RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Technician at dealer driven car home without permission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Jay1001

Technician at dealer driven car home without permission

Hi,

Just wanted to see what everyone’s opinion is on this…

We dropped the SVR off at the dealer to get a brake booster and associated parts replaced under warranty. Originally the service manager said it would take a day to do the work. However due to complications fitting it to the SVR it’s taken almost a week instead.

The service manager phoned me Monday and said the car should be ready latest by Wednesday. I get the call from him today to say the work has been done however the senior technician would like to perform some more checks to make sure there are no issues.

I thought nothing of it and said ok that’s fine. Anyway I was putting the kids to bed and a nagging feeling was telling me to check the Land Rover remote app. I load it up and surprise surprise it’s no longer at the dealer.

Instead it says the technician has done 2 trips after work totalling nearly 35 miles presumably driving it home. That means when he finally drops it back tomorrow the car would have done a 70 mile round trip with the majority of it being up the A1 where hardly braking will be taking place.

Now I’ve got 2 issues with this. Firstly the service manager never mentioned that the employee would be driving it home and keeping it at their house overnight, nor did he ask permission whether this was ok to do. Secondly the car will end up doing a 70 mile round trip for something that could have been tested driving around for a few miles near the dealership. I might sound like a tight arse but why should he get a free ride home and to work using my SVR’s petrol especially when he doesn’t live close to the dealership and why has he taken a detour before driving home as well?

I have a good relationship with the service manager who has helped me out loads with other warranty issues with the car as well as price matching it’s service to another garage that was a lot cheaper than them. It feels like he’s betrayed my trust here by not being up front and honest about how the technician would be checking the car.

Am I right to be annoyed or do you think I’m over reacting? Input appreciated.

Cheers

B

Post #625878 Wed Aug 03 2022 10:51pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

It's common from what I've seen but I'd have a quiet word with the service manager and air your concerns.... Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #625879 Thu Aug 04 2022 6:31am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Frankly, I would say that's taking the proverbial. I would inspect the car with a fine tooth comb when you go to pick it up as who knows where its been kept (on a driveway with kids kicking a ball about?) and I would require an explanation as to the necessity for a "test drive" to involve other than going from the dealer premises and back. I would also ask about the insurance status should something have happened when it was used for commuting/shopping by the employee.
Had they sought your permission before it's use, what would you have said? That's the approach I would take and would expect some consideration from the dealer, not least a refuel.
It may be a common occurrence, but the owner should be made aware of their intentions beforehand so the above concerns can be considered.

Post #625882 Thu Aug 04 2022 6:54am
Deep92

United Kingdom 

Not much of an issue, quite often cars need “real world” testing and not just diagnostic machines plugged in.

I’d be over the moon if my dealership could do this kind of testing. Only my local independents do it.

Post #625883 Thu Aug 04 2022 7:24am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Lets be honest here, if it were a Nissan Micra, would he have taken it home, I think not.

The only reason he did, was that he wanted to show off/see what it could do/etc., etc,.

If it was a problem starting in the mornings or whilst warming up, maybe a different story, but would only be acceptable after discussing it with you, as has happened to me in the past.

My lads C63 has just been given a recall notice, the garage offered to collect it and deliver it back, leaving a loan car with him. Very good service we all agree, but he doesn't want some car cleaning youth thrashing his pride and joy, especially as it can swop ends at a drop of a hat if you're not aware of its potential.

So he's going to drop it off and collect it himself, taking note of the mileage, as a new passenger air bag does not need a road test.

Garages would appear to 'lie' to us on a constant basis, thinking we are stupid and gullible, I'd insist on a tank full of fuel and a free service.

As a thought, your insurance company asks where the vehicle is parked overnight, possibly being parked on the road in a less than sociable area might have invalidated this, then what?

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #625886 Thu Aug 04 2022 7:57am
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

You say you have a good relationship with the service manager so you need to speak with him and get an explanation.

Maybe (at best) they've not told you everything they need to do to test it before handing it back to you. At the other end of the scale, and above and beyond the possible insurance issues, is the possibility of the car being taken without consent.

You say the service manager may have betrayed your trust... do you actually know if the service manager is aware of where the car has been!? If the technician has used it without the consent of the service manager then quite simply the technician has taken the car unlawfully. Unless the law has changed it would be the garage who report it to the police as the car was "theirs" at the time. Technical but that's the law as I remember.

Have a conversation with the manager, and, depending on what he says, take it from there. As another person has said, it may well be to your advantage that the car was taken on this journey but that should have been communicated.

As for whether he would have been as "thorough" with a Nissan Micra.... Laughing

Speak with them. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Last edited by BJH1959 on Thu Aug 04 2022 11:26am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #625891 Thu Aug 04 2022 9:20am
scarey

its all very wrong..

i'd be fuming.... Evil or Very Mad

Post #625892 Thu Aug 04 2022 9:48am
Jay1001

So just an update.

I phoned up the service manager to see if the car is ready and he says yeah. Then I say oh by the way why was the car driven to hitchin last night and driven back today?

His voice changes and he says oh because there’s only one technician that can do extended testing on the car and that is where all cars get driven to and driven back. So basically some crap excuse.

I say really? A 70 mile round trip seems excessive. You never mentioned on the phone it would be driven that far and left somewhere else overnight. Also are you going fill it back up then as it was full when I dropped it off to you? I can see on the app the bloke has used at least £40 worth of fuel and whenever I get a curtesy car from you I have to sign a document saying to give it back as is with the same amount of fuel in it. He says let me speak to my manager and I’ll get back to you.

He then phoned me back saying because it’s taken longer than normal to fix the car etc we will give you a goodwill payment of £150.

If that isn’t an admission of guilt then I don’t know what is.

Wonder if he knew head office wouldn’t look to kindly on what had happened…

Post #625908 Thu Aug 04 2022 3:56pm
Lrstaylor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue

Should have reported it stolen and tolled the old bill where it was. They would have woken him in in the night with a loud knock on his door....bet he wouldn't fo it again clearly all bull from the dealer.

Post #625912 Thu Aug 04 2022 4:27pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Should have reported it stolen and tolled the old bill where it was. They would have woken him in in the night with a loud knock on his door Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry ....bet he wouldn't fo it again clearly all bull from the dealer.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
That would be a sight to see. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #625913 Thu Aug 04 2022 6:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Lrstaylor wrote:
Should have reported it stolen and tolled the old bill where it was. They would have woken him in in the night with a loud knock on his door....bet he wouldn't fo it again clearly all bull from the dealer.

And then the car is recorded as a stolen and recovered. Would that impact the resale value? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #625915 Thu Aug 04 2022 6:39pm
Nick900

United Kingdom 

I consider a complete p*** take.

£150 is not a good will gesture its a bribe to not report to JLR. The road test needed to be a few miles.

Simple consideration is if you were asked if the service tech could take it home, leave it overnight and bring it back the next day would you have agreed?

I would not. In doing so they abused your trust and hoped you would not notice, shocking.

I would want considerably more and an admission of their error in allowing this to take place.

Post #625920 Thu Aug 04 2022 9:09pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Lrstaylor wrote:

And then the car is recorded as a stolen and recovered. Would that impact the resale value?

Would only be recorded if insurance company was informed I guess. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #625921 Thu Aug 04 2022 9:34pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Nick900 wrote:
I consider a complete p*** take.

£150 is not a good will gesture its a bribe to not report to JLR. The road test needed to be a few miles.

Simple consideration is if you were asked if the service tech could take it home, leave it overnight and bring it back the next day would you have agreed?

I would not. In doing so they abused your trust and hoped you would not notice, shocking.

I would want considerably more and an admission of their error in allowing this to take place.

Thing is, if you told JLR, they wouldn't care two hoots. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #625924 Thu Aug 04 2022 10:26pm
Sudds

United Kingdom 

Same thing happened to a friend of mine with his SVR and he complained and then escalated to LR customer service, the same day the dealer principal phoned him to apologise and offered him a free service and filled the car up with fuel.

He said that was the best he could get out of them.

Post #625983 Sun Aug 07 2022 8:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>