RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Strange noise possibly coming from compressor ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AIJ 615

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Strange noise possibly coming from compressor ?

Hi Gents

So today I noticed a noise coming from the car which is coming from the back end and listening to it on the ground I’m sure it’s directly in front of the near side rear wheel from a box. The box itself sound like that of a compressor and has a very slight vibration to it.

The car is still at normal height and the access level and also off road level still work with no issues.

Feels like possibly the compressor is constantly on ?

Any ideas - I’m sure its definitely coming from whatever is in front of the passengers side rear wheel area (see photo)

Post #626936 Wed Sep 28 2022 6:48pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Your right that’s the air compressor for the suspension. Need more info on the noise though. Is it something you’ve not heard before or your just getting round to it. Does the suspension perform ok in its functions and does it sit well? I get an occasional dump valve puff (only the one) but I don’t hear any noise from mine, but then I’m in the car when it’s being lowered or raised to get the dogs in. Others will be along today. Forget the gearbox oil, you be changing the compressor Very Happy 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #626951 Thu Sep 29 2022 7:40am
AIJ 615

Hi, thanks for reply.

I’ve only had the car just under 2 weeks but yesterday morning was the first time I ever heard it, the noise has not been on before. At first I thought it was the (I’m assuming the RRS has this but don’t they have an engine warm up burner) - it was a cold’ish morning so thought it was this. It went off after 3 mins

Then as i was pulling in my street last night it came on again, and I got out me car to listen which is when I took that photo. It sounds like a compressor so I guessed it was. The normal up n down functions of the air suspension work perfect in fact when I go up and down the compressor actually then stops.

I’ve had no warning lights come up,

If it was the compressor I’m thinking

A) is it covered in the garage warranty where I got it from
B) if it wasn’t covered would it be just a mechanical garage I take it to for repair (I’m assuming if I supplied the compressor from eBay would be cheaper maybe) ?

Alan

Post #626953 Thu Sep 29 2022 7:53am
AIJ 615

Update

So this morning I had to do a short journey aprox 2.5 mile. Started the RRS 2010 up on the drive and after 10 secs the compressor kicked in, I pulled off the drive and literally got maybe 2 mins worth of driving max and the compressor went off. Hasn’t been on since and also never came back on when I did the stop / start return journey

Thankful it didn’t stay continuously on however I’m wondering if I should be concerned at all ?

Thinking the garage I brought it from does a warranty so I’m also wondering if this would be covered if indeed anything actually wrong with it ?

Alan

Post #626956 Thu Sep 29 2022 11:23am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Its generally ok if it comes on at start up. It’s possible there is a small leak.

If you can hear it easily I expect it’s warn though and will need replacement soon.

Warranty will only cover broken things. Not worn or noisy.

Post #626961 Thu Sep 29 2022 12:28pm
AIJ 615

I have some more info on this….

So yeah basically I’ve had a conversation with the previous owner (he runs the garage) and he’s always been honest with me and seems a decent guy. Anyway he says the compressor on it is only 12 months old and asked me if the RRS has been jacked up recently and I replied it bad because I had a puncture and had a new tyre put on it.

He started to tell me about possibly need recalibrating and usually you go up and then down on he height adjustment and then back to normal height and then take it over 50mph and it recalibrated itself.

Anyone ever heard of this ?

Post #626962 Thu Sep 29 2022 1:19pm
AIJ 615

Also heard someone say turn engine on and then do a complete wheel lock turn to wheel lock turn and this resets the air suspension ?

Post #626964 Thu Sep 29 2022 4:02pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I don’t think any of that is going to help you.

Post #626967 Thu Sep 29 2022 7:27pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Steering lock to lock resets suspension, not sure who dreamt that one up. Laughing as far as new compressor fitted, there are some crap Chinese one's out there that last as long as it takes to fit them, hopefully it hasn't had one of those fitted. I think you may be worrying about nothing If everything works as should and nothing showing on 4x4 screen I would just keep it under observation to see if it get's worse.

If you lower to access height how long does it take to raise vehicle to off road height? I have also noticed on mine if have I jacked it up and changed a wheel, it does appear on the odd occasions to confuse the suspension and needs to be cycled through the range a couple of times till it sorts it self out as said.

Cheers
Col

Post #626969 Thu Sep 29 2022 8:04pm
AIJ 615

So yeah compressor not come on today at all so that’s good. I’ve been thinking my drive slips to one side as it’s not the levelest. I’m guessing overnight the RRS will try to level itself out to the lowest axel point and so when I switch it in in the morning the compressor is needed.

All seems on anyway so I think I was stressing for nothing

Al

Post #626996 Fri Sep 30 2022 6:52pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

That's what RRSs will do to you. You'll be driving along listening for the next problem. And so any slight tinkling or different road noise will have you crawling underneath or reaching for the phone. I remember seeing one comment on here from from and "old hand" (I guess). He said if you hear a noise just turn up the stereo. Whilst I don't necessarily follow this advice to the letter, it does help to balance out my concern about reaching for the cheque book versus enjoying the drive.[/s] Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #627027 Sat Oct 01 2022 3:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1