RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Ctek Quick connector fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

pjbracer1

England 
Ctek Quick connector fitting

Hi All thought id invest in a a CTEK MXS 5.0 so I can keep the battery topped up as Im not getting much use out of the car at the mo!

I fitted a new batt not so long ago but the short trips ive been doing of late and its being cold means its not really getting topped up (even if I go for a 30 min drive or so)

So I thought id fit the quick connector leads to the car to save lifitng the bonnect and use the crockodile clips for charging.

Ideally connecting them in the boot/trunk would be the ideal place as I reverse in so the plugs are closest here, and the plug would be inside the car so wont get weathered.

Has anyone done this? I have seen several posts on using the 12V connectors after messing around with the fuse board etc... or connecting under the bonnet to the jumper points and then having the lead pop out the top.

I see that LR have a kit do the same as the 12V idea and was kinda thinking along the same lines but just having the CTEK plug under the floor in the boot.

Any ideas welcomed (anyone know if th GAP tool can enable the 12V socket to be live?) If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #609776 Wed Feb 10 2021 1:29pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic57492.html
Worth a look

Post #609777 Wed Feb 10 2021 1:51pm
pjbracer1

England 

Cheers those the ones I saw. Was just thinking about going in the tail direcly to the battery was all as its more convenient to save running and extension lead was all.

When it arrives I will have a look If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #609780 Wed Feb 10 2021 2:12pm
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hello,

I have just completed this project after using the crocodile clips under the bonnet the last few times

I bought the following items and then managed to hide all of the leads behind the carpet panelling around the spare wheel.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/connect-eyelet-m8

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/255-connect-cig-socket

The 12v socket was purchased as the CTEK charger came with both the crocodile clips and a 12v plug option

I could have set up a sperate 12v socket within the side panelling of the boot, but didn't want to cut into any of the trim. Therefore the socket just sticks out from under the boot floor and I've used a '12v' logo'd socket dust cap for when I am not charging the battery.

The only issue with this set up is that my secondary battery does not get charged up at the same time. Something to bare in mind if not using the car very much and wanting to use the ASS system. "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #609784 Wed Feb 10 2021 3:35pm
pjbracer1

England 

HI Chap you got any pictures? I was thinking of getting another quick connect cable to add to the aux battery too. or was thinking if it was possible to split the splitter cable so power would be supplied to both batteries but thought it might confuse the charger as it wouldnt know when the smaller one as topped up

That said I guess the aux batt woudl get charged as soon as you went off for a drive anyway as the main one would be mostly full. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #609785 Wed Feb 10 2021 3:44pm
RRS4ED

United Kingdom 

I havent read the info on the link but if RRS AGM Battery it is usually advised NOT to charge battery directly

Post #609811 Wed Feb 10 2021 9:55pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
Does not matter which type of battery is fitted as it’s the BM system that gets confused if you connect direct to battery posts, also spark/fire risk connecting directly

Better to connect to an earth or chassis point

And it must be about time to mention using the tow socket if you have one Laughing

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #609814 Wed Feb 10 2021 10:25pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Fitting instructions if you want to buy the overpriced L/R branded Ctek kit or use the wiring diagram.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17GN_Ah-tT...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Post #609822 Wed Feb 10 2021 11:57pm
pjbracer1

England 

Doh Col got there before me!

Thing is the LR version of this charger has a kit that connect direct to the battery and then a lead runs up the right hand side of the tail up to a socket that is basically a 12v type socket that you connect he charger too so creating a permanent fixed connection to the terminals shouldn’t be an issue, he battery is dumb so to speak the bus just reads it levels and what has used it but that comes from he ecus, I don’t have the tow electrics either, i think the reason for the points under the bonnet for jumping are mainly cos the battery is tucked away under he floor and a pain to get too, I’ve heard that there is maybe a breaker there to stop a surge from a jump start to protect the electronics.

Charging the battery out of the car is yes safer just in case something should go wrong but connecting a charger directly to it shouldn’t cause an issue if the charger is not producing a charge and not sure who would connect one up that is switched on anyway.

This is the LR kit instructions so I was gonna do the same using the Ctek eyelets lead and rather than put in the new socket just have it poke out under the floor
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...oupId=1663

Was gonna do the same for the aux batt so I can top it up during times when the car doesn’t really get much of a run.

Summer is equally as much punishment on batteries with ac seats, fridges, ac and general cooling going on so thing his mod could come in handy. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #609825 Thu Feb 11 2021 12:32am
pjbracer1

England 

Cheers col I’m doing the same just with the ctek and just using the basic cables plug they supply, their official kit wires direct to the battery under the floor, it’s the same unit as far a I am aware they just charge far more to put an LR logo on it😉 If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #609826 Thu Feb 11 2021 12:39am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you are right the L/R kit is basically the MXS 5.0, the thing is you can buy the MXS 10.0 from amazon for a similar price but that's L/R for you, the 10.0 does have a couple of extra feature like a 12volt power supply, which can be handy when mucking around with the car if anybody wanted that little bit extra.

Cheers
Col

Post #609830 Thu Feb 11 2021 12:57am
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

For those that have followed the LR instructions to fit the CTEK MXS 5.0 did you use the M6 or M8 quick connector kit? I don’t intend on cutting into the trim for a 12v socket and will just leave the quick connector loose in the spare wheel well unless anyone would advise against this?

TIA

Post #626220 Sun Aug 21 2022 11:21pm
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

Heremyjill wrote:
Hello,

I have just completed this project after using the crocodile clips under the bonnet the last few times

I bought the following items and then managed to hide all of the leads behind the carpet panelling around the spare wheel.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/connect-eyelet-m8

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/255-connect-cig-socket

The 12v socket was purchased as the CTEK charger came with both the crocodile clips and a 12v plug option

I could have set up a sperate 12v socket within the side panelling of the boot, but didn't want to cut into any of the trim. Therefore the socket just sticks out from under the boot floor and I've used a '12v' logo'd socket dust cap for when I am not charging the battery.

The only issue with this set up is that my secondary battery does not get charged up at the same time. Something to bare in mind if not using the car very much and wanting to use the ASS system.

I use a CTEC and just use the terminals under the bonnet. Like you say it charges both battery’s and it’s the only time the start stop system works as it should. After a few days of using car with no charging the stop start stops working. Is the alternator on these cars large enough to charge these batteries fully in normal day to day use. In the early days of having the car I took the car to the dealers to get the stop start checked out and all they did was put it on charge over night…….

Post #626221 Mon Aug 22 2022 7:13am
jd2uk

United Kingdom 

Has anyone actually followed the LR instructions? I've taken the spare wheel out and can't seem to locate the negative point used? It appears to be directly in front of the tool kit.

TIA

Post #626230 Mon Aug 22 2022 4:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1