Just putting it out there as food for thought after all that's what these things are all about.

Post #634941 Wed Aug 09 2023 12:09pm
DrRick

We've had a bunch of LR products....and one BMW equivalent. We're also well scarred by the fact that LR vehicles have high bork potential....yet we still come back.

Some have been flawless, some have needed basics, some have needed more intense intervention. This one is one of those in the latter category.

My Autotrader app has a few vehicles saved for consideration, including BMW X5 m50d, and X5 m50i, and a bunch of L494's (p400e, D300 and a solitary P400 HST). All are 'Approved Used' for an extra level of peace of mind.

Budget doesn't stretch to the L461, so a later L494 is in the frame. My dad suggested a Toyota may be worth a look. Politely told him we were no longer living in the Middle East! At the end of the day, it's not going to be my vehicle, and she knows what she likes.

We're not ready, and more importantly the countries infrastructure, isn't ready for full electric yet for the sort of vehicle we want. I think we'll be talking hydrogen power before long in preference to elec, but that's a whole different topic. Most I'll consider is hybrid.

Post #634942 Wed Aug 09 2023 12:21pm
DWA

United Kingdom 

I know the problem, had enough of Land Rover a few years back and went to the dark side and bought an
F Pace, but only had it for 3 months and went back to RRS. Just fyi there is a new Landcruiser coming,
ordering last quarter this year and early next year delivery, looks like a Defender and should be the same as other Toyota vehicles, in that if serviced within Toyota network they extend the warranty every year up to 10 years. How very modern and puts certain manufacturers to shame, but it's only a car and not a
Land Rover car.

Post #634944 Wed Aug 09 2023 1:10pm
RRSTDV8

The new LandCruiser very much doesn't compete with the RRS, however. It's aimed at those that need/want off road ability and the ability to modify it for serious off road use. It's not competing in the luxurious, off road-capable, sports-limo category in which the RRS really finds itself. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #634946 Wed Aug 09 2023 2:08pm
DrRick

Indeed, my formative years were Wadi Bashing in Oman in the back of a Nissan Patrol. Group of like minded expatriates, no plans, no emergency cover, limited resources but it just worked. It was desert, rocks and heat.

I now live in Edinburgh, which is anything but those factors. Off-road here involves surviving the granite kerbs and potholes (maybe that does warrant a Prado or the like Laughing ).

Post #634947 Wed Aug 09 2023 2:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>